Grayson County TXGenWeb

 
 

 Woodmen Circle Home
Timeline

 Supreme Woodmen Circle Home Timeline
 
1927 - LAND ACQIRED
Mrs. Doran Alexander Talley, one of the early presidents of the Supreme Woodmen Circle Organization, lived in Garland, Texas, and was familiar with this area and instrumental in the founding of the home and its location.

Nov. 14, 1928 - Groundbreaking

June 25, 1930 - Dedication of the Administration Building
It opened with a "handful" of children. Oprhans that were listed as Lee and Edith Carmichael, & Edwin, Sadie, Robert and Lillian Pulliam.  B.H. Elder move to the home.  The property was over 150 acres.

1931 - Seventeen additional orphans were admitted

1923-34 - Thirty-Five more orphans moved to th Sherman Home with records indicating the total number of orphans peaking at about 10 in 1935

1948 - Only four orphans in residence, with eight additional children coming over the remaining years

1957: "Hot" Alexander retired from WCH, opened real estate firm in town.  Missy Alexander took over his responsibilities.

1960: Missy Alexander retired from WCH.  Jo Nell Chumley left the home and went to live with the Alexanders.

1965- Two siblings, Brandona and Sharon Moe, were the only "junior residents" at WCH

1965 - Supreme Forest of the Woodmen Circle (the founding organization) merged into the Woodmen of the World Insurance Company and no new residents were accepted after July 1966

1971 - Woodmen Circle Home closed after serving more than a 100 children and 165 elderly women and a few elderly men

1970s - WCH purchased by five local attorneys

1977 - 1980 - WCH used by Dr. Ariel Sherman and Tabernacle group 

1980 - 1990 - Property sold to numerous investment groups including Sunbelt Savings, eventually going into receivership

1990 - WCH purchased by current owners, David and Debbie McNees from the Resolution Trust Corporation.  At that time the property included only 13.5 acres.

 

WCH Home Page
Elaine Nall Bay
2012