in Ireland about November 1868, John
Lorimer Higginson Sr. immigrated to the United States in 1888 and by
1893 was an MKT brakeman in Denison, Texas, rooming at 327 West Gandy
Street. That same year, he married Sarah Dorothy "Sadie" Maurer
(1868–1951). They had two sons, William Crawford Higginson (1894–1955)
and John Lorimer Higginson Jr. (1896–1950). Around 1897, the Higginsons
built a fine home at 1002 West Morton Street, where the family
lived for many years.
automobiles became popular, horses and mules were key for transporting
people and goods. Stables and horse lots were important businesses.
Jeremiah H. "Jerry" Nolan operated the White Elephant Livery Stables. He
had operated the Nolan Opera House on Main Street in 1875–1881. The
1888 City Directory carried this advertisement: "White Elephant Livery,
Sale and Feed Stables, J. H. Nolan, Proprietor. Fine Carriages, Single
Rigs and Saddle Horses for Hire at All Times. Horses boarded by the
day, week, or month. Charges as reasonable as any livery in the city.
Satisfactory prices and good treatment assured all. Everything
first-class. Horses bought and sold. Stables—121 N. Rusk Street, Corner
1002 W. Morton St.
Source : Industrial Denison, p. 33
Higginson owned a fine livery and boarding stable in downtown Denison.
For many years,this was the home of "Aunt Mattie" Prather.
Note the fine wire fence. This house is believed to have been build around 1893.
1898, Higginson had become Nolan's partner in the business.
Dallas (TX) Morning News
Tueday, July 13, 1897
DEATH OF JEREMIAH NOLAN
Tex., July 12 - Jeremiah H. Nolan died Sunday morning at his home on
North Burnett avenue, aged 62 years and 11 months. The funeral
will take place tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock from St. Patrick's
church on Sears street. Interment in Calvary cemetery.
Nolan, as he was familiarly known, was one of the first settlers in
Denison. He came with the advance guard of enterprising people
who built the town and has been one of the moving spirits in its growth
and prosperity. He was one of the contractors who built the
Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad into the city. In 1882 he
gave up the business of contracting and engaged in the livery business
with his son, James D. Nolan. In the last few years, his health
has failed steadily a nd he decided to get out of the active business
life and retired in December 1895. In the summer of 1896 Mr.
Noland visited his old home and birthplace in Ireland and spent several
weeks in the country, returning to Denison much improved in health.
Soon after his return, however, he began to decline and most of
the times since he has spent under treatment for the trouble that
finally carried him off.
He came to America when a lad and settled in Linn county, Missour, where he was married to Miss Jane Brown in 1881.
leaves a wife and two sons, James D. and John Nolan. He was a
member of the ancient Order of Hibernians and a life-long member of the
The funeral will be under the auspices of the Hibernian Society.
Denison TX City Directory, p. 230 (bottom): "Nolan & Higginson,
Fine Turnouts a Specialty. Our special attention give to boarding
horses. Gentle horses for ladies. Carriages for Balls, Wedding Parties,
Operas and Funeral Calls."
Denison TX City Directory: "Carriages, Buggies, Phaetons (Dealers in.)
Higginson, John L., agent, Columbus Buggy Co., 115–121 North Rusk
"Jno. L. Higginson, Livery and Boarding Stables"
Robinson, Frank M., comp. Industrial Denison. [N.p.}: Means-Moore Co., [ca. 1909]. Page 66.
131 N. Rusk Ave.
300 W. Woodard St.
Later called "Mathes Livery Stable"
1903 Denison TX City Directory:
"Higginson, John L. (wife Sadie). Councilman 2nd Ward, and proprietor
of White Elephant Livery Barn and agent, Columbus Buggy Co., 113-121 North
Rusk Avenue. Residence at 1002 West Morton Street."
in the twentieth century, automobiles began to eclipse horses for
transportation. Though the 1910 Census still listed Higginson as
"salesman of carriages," by that time he had sold the White Elephant
stables to M.
1002 W. Morton St.
photograph taken ca 2010 by Dr. Mavis Anne Bryant
through 1934, Higginson was a traveling salesman, agent, or
representative. In 1934, he was selling machinery. The family continued
to live at 1002 West Morton in Denison, however. John died on January
16, 1936, and was buried in Fairview Cemetery in Denison.
least through 1946, John's widow Sarah continued to live in their house
on Morton Street. She passed away on October 9, 1951, and was buried
beside her husband in Fairview Cemetery.
JOHN L 1868–JAN 18, 1936
SARAH D 1870–1951
JR JOHN L 1896–1950
WED FRANCES MOSEMORE, APRIL 20, 1930, DENISON, GRAYSON COUNTY, TEXAS.
FRANCES MOSEMORE MAY 08,1899–OCT 1972
WED JOHN L HIGGINSON JR, APRIL 20, 1930 DENISON, GRAYSON COUNTY, TEXAS.
Irish American Roots
Family Tree Index
Elaine Nall Bay
Grayson County TXGenWeb