records for Horace Alexander
are scant. Some records indicate that he was born in 1840 in Ohio, but
tombstone in Texas says he was born in 1838. The Census of 1850 listed
Alexander, age 10, living in Townsend, Huron County, Ohio, with the
family of Nehemiah and Elenor Ferrand Ordway. Nehemiah,
at 62, listed no profession.
At age 22,
Horace enlisted in the Union army at Hannibal, Missouri, in 1863. He
unmarried engineer. On Christmas Day of
1864, he married Elizabeth
"Annie" Lomax (1846–1941)
in Linn County, Missouri. Two years
later, they paid taxes in Brookfield, Linn County.
By 1876, the
couple had moved to Denison, Texas, where they lived on
the north side of
Crawford Street, between Burnet and Fannin
Avenues. The City Directory listed Horace as a master mechanic with the
MK&T Railroad. In 1880, the Census gave his occupation as a
machinist. His oldest son, Frank E.
Alexander, then 13, was employed as a printer. The family was living on
A major change took
place in the next seven years, for the 1887 City Directory listed
Horace as a
partner with William A. Tibbs
(1833—1907) in Tibbs & Alexander, real estate, house renting
collecting agents, at 328 West Main Street. The Alexander family lived
West Gandy for nearly two decades. Tibbs was a notary public living at
Main, and the partnership was short-lived. In 1891, Horace's firm was
Alexander & Company, and he had a new partner, Samuel Tyler.
The office had moved a few doors east to 316-1/2 West
Main. An advertisement emphasized: "Make a specialty of renting houses
continued to move his office around in downtown Denison. In 1901, he
offering "real estate, loans, notary public" at 104 North Burnett
Avenue, where his youngest child, Horace
Guy Alexander (1884–1946), was a clerk.
In 1903, the
office was at 218 West Main. Guy now was a letter carrier. Horace and
left Gandy Street to live at 818 West Bond. Shortly they moved next
816, then settled down across the street at 820 West Bond. The real
office shifted to 204 West Main by 1905. Guy went to work as a
J. H. Gardner & Company.
Horace Alexander was nearing age 70 and had moved to an upscale
location in the
Building at 331 West Main Street. A book published that year
the building with this caption: "Bank of Brooks, Bass &
Real Estate Office of H. Alexander, Side Entrance." Presumably the
entrance helped accommodate the stream of renters bringing their
1909 City Directory gave his office address as 302 Security Building.
Office of Horace Alexander at side entrance.
Source of photo: 331 West Main St. (Security Building). "Bank of
Brooks, Bass & Johnston. Financial Responsibiity, Quarter of a
Million Dollars. Real Estate Office of H [Horace] Alexander, Side
In Robinson, Frank M., comp. Industrial Denison. [N.p.]: Means-Moore
Co., [ca. 1909]. Page 92.
At age 82,
Horace passed away on September 20, 1920, and was buried in Fairview
Annie lived until 1941, when she joined him at Fairview. They had had
children: Frank Earle, Anna Ray, Grace Reed, Georgia N., Louise Marie,
Horace's death, Annie played a key role in preserving a notable
Fairview Cemetery. Known as "The Forgotten Soldier," the statue,
according to the City of Denison's website, was originally dedicated to the
memory of those Union Veterans of the American Civil War who were
the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.). This organization was
those who served the Federal cause during that most painful time in
States history. With the sponsorship of the Nathaniel Lyon Post #5 of
Army of the Republic and the Woman's Relief Corps (the auxiliary of the
G.A.R.), the monument was erected in 1906 by the A. P. Chamberlain
base is manufactured from native limestone, and the statue was probably
purchased from one of several manufacturers who produced such images
G.A.R. during the late 1800s and early 1900s. [Source:
The statue is one of only three
known monuments to the Union cause within the State of Texas. Many
veterans chose to settle in Denison when railroads were built south to
Moreover, in 1860, Grayson County was one of ten Texas counties voting
remain in the Union rather than join the Confederate cause.
Statue of the Forgotten Soldier
The files of Fairview Cemetery record
that the monument was ceded into perpetual care in 1923, with the fees
being paid for by one Elizabeth Alexander, a relative of Horace
website states, "It is surmised that Ms. Alexander was the daughter of
Brother Alexander, since his wife is buried beside him and is named
However, we now know that his wife was indeed named Elizabeth, as well
Perhaps, following Horace's death in 1920, she wanted to commemorate
service for the Union during the Civil War. Both he and she were
a pension based on that service.
Alexanders' youngest child, Horace Guy Alexander, had gone to work in
Falls, Texas, as manager of an adjustment company. Then he moved to
Park in Dallas, where he gave his occupation in 1940 as "state agent"
but also said he was a "wage or salary worker in private work." He
had completed two years of high school. His wife's name was Effie. He
1946 and was buried near his parents in Denison, at Fairview Cemetery.
Brief History of the Grand Army of the Republic