Grayson County TXGenWeb
Hagerman Presbyterian Church
1901 - 1942

 




HYDE PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH U.S.
The first church in this community before it became a part of Denison began with Sunday School and Worship Services in the Hyde Park School aided by the Rev. Raymond Partlow and Ministerial students from Austin College.  When Lake Texoma was built, the church of Hagerman was moved to the present site and had its opening services May 3, 1943.
The original church was organized in the Plainview school July 29, 1901 under the name of Steedman Presbyterian.  It later became Hagerman Presbyterian Church.  In 1905 a one-room building was erected in Hagerman.  In 1924 the south wing and steeple was added.  The building was moved to the Hyde Park Community under the direction of Dr. Herbert S. Springall, Superintendant of Home Missions of Dallas Presbytery, and Dr. Ray S. McCall, pastor of Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church in Sherman.  
The present structure was built under the pastorate of Dr. Guy B. Duff and dedicated July 1, 1956.  Dr. Duff served the church from 1949 - 1957.  The original building was razed in 1960 and the educational annex was added under the direction of Rev. Thurman Levacy, present pastor.  
The Church has been served by several Austin College Ministerial students and by interim pastors.  Rev. George Walker was pastor of the church between the terms of Dr. Duff and Rev. Mr. Levacy.

Sherman Public Library

Genealogy Collections


HAGERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

In 1901, the Steedman Presbyterian Church was organized in the Plainview school house.  The church later became the Hagerman Presbyterian Church.
After the government bought the property, the church was moved to the Hyde Park community and became Hyde Park Presbyterian Church.




HAGERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
FINAL SERVICE

The bell seen above stands beside the Hyde Park Building.
Building materials to construct a Fellowship Hall at Hyde Park came from the original Hagerman Presbyterian Church.


OTHER CHURCHES

The Methodist Church was organized in the Presbyterian Church in 1907 and continued to worship there until it was dissolved in 1943.
The Hagerman Baptist Church was organized in 1922. The church moved two miles east of the townsite and continues as Hagerman Baptist Church.


TXGenWeb
USGenWeb
WorldGenWeb
Elaine Bay
2009

Questions?  Broken Links?