William Lawson Holder
Holder was one of the first to settle in Grayson County; the
family came from Alabama in ox wagons. He arrived around 1845
settled 4 miles west of Denison.
went to Shreveport,
Louisiana once each year to buy sugar, coffee, salt and flour, lead
& powder to mold their bullets. They killed wild
game to eat
- deer, turkey, prairie chickens and quails. The
clothing was made from cotton and deer skins. They raised
eat, such as corn.
W.L. Holder owned 900 acres; he later fenced off 80 acres
with split rails in order to raise corn and cotton.
and his sons built the first school from logs in the area, around 1855.
Clifton Lafayette Holder, the third of eleven children born
W.L. Holder and Maryon Looney, was raised in the Preston Bend area.
At one time his family even lived in the old log schoolhouse,
The Holder Family Home, built ca1880
Back row, left to right: Clinton Lafayette Holder (father), born 1845; Commanche Delaware Holder (mother), born 1857,
Eulah Morrison Holder, Beulah Holder Nichols, Charles Frederick Holder, Rufus Irving Holder
Front row, left to right: Lawson Lafayette Holder, Gladys Holder Kibler, Nancy L. Holder Evans, Jerry Bledsoe Holder
Photograph taken ca1896
COLD SPRINGS SCHOOLHOUSE
Elaine Nall Bay
Grayson County TXGenWeb