GRAYSON COUNTY, TEXAS
in honor of S. D. Steedman, a Grayson County judge. The town was
established in 1880 and a post office was granted that same year.
In 1909 Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad arrived.
Steedman renamed for railroad attorney James
(photo courtesy of Jean
Morrison appears on a street in the old town of Hagerman..
The town was covered by water when Lake Texoma was built.
Sherman Public Library
1889 the Smith brothers, J.P., W.N. and Maurice, originally from
Fordyce, Ark, bought the O.H.Willis Survey east of Big Mineral Creek in
When the section was divided among the brothers in
1904, J.P.Smith had ten acres in the North East corner surveyed. The
streets were designated and named. The Missouri, Kansas & Texas
Railroad switch already at the site had been named Hagerman for an
official of the railroad.
T.M. Smith, another brother, had joined
the Smiths on the farm. He, with his wife, Ida and daughter, Norah,
occupied the first residence on the townsite. W.N. Smith, his wife,
Lucy, and son Elbert, moved into the second residence. They reared
their family, including Elbert, Bruce, Mary, Robert and Edwin in the
area. All made valuable contributions to the community.
families were established in the vicinity. In 1888, Judge Seth Daniel
Steedman, former Judge of Grayson County, moved to a farm near Dever
Switch about a mile west of the Hagerman Switch. The Steedman
postoffice was established in the Steedman home with Mrs. Steedman as
post-mistress. The postoffice was later moved to the Henderson store,
also near Dever Switch. This postoffice was later discontinued.
The U.S. postoffice was established at Hagerman and A.B. McClendon as
the first postmaster. R.L. Sweeney was the last postmaster. He was
transferred from the discontinued postoffice to Perrin Air Force Base
postoffice where he is still serving.
In 1901 the Steedman
Presbyterian Church was organized in the Plainview school house. The
church later became the Hagerman Presbyterian Church. After the
government bought the property the church was moved to the Hyde Park
community and became Hyde Park Presbyterian Church. The Methodist
church was organized in the Presbyterian church in 1907 and continued
to worship there until it was dissolved in 1943.
Baptist Church was organized in 1922. The church was moved two miles
east of the townsite and continues as Hagerman Baptist Church. The
church, the cemetery and the Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge are the
only remaining users of the name Hagerman.
"In 1904 James
Patillo (J.P.) Smith platted streets here in a ten acre wheat field and
established the town of Hagerman, named for railroad attorney James P.
Hagerman. The town consisted of 250
residents, a cotton gin, school, church, post office, railroad depot,
and several businesses by 1910. The town prospered and grew to contain
three churches and a three teacher school. However in the 1920s
residents and businesses began to abandon the area when it became known
that the creation of Lake Texoma would completely inundate the town.
Lake Texoma was created in 1943."
Not long after the town of Hagerman was founded in 1904, a cotton gin
was built, adding to the town's prosperity.
Even though Hagerman was booming in 1920, the town was doomed by the
end of that decade.
In the early 1940s, Lake Texoma was built and the town was inundated.
Cedar of Lebanon
Ghost Towns Under Lake Texoma
by Mia Sherwood Landua
Friends of Hagerman NWR
Texas State Historical Commission
Hagerman Community Map 1938
Hagerman Historical Marker
Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
Hagerman Plat Map of 1908
Hagerman Presbyterian Church
Secrets of the Lake
Sherman Public Library