A history of Texas and Texans, Volume 3
Francis White Johnson, Ernest William Winkler, page 1164
HISTORY OF TEXAS
FRANK W. JOHNSON, A LEADER IN THE TEXAS
and Brought to Date by EUGENE C. BARKER,
OF AMERICAN HISTORY, THE UNIVERSITY OF
the Assistance of
WILLIAM WINKLER, M. A. , TEXAS STATE
which are added Historical, Statistical and
Descriptive Matter pertaining to the important Local Divisions
of the State,
and biographical accounts of the Leaders and Representative Men of the
State in Commerce, Industry and Modern Activities.
AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, CHICAGO AND NEW
lumber veteran, the oldest and staunchest exponent of the industry in
of Texas, and a man esteemed and admired by a nationwide following of
friends,—is a suggestive manner of describing the position of Edward H.
of Denison. Coming to Denison in 1872, more than forty years ago,
restore his health and partly in search of business opportunities, E.
found an abundance of both as is attested by the fact that at the age
seventy-five he is as hale and rugged as many men twenty years his
furthermore he stands and long has stood in the front rank of the
merchants of the southwest.
H. Lingo was born October 12, 1838, at Millsboro, Delaware, a son of
Jane (Waples) Lingo, both natives of Delaware. His father was a stock
and died in 1846. In 1852 the widowed mother moved to Chillicothe,
when her son Edward was fourteen years of age. She died in 1863. Of the
children, three sons and a daughter, the only one living is now Mr.
Denison. As the Lingo name is traced to French ancestry, the maternal
English. Mr. Lingo has no relatives of the name in Texas except his own
but has a large relationship over the state including the prominent
early education of Mr. Lingo was acquired in the public schools of
with some higher studies in Central College at Fayette, Missouri. While
man at Chillicothe, he worked in a dry goods store, and at the age of
twenty-two went west, overland to California, and remained on the coast
about four years. He fell in with some sharpers, who left him with a
business while they took away most of his funds, and in a few weeks he
walking the streets of San Francisco in search of a job. The
finally offered him seventy-five cents a day as a common laborer, and
end of three years he had made himself worth a great deal more to the
and had a responsible position. In 1866, returning to Missouri, he
career as a lumberman in that state in 1867. Again reverses met him,
consumed his resources, so that he started in to earn a living by the
labor entailed in unloading lumber from cars at a lumber yard. This
gave him at
least an intimate contact with the real material, and he states a fact
no doubt true, of the majority of men of practical affairs in whatever
industry, that a large number of successful Texas lumbermen at the
started in the business in a similar manner.
Mr. Lingo came to Texas in 1872, he located at Denison, which had just
become a railroad town, and a center of population and industry.
There he organized a co-partnership to do a retail lumber
business, the other member being J.P. LEEPER of Rhichond, Missouri.
As J.P. LEEPER & COMPANY, the firm prospered, and
a new title as WAPLES, LINGO & COMPANY.
In 1888 the great
firm of BURTON-LINGO COMPANY was organized by WILLARD BURTON and E.H.
LINGO. This has grown and prospered and is now one of the
retail lumber firms of the southwest, its original owners still being
more or less active.
Lumber Co. office (upper left) was in 600 block S. Mirick, east side.
view look to northwest. The company was founded in 1888.
Lumber Company, 1954
600 block South Mirick Avenue.
Burton and Edward Lingo were the principals.
directly across from the Katy Shop Yards.
Later it became B. J.'s Grocery.
Lingo had in meantime also organized the lime yard firm of LINGO-LEEPER
& COMPANY, at Denison, and from that date began spreading yards
over North Texas and Oklahoma, until more than fifty cities and towns
of these two states have had Burton-Lingo branches as important
commercial concerns of the community. Mr. Lingo also
the LINGO LUMBER COMPANY at Dallas, which is managed by his son William M. and which,
taken individually, is one of the
largest concerns of its kind in North Texas.
Lingo-Leeper Lumber Company
Austin Avenue at West Crawford Street
Austin Avenue at West Crawford Street
Burton and Edward Lingo
1907 Denison City Directory
In the great industry which he
has helped build up,
Mr. Lingo now stands somewhat in the relation of president emeritus,
interested in all its affairs, but no longer participating in any of
details. For more than forty years his regular home has been at
was his first love among Texas cities, and to it he has always remained
He is prominent in local affairs, being a director of the State
a member of the Chamber of Commerce, served two terms as mayor, but has
taste for such practical politics, and keeps away from the worries and
distractions of public life. He was a Democrat up to the time William
was first nominated at Chicago in 1896, and since then has allied
the Republican party in theory at least. He is a member of the
and for nearly forty years has been senior warden of that society.
May, 1866, at Chillicothe, Missouri, Mr. Lingo
married Miss Anna B. Platter, a
daughter of Andrew Platter, a farmer, who died seven years ago. Mr. and
Lingo have two living children: W. M.
Lingo, head of the Lingo Lumber Company at Dallas, and Mrs. Cora J.
Kelly, whose husband, H. G. Kelly, is one of the vice
presidents of the Grand Trunk Railway Company, and lives at Montreal,
Mr. Lingo and his devoted wife and companion
reside in a splendid home, which
he recently built in Denison, located at 1131 West Sears Street.
1129 West Sears Street
Built in 1914 for E. H. Lingo, president of Burton-Lingo Lumber
& Lingo-Leeper Lumber companies.
Subsequently the house was owned by A. F. Platter, one of the founders
of the Waples-Platter Grocery Company.
Platter descendants owned the house until 1966.
This is Denison's best example of the Carpenter-Craftsman architectural
Lingo's business partner, W. J. Leeper, lived next door at 1123 West
appreciation of Mr. Lingo as a lumberman and
citizen was recently published in the Gulf
Coast Lumberman, and as all his old associates and others who
about his career would readily confirm every statement of that sketch,
appropriate to quote two or three paragraphs therefrom: "A remarkable
from a variety of viewpoints is Mr. Lingo, one of the original
the Lumberman's Association of Texas, and one of the ex-presidents of
association, he has long been a strong adherent and abettor of that
organization and a power in its councils. He is one of the most
in the industry. The many years that have whitened his hair and beard
yet made him an 'old-timer' from a standpoint of effectiveness. He is
everything that is modern and progressive. He is a favorite with both
and the old—famous for the virile optimism that makes him a figure of
prominence in any lumber gathering. A meeting of Texas retail lumberman
stale and unpalatable without Mr. Lingo's presence. He is a leading
always, noted for his square dealings and splendid business judgment.
seen the Texas lumber industry develop from infancy and chaotic
the third largest and most important industry of the commonwealth. If
would write the lumber history of Texas it would be a most remarkable
He has seen two generations of lumbermen come and go in this state, has
called upon to weather the business and financial storms that have
the lumbering Southwest during that time, and has merged from the fire
fair competence and the best of physical and mental condition to enjoy
fruits of his labors. The average man who spends two generations of
business and establishes a fortune finds himself incapable of enjoying
fruits of his labor. Not so with Mr. Lingo, who is enjoying life to its
and continues, and will continue, to give a generous service to the
210 South Austin Avenue at Crawford St.