Photograph by Beverly Jay Martin
Located on land patented by Anderson White On certificate
issued April 23, 1850, By Peter's Colony, an immigration project
which had received a large land grant in this region from the Republic
of Texas. Burial plot was begun Jan. 6, 1857, upon the death of White's
daughter, Sarah White Haning, wife of Aaron Haning, one week later, on
Jan.13, a second grave was added, that of Haning's Mother ( Rachel Pierce
In June 1857, White sold his land in the area, but reserved 2 acres
surrounding the burial site, deeded April 1859 to trustees for a public
Named for Benjamin F. Hall, pioneer minister of the Disciples of
Christ, Doctor, Dentist and Lawyer, who owned the White property from 1857
to 1872 and founded several churches in the region.
Among those buried here are the first settlers of this part of Grayson
County, who migrated to Texas from the Eastern United States, a number
of veterans of the Army of the Confederate States of America, and several
rural victims of the Great Sherman Tornado of May 15, 1896.
Subsequent donations of land by J.D. Barnett and Lee Bivins increased
the cemetery to present size by 1918.