This graveyard was begun as a family burial plot by Samuel
and Ellen Vittitoe, who settled on land surrounding this site in 1852.
Their son, Frank, probably was the first to be buried here sometime before
the outbreak of the Civil War, although his headstone is undated. The Vittitoes
made it known to the residents of Kentucky Town (1 mi. n.) that their plot
was open for burials outside the family, but the cemetery was not used
as a public burial ground until it was legally established as such in 1885.
More than 700 graves have been recorded in the Vittitoe cemetery.
Most of them bear tombstones with legible inscriptions, but others are
marked only by stakes or pieces of stone or rock. Included among those
buried here are early settlers such as Andrew Thomas, who brought his family
to the area in 1837; numerous Civil War veterans; the Rev. Isaac Teague,
pastor of the Kentuckytown Baptist Church during the early 1900s; and Benjamin
Earnest, who helped establish a general store soon after settling in Kentuckytown
Vittitoe Cemetery, which is cared for by the Vittitoe Cemetery Association,
is an important reminder of the early history of this part of Grayson County.