L. BLACKFORD, the president of the
State National Bank and a moving factor in many enterprises which have
contributed to the business activity and prosperity of Denison, was
West Virginia in 1862, a son of John
Graham and Mary (Van Winkle)
The father was born in Lynchburg, Virginia, and died in
Parkersburg, that state, in 1892, at the age of fifty-eight years. His
native of West Virginia, is still living and makes her home in
the family were three children.
L. Blackford spent the days of his boyhood
and youth in his parents' home and acquired a good public school
was twenty-one years of age when, with the desire to seek a home and
the Southwest, he made his way to Texas, arriving in this state on the
July, 1883. He located first in Sherman, where he was connected with
Merchants & Planters National Bank in various positions
connected with the
conduct of that institution. During the latter part of the time he was
and he remained in Sherman until 1890, when he came to Denison to
cashiership of the State National Bank, of which he also became a
acted as cashier until after the death of R. C. Shearman, which occurred
July 16, 1899. On the 22nd of August of the same year he was elected
which office he has filled ever since. The bank has followed a safe
conservative policy and under the leadership of Mr. Blackford has
position in banking circles in Texas among the foremost. He has also
identified with various other industries and interests of Denison. He
secretary of the road [sic] until it
was sold to the Interurban Railroad Company. He was likewise president
Compress Company from its organization, was vice president of the
Building & Land Company, is the secretary of the Denison
Company, president of the Denison Driving Park and Fair Association and
financial investment in many other interests.
The State National Bank
1889 Mr. Blackford was united in marriage to Miss
of Grayson County, Texas, and they have a daughter, Clara,
who was born in Denison. In social circles of the city they occupy an
position and Mr. Blackford is a most public-spirited man, whose aid and
co-operation can always be counted upon to further any movement tending
benefit of his adopted city. He is indeed a leading spirit in the
world here and Denison acknowledges its indebtedness to his efforts. He
is of a
very social and genial nature and is heartily welcomed in the best
homes of the
city. The success of his life is due to no inherited fortune or to any
succession of advantageous circumstances but to his own sturdy will,
application, tireless industry and sterling integrity.
[Source: B. B. Paddock, History
and Biographical Record of North and West Texas, Vol. 1
Publishing Co., 1906), pp. 619-620.]
"Stock and Quarters at Elm View Stock Farm, Property of G. L. Blackford."
Robinson, Frank M., comp. Industrial Denison. [N.p.]: Means-Moore Co., [ca.
1909]. Page 24.
In addition to his banking and
G. L. Blackford owned Elm View Stock Farm near Denison. Elm View stock
in such publications as the American
Hereford Record and Hereford Herd Book and the Year
Book of Trotting and Pacing.
1200 West Sears St.
1915, the Blackfords built a striking Craftsman style home at 1200 West
Street. The family lived there from 1916 to 1946. Then their daughter,
and her husband, W. Aubrey Smith, occupied the residence. After
Clara lived there until she passed away in 1983. Now the home of
Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Hatfield, this is a fine example of Craftsman design.
L. Blackford died on April 1, 1927. His wife Eugenia ("Gene") passed
away in 1947. They were buried in Fairview Cemetery, Denison.