W. H. Woodson, History of Clay County,
(Topeka, KS: Historical Publishing Company, 1920), page 480-482.]
T. Hall, of the George T.
Hall Livestock Commission Company, of Kansas City, Missouri, whose
"White Hall" on the "Clover Hill Farm," is the owner of one
of the most attractive places in Clay County. Mr. Hall has been engaged
business in Kansas City for a number of years and for the last few
made his home in this county. He was born in Henry County, Kentucky,
22, 1850, and is a son of Thomas and Edna (Fallis) Hall, both natives
The Hall family came to Missouri
in 1857 and settled in Buchanan County, and the father was engaged in
and stock raising there for twenty years, when he removed to Gower,
County, Missouri, and he and his wife spent the remainder of their
They were the parents of the following children: John, deceased; D. S.,
deceased; George T., the subject of this sketch; Erasmus C., a
attorney of Kansas City, Missouri.
George T. Hall was reared and
educated in Buchanan County and in early life engaged in the mercantile
business at Gower, Missouri. He was the pioneer merchant of that town
engaged in business there for fourteen years. He then went to St.
Missouri, where he was engaged in the livestock commission business. He
became a member of the firm of Scruggs, Hall and Company, and engaged
livestock commission business at Kansas City, Missouri, and later
George T. Hall Livestock Commission Company, of Kansas City, Missouri.
one of the extensive livestock commission concerns of Kansas City, and
is regarded as one of the most successful men in his line. He has had
experience in the livestock business and has availed himself of every
opportunity to study the details of the business from its various
30, 1881, George T. Hall was
united in marriage with Miss Inez C. Shields, a daughter of Zadok and
(Asbury) Shields, both of whom died in Virginia. To Mr. and Mrs. Hall
born the following children: Thomas, of the Hall-Leeper Hardware
Denison, Texas; Howard Shields, married Hannah A. Jobes, of Kansas
Missouri; and Helen, married Henry A. Bundschu, of Independence,
Mr. Hall is the owner of 800
in Liberty township, which is known as "Clover Hill Farm"; and his
home, "White Hall," is best described by the architect, Mr. Edgar P.
Madorie, who designed it, as follows: "On a tract of seventy acres on
Excelsior Springs electric line, one-half mile south of Liberty,
George T. Hall, of the George T. Hall Livestock Commission Company, of
City, Missouri, erected a large country home of colonial architecture.
house has many features
of the old New England style, such as was built in the colonial days.
structure consists of two floors with basement and attic and has a
110 feet by 31 feet in depth. It is built entirely of lumber, the
walls faced with wide boards and painted white; and is roofed with wood
shingles of natural weathered color. The first-story floor is but one
above the yard grade, as was the old Abbott farmhouse, built in
during the year 1685. The shed-roofed porches are typical of the Webb
erected in Long Island in 1790.
front and rear entrance with
their two-story covered porticoes, long spindle columns, and Dutch
side lights and iron balconies suspended from above, form a very
picture of those old colonial days.
It has been said that this type
architecture has been almost forgotten, as it is not in keeping with
times; but the owner was desirous of carrying out in detail this
this tract of land
surrounding this beautiful home, the architect has prepared landscape
which, when completed, will surpass any home in this part of the
entire seventy acres will be
beautified with drives and stone bridges, old-fashioned well with oaken
buckets, an ice house with a unique tower, dinner bell suspended on a
column 16 feet high, exedra on a mound by a lake, shelter houses at the
entrances, and formal gardens 70 by 200 feet landscaped with flower
fountains, sun dials, bird baths and surrounded with covered promenades
rustic stone walls and steps.
The interior of the house is
finished with white and tinted gray and ivory; natural finished floors
old-fashioned colonial wall decorations, fireplaces and lighting
Features which are interesting and refer to centuries ago are the
china closets. These cabinets are nothing more than recesses in the
enclosed with old-fashioned glass paneled doors.
rooms are large, light and
especially well ventilated; and the service portion, such as baths,
and pantries, have tile lined walls and floor and are equipped with all
conveniences such as cabinets, hinged tables, electrical ranges, sinks,
Upon the completion of
edifice, the architectural character was departed from by adding a
feature, that of placing bronze door knockers upon three of the chamber
symbol of "Robinson Crusoe," the old "Liberty Bell" and the
"Devil with a Fire Pot."