Founded in 1879, when old-timers
traveled by wagon and camped near
Sherman to reminisce about days of Republic of Texas, the frontier, and
the Southern Confederacy. W.W. Wheat was
the first presiding President of the Old Settlers Association of North
Speakers at first meeting included Mrs. Julia
Shannon King (daughter of donor of part of Sherman townsite) and Mrs. Sophia
Porter, who came to Grayson County in 1838 as bride of
owner of Indian trading post at Preston Bend.
Association was incorporated on Oct. 31, 1898. Having met in
various groves, it purchased this popular and accessible site in 1899
permanent headquarters. Financing was hampered by adversities (bad
smallpox, power failure on commuting streetcar line), but purchase cost
was paid by 1909. The auditorium, named for the veteran association
Loving, was built in 1923.
orators at annual conventions have included statesmen Joseph
Weldon Bailey, James S. Hogg, Roger Q. Mills, Sam Rayburn, John H.
Used for years by Red River Fair,
and now by civic and youth groups,
this park serves as a reminder of the foresight of pioneer citizens.