Grayson County TXGenWeb


Lost
Thompson CEMETERY
Sherman, Texas

Map


THE TWO GRAVES
Source: Sherman Daily Registrar, January 14, 1888
THE OWNER OF THE GRAVEYARD PLOT
Is intending to move the two old graves

Nearly two years ago the REGISTER contained an article under the head of "Two Graves" in which a sad tale was told of two graves on the banks of Post Oak creek near the city. No attention has ever been paid to these graves which have been there silently awaiting Gabriels (sic) trumpet to open up and deliver their dead for forty years and over. No one has claimed them, no one has come to say that they have an interest in the silent grass grave mounds which have been leveled and beaten down by the storms of nearly half a century. And it is now after this length of time that the present owner of the land upon which they are situated, S. O. Doome, desires to have them moved.
The graves are situated on a grant of 320 acres originally made to Robt. Thompson, and as far back as 1819 a plot of land 90x100 yards is set apart as a graveyard out of a portion of the Thompson survey transferred by Thomas Jones to George Shield. There have been two or three transfers in the interior and before it finally came into the hands of the present owner, S. O. Doome, who it is that has wished the removal of the remains, not desiring to plow them over and in this manner desecrate them. But they can not be removed under the deeds of transfer ... (I failed to copy part of this story) call on the last day when the Creator of all shall summon the quick and the dead alike before the judgment bar, there to mete out justice to all. Let them rest where they died -- where, in the sad story of their lives, the end was written.

From : Ruth Walsh


Grayson County Cemeteries

Grayson County TXGenWeb


Elaine Nall Bay
2004