My fraternal MAY FAMILY GENEALOGY
Peter May and Eve Smith are listed as parents on Phillip May’s certificate of marriage to Ida Mae Atwell dated Nov 8, 1880 in St. Louis, MO. In the 1850 US census, Peter M. May (born about 1805 in Germany) and Eve May (born about 1818 in Germany) were living in Preston, Virginia with children: Margaret (age 12 born ne: 1838 Maryland), Phillip (age 10 born ne: 1840 Maryland), and John (age 4 born ne: 1846 Maryland)
Philip C. May, Jr. died Oct 7, 1890 (50 yr. 10.mo. 2days conclude birth ne: Dec 5, 1839 or Jan 1, 1840) Middle name may have been Christopher according to one family record. Buried on southeast hill in Calvary Hill Cemetery Denison, Tx. (Note: name spelled with two “l’s” on tombstone - Phillip and a “Jr.” status indicating there was probably some former relative named Phillip C. May - maybe an uncle or grandfather)
He married Ida Mae Atwell
(b. Aug. 30, 1859 – d. June 30, 1929 at age 69), daughter of Lucinda Pike and
William Atwell. Bible marriage certificate record shows P.C. May from
Baltimore, Maryland and Ida from Louisville, Kentucky. They married at St. Teresa
Catholic Church on
1. Phillip C. May (Oct 21, 1881- Feb. 4, 1963) born in St. Louis, MO married Lydia "Lyda" Weaver (April 11, 1886 - Oct.15, 1967) at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Denison, Texas Nov. 1, 1910. Middle name may have been Clarence according to one family record. He changed it to Chesterfield. Known by grandchildren as “Tee-Taw”, Phil called Lyda “Chief”. Phil worked as a motorman on old Texas Electric Rail Road which ran from Denison to Dallas (1903 diary). Took Civil Service exam Oct. 25, 1905; joined post office as a letter carrier on Saturday, Nov. 1, 1905 and was appointed a regular carrier on Oct. 15, 1907. He retired in 1944. Interested in horticulture, he raised roses, peonies, apples, pears, grapes, black walnut and pecan trees; had horny toads and tarantula spiders as pets to eat the bugs in the garden. He may have been left-handed from slant of his writing. Phil and Lyda are buried north side of entry road in Calvary Hill Cemetery in Denison, Texas. Two children:
1A - Frances Elizabeth May (Aug 23, 1911- July 22, 2005) attended Lamar grade school and DHS in Denison, Tx. Married Wiley Beal Grinnell of Sherman, Tx. on Nov. 24, 1929 (b. Sept. 21, 1911 – d. Jan 3, 1995) Both are buried in Beaumont, Tx. Five children:
1a-1 Wiley Beal Grinnell, Jr. b. Sept. 21, 1933 - d. 1981(cancer); (married Sylvia Roberts, Elizabeth Waldrop Delord,
& Jeannie Bailey
1a-2 Emma Lynn Grinnell – b. July 30, 1940 married Paul Jesko in 1959 and had 2 boys 2 girls; divorced 1975, married J.C.Tere; divorced and married Kerwin Mellow; divorced and remarried Paul Jesko
1a-3 Maria Jean “Reecie”Grinnell married T.E. Lyons in 1964 and had two sons:
1a-3a Brad & Teresa
2 sons: Austin & Paxton
1a-3b Vic & Sheryl
2 daughters: Lily & Aven
Reecie divorced Lyons in 1975; married Ron McCrieght 1976, divorced 1982; married
James Ronny McCrieght 1985, divorced in 1989
1a-4 Thomas Kelly Grinnell married Sandra Lee Shepherd on May 15, 1981; 6 children:
1a-4-1 Brett Patrick Grinnell married
Krista LynnVan Hess
on Jan 25, 2002.
1a-4-2 Erika Lynn Grinnell married Matthew Rhodes
on May 25, 2008.
