Grayson County TXGenWeb
 

James "Jim" Boyd

                                                                                                                                                                                 

 James Boyd was born on November 1, 1861, in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. His parents were John Wilson Boyd (1834–1911) and Virginia M. ("Jenny") Bowles Boyd (1840–1917). After attending school in Kentucky, he headed west.

 By around 1885, Boyd and Lingo Clothiers were operating in a primitive rural setting near the Red River north of Denison, Grayson County, Texas. Two years later, in 1887, Jim was a partner (with Rufus S. Wootton and J. William Hayes) in Wootton & Company, purveyors of clothing, boots, shoes, and hats at 200 West Main Street in Denison. Jim was living at the same address. His situation remained unchanged when the Denison City Directory was published in 1891.


1000 block West Gandy Street, ca. 1891.
View looking at south side of street. House with tower at right, at 1030 West Gandy, corner of Tone Avenue, belonged briefly to James Boyd, downtown store owner.
Then his brother and his wife lived there. More recently, apartments replaced the Boyd house, but now those also have disappeared.
Source: Detail of Thaddeus Fowler's 1891 Bird's-Eye Map of Denison, courtesy of "Texas Bird's-Eye Views" website from Amon Carter Museum.
Learn more at http://www.birdseyeviews.org/zoom.php?city=Denison&year=1891&extra_info= 

 By 1893, James Boyd had left Wootton and Company and, in partnership with Levi Lingo, formed Boyd and Lingo ("clothiers, hatters, and gents furnishers") at 230 West Main Street in Denison. Three years later, the Denison City Directory listed two of Jim's brothers as store employees: Richard G. Boyd, salesman; and Edward L. Boyd, traveling salesman. All three brothers were rooming at 607 West Main Street, while Levi Lingo lived at 916 West Sears Street.

Around 1904, James Boyd bought out Levi Lingo's interest in the Boyd and Lingo clothing store. For the next 22 years, he operated the business under his own name "James Boyd, Gents' Outfitters." 



James Boyd Clothing House, corner of Rusk Avenue. Source: "Industrial Denison" (1909).
Courtesy of Carol Shaffer.
Note porthole windows and painted sign on Rusk Avenue side of building.
With a magnifying glass, I can see "Boyd" painted on the two light globes on either side of the store.
Upstairs, signs read "Agency, Hartford Fire Insurance Co.," "Royal Insurance," "German Insurance," "--—kins & Caroner, Inurance & Real Estate."  The masthead at the roofline reads "Kerby."
See a later Boyd's Clothing location, 328-–330 West Main, at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=258394&id=1791870758


"Interior of James Boyd's Clothing House, Main Street and Rusk Avenue."
Robinson, Frank M., comp. Industrial Denison. [N.p.]: Means-Moore Co., [ca. 1909]. Page 40.
Located at 230 West Main Street

Around 1914, the store moved to 328–330 West Main Street. It figures prominently in a 1916 panoramic photograph by Kelley Studio.

James Boyd's Gents Outfitters, 328-330 West main Street.
South side of street, view to east.
One half of a panormaic photo by Kelley Studio, 1916.
"No Clothing Fits Like Boyd's."

James was sophisticated in emerging retail sales techniques. He always advertised a great deal in local newspapers and national trade publications. According to his obituary:

Mr. Boyd was a prominent figure in the retail clothing business in Texas and for more than 40 years made Denison the principal scene of operation. Throughout all of North Texas and Southern Oklahoma, the James Boyd sign was a familiar feature on every highway. His business covered a large territory and the strict integrity of the man early in life earned for him the high esteem of all who knew him....

 As a retail clothing dealer, Mr. Boyd was known throughout the state, having served at one time as president of the Texas Retail Clothiers Association. He also was a former director of the State National Bank. The deceased also was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, the Masons, Chamber of Commerce, and Rod and Gun Club.

 
James Boyd sign on north side of M. T. Mathes Livery Stable.
131 North Rusk Ave, SW corner of Woodard Street. Photographer unknown.
Collection of Grayson County Frontier Village.


