James Arthur "Hot" & Dora M. Tucker Alexander
Superintendent of the Woodmen Circle Home
& Hostess of the Woodmen Circle Home
James Arthur Alexander (August 5, 1891 - July 15, 1977) was born
in Garland, Texas to Mr. and Mrs. James D. Alexander. He married
the former Dora Tucker on February 2, 1917, in Garland. He was a
farmer and in the retail clothing business in Garland until 1939 when he
moved to Sherman to become Superintendent of the Woodmen Circle Home.
While in Garland, he was the Mayor from 1936 to 1939; served as President
and was a charter member of the Garland Rotary Club and President and secretary
of the Garland Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Alexander retired as Superintendent of the Woodmen Circle Home
in 1956 and established the J.A. "Hot" Alexander Real Estate firm in Sherman.
He was a Paul Harris Fellow of the Sherman Rotary Club and was honored
by the Sherman Rotary Club in 1976 for completing fifty years of perfect
attendance. He was a President of the Boy Scouts of American in Sherman
and also served as President of the Sherman Chamber of Commerce, Texas
Alfalfa Dehydrators' Association, the Grayson County Livestock Improvement
Association, and the Texoma Exposition and Livestock Association.
Mr. Alexander was a member of the Dallas Consistory of Scottish
Rite Masons, Grayson County Scottish Rite Association, Helia Temple Shrine,
North Texas Shrine Association, Patron of the Garland Eastern Star, and
a sixty-three year member of the Garland Masonic Lodge. Among other
activities, he organized a Grayson County Rural Youth Program in 1951,
was a member of the Grayson County State Bank Board of Directors, and past
president of the Sherman Board of Realtors and the Grayson Board of Realtors.
He was a deacon of the First Baptist Church.
Dora M. Tucker was born February 6, 1893, on her father's farm between
Garland and Rowlett. She was educated in the Dallas public schools and
is a graduate of Trinity University. Before her marriage she was
a teacher in the Whitewright schools. She married J.A. Alexander
of Garland on February 2, 1917. She came to Sherman in 1939 with
her husband to work with him as Hostess of the Woodmen Circle Home.
Before coming to Sherman, she served as president of various civic and study
clubs. She was especially active in church work, girls' club work,
and took special interest as a leader in educational, social and civic
movement in Garland. On Mr. Alexander's retirement as superintendent
and director of the home in 1959, Mrs. Alexander assumed the duties as
director of the home until it closed in 1962. During this time, she
was active in the Sherman Parent Teacher Association. As a charter
member of Altrusa, Mrs. Alexander has held all offices, including that
of president twice. She has served as chairman on all committees,
delegate to district meetings, general chairman of the Christmas Pilgrimage
for several years and chairman of the Heart Fund Style Show and Tea for
During Word War II she was active as a USO hostess and involved
in other volunteer service. She chaired the Teen Town committee that
organized the first Youth Center in Sherman. She serves on the Board
of the Sherman Girls Club and was instrumental in establishing the Sherman
Girls Club. In 1977 Altrusa Club International of Sherman honored
Mrs. Alexander for her many years of work and effort by presenting the
Sherman Girls Club a $1,000 check in her name. She is a lifetime
member of the City Countil PTA.
She is affectionately known as "Missy" by the many children who
were reared at the Woodmen Circle Home, who say she and her husband changed
the home atmosphere in a short time from that of an institution to one
of a real family home. She is active in the Salvation Army, Child Welfare
and the First United Methodist Church of Sherman.