early MKT roundhouse
Source: Art Work of Grayson County.
Published in Twelve Parts. Chicago: W. H. Parish Publishing Co., 1895
Scene at the MKT Railroad Shops
"Round House, Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad Company." Robinson, Frank
M., comp. Industrial Denison. [N.p.]: Means-Moore Co., [ca. 1909]. Page 64.
"This was likely the first, which was board and batten wooden construction. It
likely started out with six stalls when first built after the Katy
Denison and added on to in six stall increments. The second roundhouse which was constructed of concrete and brick about 1900 - 1904."
- - - Roy Jackson, editor of the Katy Railroad Historical Society newsletter
The round house was a place where trains (or at least engines) drove onto a
turntable which rotated, enabling the engine to head out in the direction
which it had come. In Denison's history, several of these existed.
The early 1940s round house was located on the north edge of
Denison at Ray Yards.
Denison Ray Yards