1a-4-3 Kevin Todd Grinnell
1a-4-4 Anthony Scott Grinnell
1a-4-5 Brian Matthew Grinnell
1a-4-6 Lisa Ann Grinnell
1a-5 Frances Margaret “Babe” Grinnell married Patrick Hugh Gallagher in 1968 and had two children:
1a-5a Lee Gallagher
1a-5b Regina Gallagher Halpert
1B - Philip
Chesterfield “Doc” May (Jan 24, 1913
– April 12, 2003) married Margaret
Evelyn May (Dec. 16, 1917 – still living) at St. Patrick Catholic Church in
1b-1 Karla Margo May married January 23, 1965 to Martin Anthony Warborg from Iowa (8 children: Tanya Lee, James Michael 1967- 1992, work accident), Jason Thomas 1968 - 1984 cancer, Martin Anthony “Marty, Heather Lynn, Chad Aaron, Jonathan Daniel, and Trudy Gayle
1b-2 Philip Kyle May married Bettye Faulkner and had 2 children: Christopher Todd & Amy Michelle. Divorced. Married Cindy unknown on Dec. 16, 198? . They adopted Matthew Jacob
1b-3 Adre Ann May married (Dec 22, 1979) to Thomas Knight Bower. Divorced 1997. Three sons: Thomas Elliott, Philip Knight, Adrian Edward
2. Charles G. May (Sept. 16, 1883 – Sept 26, 1884) born in St. Louis, MO (unknown grave site)
3. Gertrude “Gertie”
NOTE: in correspondence to
her niece Frances, Gertie refers to a cousin named Lynn Flory (pronounced
Flor-ee) who lived in
4. Elsie Margaret “Daisy” May (May 27, 1888 – June 10, 1971) born in St. Louis, MO (Her mother must have returned to St. Louis for the birth} adopted the name Maughs at age 4 when her mother remarried. Daisy married George Roy Hastings (b. 1882 – d. Aug 20, 1927 age 45) Daisy was a registered nurse. She had a red irish-setter dog named “Shadrack”. Daisy & Roy are buried on south side of entry road in Calvary Hill Cemetery in Denison,Tx. Three children:
4a - Philip Roy Hastings (1914-2003) married Kathryn “Kaki” Elizabeth Welty (1912-1989). Second marriage - Marie Aase. Phil is buried in California. One daughter, Latrelle Hastings Nation (b. Feb. 9, 1938), had 3 children: Philip,Theresa Kathryn, Aaron
4b - Harold
Thomas Hastings (March 29, 1918 - June 2, 1999) was a bachelor – decorated WWII “ace” fighter pilot serving in the Pacific
theatre. Living in New York and Greece, following the war he flew for TWA
airlines for over 30 years. He retired and lived in
4c - Lura Hastings (May 2, 1923 – Nov. 29, 1998)
married in 1945 to Major Theodore A. Klecka from Quero, Tx. Lura was a nurse
and Theo was a bone-specialist doctor. Both buried in
4c-1 Candace Anne “Candy”, a veterinarian, married Terry Wesley Anderson in 1976. Divorced. Son Thomas Ray “Tommy” Klecka
4c-2 Daryl - married Laverne Unknown Divorced. 4 children . Second marriage to Unknown.
4c-3 Diane - married Don Nunley
4c-5 Tedra Marie
4c-6 Wren - married Douglas Edmund Knapp March 13, 1983 (twins: Matthew Arthur and Sarah Ashley)
NOTE: Daisy Hastings married Carl Parish April 18, 1839 in Atoka, OK. He was age 55 and she was age 50. THE MARRIAGE WAS ANNULLED. Married name of Daisy Parish appears on 1940 US census (familysearch.org Film 2210200 dig folder 004532328 image 00694).
NOTE: Entry on family Bible records page for John May born March 14, 1869 is listed after Elsie May. No other records for him - do not know relationship. Could he be a nephew of Phillip C. May (1840-1890) or a son by a possible earlier marriage? Could this be a death date rather than a birth date? MYSTERY RELATIVE!!! NOTE: 1850 census lists John May born ne: 1846 as brother of Phillip C. May (1840-1890)
MAUGHS NOTE: After Phillip C.
May died in 1890, Ida M. Atwell May remarried.
On Oct. 5, 1892 she was united in marriage to Leonidas Linville “Major” Maughs
(Jan. 28, 1839 – Sept. 8, 1898 ) by Fr.
Crowley, witnessed by M/M W.M. Peck and M/M A.S. Buchard in St. Patrick Catholic
Parish parsonage in Denison,Tx . Maughs was
from Lexington in Calloway County, Missouri. He was a lawyer, credited with
bringing first gas lights to
1. Leonidas “Leo” or “Lee” L. Maughs born in Denison,Tx April 2, 1894 died Nov. 16, 1942 in Los Angeles, California (Navy veteran of WWI). In US 1940 California census, Lee married to Esther (b. ne:1899 Illinois), and had two daughters living with them: Jewell Patterson (b. 1920 Calif ) and Jennetta Patterson (b.1921 Calif). Buried in California.
2. Ida May (Mae) “Mitzi” Maughs born in
Denison,Tx Nov. 29, 1895 died in 1968. She married Frank Elmer Shappy on
Sept.14, 1918 in Waxahachie, Texas. He was a 1st Sgt. in the 868
Aero. Rep. Squadron in Dallas, Texas.
Citing mental and physical cruelty, she filed a divorce petition Jan.
13, 1921, and it was granted by the courts on May 26, 1921 in Dallas County,
3. Roderick “Rocky” Atwell Maughs born in Denison,Texas Sept 24, 1897(or 1899) died Sept 12, 1950 at Vallejo, California (fell off a train and was run over according to newspaper article on file. He was on his way to visit family in Denison, Tx.) He was employed by the government at Mare Island, California and was a Navy veteran of WWI. In 1940 US census for Scotia, Humboldt, California, Rodrick A. Maughs and wife Edith Ammonette (b.1900 Texas) had one son Rodrick,Jr (b. 1925 Calif). Rocky is buried in California.
3a. Roderick Maughs, Jr. b.1925 in California. At the time of his father’s death he was serving as a Corporal in the Air Force at Hamilton Field near Novato, California. Last family contact is a letter dated 1956 where Rocky Jr. was working
in Houston, Texas.
GERMAN AMERICAN ROOTS
Elaine Nall Bay
Grayson County TXGenWeb