Advertisement
James Boyd, "No Clothing Fits Like Ours"
Denison Daily News
25  June 1913

Late in the store's life, its stock was moved to the Madden Building at 331 West Main Street, where the business operated under the name "James Boyd, Incorporated." On January 1, 1926, Jim retired from the business, which became known as Boyd & Lackey.

                                                                                                                                                                                                             

On February 10, 1898, Jim married Sarah "Sallie" Shallenberger (1867–1941) in Chicago, Illinois. She had moved to Denison with her parents, Major and Mrs. S. S. Shallenberger, in the early days when her father, a civil engineer, helped build a railroad from McAlester, Oklahoma, to Little Rock, Arkansas. The family settled in Denison, where a Mrs. Shallenberger (probably Sallie's mother) taught at the new Educational Institute during its first two years of operation, 1874–1875. This school was the first free, graded public school in Texas. Sallie's obituary states that she received her schooling in Denison and later attended college at Boston, Massachusetts. However, Sallie is not listed in existing records for graduates of Denison's Educational Institute.

By 1900, James and Sallie Boyd were living at 522 West Gandy in Denison. Thaddeus Fowler's 1891 "Denison Bird's-Eye Map" depicted a fine two-story home at 1030 West Gandy Street. This was the home where Jim and Sallie lived in 1908. 

A year later, they had moved to 1105 West Bond Street, where they lived until Jim's death in 1927. In 1910, the Census reported that Sallie's father, Samuel L. Shellenberger, a civil engineer, was living with them. 


1105 W. Bond
Photograph courtesy of Dr. Mavis Anne Bryant
ca 2000

James Boyd, 66, Pioneer of City, Dies Suddenly

(Denison TX Herald, June 5, 1927)

James Boyd, aged 66 years, pioneer business man of this city, died suddenly at his home, 1105 West Bond street, Friday night shortly after 10 o'clock. His death was attributed to heart failure.

Early in the evening Mr. Boyd, accompanied by his wife, drove to the Hotel Simpson to fill a business engagement. Returning, Mrs. Boyd stepped over to a neighbor's and in a very few minutes entered her home and discovered her husband prostrate on the bathroom floor. When he failed to answer, a physician was summoned, who, after examination, pronounced life to have been extinct for only a few minutes.

For several years Mr. Boyd's health had not been of the best and it was for that reason, largely, that he decided to retire for all business pursuits a year and a half ago. However, for the past few months, in fact, ever since he withdrew from business affairs, he seemed to have gained strength and was quite active about his home and other matters to which he devoted his attention. His sudden passing, therefore, was a severe shock to the entire citizenship as well as his family.

Prominent Figure

Mr. Boyd was a prominent figure in the retail clothing business in Texas and for more than 40 years made Denison the principal scene of operation. Throughout all of North Texas and Southern Oklahoma, the James Boyd sign was a familiar feature on every highway. His business covered a large territory and the strict integrity of the man early in life earned for him the high esteem of all who knew him.

He was born in Hopkinsville, Ky., November 1, 1861, where he received his education. At the age of 25 years he came to Denison and engaged in the retail clothing business with Will Hayes and R. Wootton at 206 West Main Street. A few years later he became associated with Levi Lingo, now deceased, in the building now occupied by the National Bank of Denison. Subsequently, Mr. Boyd acquired the Lingo interest and continued the business under his own name for 22 years.

During all these years the business continued to grow and expand, and feeling the need for larger quarters, the stock was moved to the Madden building at 331 West Main street, where the business was incorporated under the name of James Boyd, Incorporated. On January 1, 1926, he retired from business, being succeeded by Boyd & Lackey.

Mr. Boyd was married to Miss Sallie Shallenberger in Chicago, Ill., in 1892, his bride being a former Denison girl. Following the marriage they returned to Denison and established their home, and have since continuously resided here.

Known Throughout State

As a retail clothing dealer, Mr. Boyd was known throughout the state, having served at one time as president of the Texas Retail Clothiers Association. He also was a former director of the State National Bank. The deceased also was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, the Masons, Chamber of Commerce, and Rod and Gun Club.

Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Sallie Boyd; two brothers, E. L. Boyd and R. G. Boyd, of Denison; and a sister, Mrs. R. M. Meacham of Hopkinsville, Ky.

Funeral services will be held at St. Luke's Episcopal Church Sunday afternoon at 5 o'clock, with Rev. Charles Harris Jr., rector, officiating. Interment will be in Fairview cemetery. Funeral arrangements are in charge of Short-Murray, funeral directors.

From 1914 on, Sallie spent every summer in Battle Creek, Michigan, for health reasons. She died there in September 1941.

Mrs. James Boyd Dies in Michigan

Sherman Texas Democrat
September 30, 1941

DENISON—Mrs. James Boyd, pioneer Denison resident and widow of the late James Boyd, clothier, died Monday night at Battle Creek, Mich., where she had gone for her annual visit to a sanitarium. This was the 27th summer Mrs. Boyd had spent in Battle Creek.

No immediate relatives are living. Mrs. Ed Boyd and Richard Boyd of Denison are sister-in-law and brother-in-law.

Mrs. Boyd was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal church, [and] a charter member of the XXI club. Her home was at 1105 West Bond.

Mrs. Boyd, as Sallie Shallenberger, came to Denison with her parents, Maj. and Mrs. S. S. Shallenberger, in the early days when her father, a civil engineer, helped build a railroad from McAlester, Okla., to Little Rock, Ark. The family settled here, where she received her schooling, later attending college at Boston, Mass. She was married to Mr. Boyd in Chicago, Ill., Feb. 16, 1898, and the couple returned to Denison to live.

Mr. Boyd retired from the clothing business in 1926 and died June 5, 1927.

Mrs. Lillian B. Crouch, an intimate friend of Mrs. Boyd, is to accompany the body from Battle Creek to St. Louis, Mo., to be met by Richard Boyd of Denison and accompanied to Denison to arrive at 7:50 a.m. Thursday.

Funeral services are to be held Thursday afternoon at the Episcopal church, the Rev. Raymond S. Ottensmeyer officiating, with Short and Murray in charge of burial in Fairview cemetery.

Mrs. James Boyd

Sherman Texas Democrat
October 2, 1941

DENISON—Funeral services for Mrs. James Boyd, Denisonian who died Monday at Battle Creek, Mich., were to be held at 4 p.m. Thursday at St. Luke's Episcopal church, the Rev. Raymond Ottensmeyer, rector, officiating. The Short and Murray company was preparing for burial at Fairview cemetery. Pallbearers named were Frank Kohfeldt, J. R. Handy, R. W. Stoddard, W. L. Peterson, John Tierney, R. D. Bray, J. J. Madden, and B. McDaniel.

 

 

R. G. (Dick) Boyd Funeral Today

Denison Texas Herald
August 22, 1954

Funeral services will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at St. Luke's Episcopal Church for Richard Gains (Dick) Body, 78, member of one of Denison's early business families, who died at a local hospital Friday at 2:15 p.m.

Rev. David Jones, Episcopal rector, will officiate and burial will be in Fairview Cemetery. Bratcher-Moore will be in charge.

Boyd suffered a stroke Friday morning and was removed to the hospital. His home for many years had been at 727 West Gandy.

For the last several years he had been an office staff member of the Kohfeldt & Son realty firm. He was associated during his early years with a brother, James Boyd, in the Boyd Clothing Co., located at the present site of the Newberry store. After the death of his brother, he joined Tom Lackey in operating a gents furnishing store.

Born in Kentucky, he came to Denison as a young man and married Miss Bessie Brown here. He was past president of the Rotary Club and had been active in civic affairs during his earlier years. He long had been a member of the Episcopal Church.

His wife is his only immediate survivor.

 



 





Elaine Nall Bay 
2012