Justus Garfield Puckett and Family
Eva Johnson Puckett
Early in the twentieth century, two families named Puckett—perhaps distant relatives—arrived in Denison, Texas. One group was composed of the children of Augustus Henry "Gus" Puckett (1849–1896) and Mary Jane "Mollie" Church Puckett (1855–1897). They came to Texas soon after the deaths of their parents in Maury or Hickman County, Tennessee. Gus and Mary Jane's children were:
· William Puckett (1870–before 1945)
· Emmons Church Puckett (1877–1956)
· Annie Snow Puckett (1880–1963)
· Justus Garfield Puckett (1883–1945)
· Martha E. "Mattie" Puckett (1886–before 1845)
· Robert Archibald "Archie" Puckett (1889–1950)
· John Moody Puckett (1893–1964).
Several of these siblings lived in Nashville prior to coming to Texas, arriving in Denison between 1903 and 1910. They may have come together or separately.
Justus Garfield Puckett
Justus Garfield Puckett came to Denison in 1903, working in the transportation office of the MK&T Railway. His obituary outlines his career in this field.
In 1907, the Denison City Directory listed Justus G. Puckett, clerk at the MK&T Railway, living at 614 West Monterey. Boarding with him were siblings Mattie E. Puckett, operator at Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Company; Archibald Puckett, laborer on MK&T; and E. C. Puckett, wiper on MK&T.
In 1909, Justus had moved to 905 West Chestnut Street, where he had as boarders his siblings Mattie E., still a telephone operator; and Archibald, driver for Wells Fargo & Company Express.
Justus married Eva Johnson (1884–1949), daughter of the Denison tailor, Adolph Benjamin Johnson Sr. (1849–1911), and his wife, Margaret "Maggie" Dorris Johnson (1861–1933). Justus and Eva had two children: Alton D. Puckett (1913–1959) and Justine Puckett (1922–1997).
Eva had a sister, Lottie Johnson (1886–1958), who married John B. Rockwell (1869–1928). Rockwell was a watchmaker at L. B. Moore in Denison for many years. Then, in 1910, he started his own jewelry store, Rockwell's. According to an article published on the fiftieth anniversary of that store, "The firm was acquired by J. G. Puckett and Adolph Johnson from Rockwell interests in 1931."
J. G. Puckett, Denison Jeweler, Dies Thursday
[Source: Obituary from Sherman TX Democrat, January 25, 1945]
Denison — Justus G. Puckett, prominent Denison business man and co-owner of the Rockwell Jewelry company, died at 6 a. m. Thursday at a local hospital after an illness of several years. He had been a patient at the hospital two days. Mr. Puckett, who came to Denison 14 years ago, was born in Columbia, Tenn., the son of Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Puckett. He received his education in Nashville, Tenn., and first came to Denison in 1903 as a Katy transportation office employee. After residing here a dozen years, he went to Dallas as chief clerk in the transportation office, residing there until 1920. He then moved to Durant, Okla., and became manager of the Southerland Lumber Company, the position he was holding in 1931 when he came to Denison and purchased an interest in the Rockwell firm. Several years ago, Mr. Puckett suffered a stroke and retired from active business. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Elks, and was an elder in the First Presbyterian church.
Surviving are the widow; a son, Afton [error; Alton] D. Puckett, Washington, D.C.; a daughter, Miss Justine Puckett, Denison; three brothers, R. A. and E. C. Puckett, Nashville, Tenn., and T. M. [error; John Moody] Puckett, Columbia, Tenn.; and a sister, Mrs. Harry Horton [Annie Snow Puckett], Colbert, Okla. Funeral arrangements are not complete.
Obituary, Eva Johnson Puckett
[Source: Denison TX Press, June 10, 1949]
Funeral services for Mrs. J. G. Puckett or 321 W. Morton, who died in a local hospital Wednesday, June 1, were held at Bratcher-Moore chapel Thursday afternoon at 4 o'clock, with the Rev. Edward Bayless, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church officiating. Burial was in Fairview Cemetery.
Mrs. Puckett was born in Denison, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Johnson, and received her schooling in the Denison schools. She was married in Denison to Mr. Puckett, who died in 1945.
She is survived by a son, Alton G. Puckett, of Wilmington, Del.; a daughter, Miss Justine Puckett, three brothers, Adolph Johnson, Charlie Johnson, and Harry Johnson, and one sister, Mrs. Tom B. Anderson [Lottie Johnson Rockwell Anderson], all of Denison.
Justine Puckett was the only daughter of Justus G. Puckett and Eva Johnson Puckett. She graduated from Denison High School in the Class of 1938. She never married and lived in Denison, Texas, her whole life. For many years she worked in the Rockwell's Jewelry store at 220 West Main Street and was still working there in 1950. Active in local organizations and with a fine sense of humor, she was a favorite with customers. Later she founded and operated a children's clothing store in the 600 block of West Main Street.
Annie Snow Puckett Johnson Horton
According to the 1900 Census, William Elmo Johnson Sr. (1880–?) was a bookkeeper for an oil company in Denison, Texas, boarding in the home of real estate agent Joshua E. Howard and wife Francis at 518 West Woodard Street. (There is no evidence that he was related to Eva's family, the Swedish Johnsons who were tailors in Denison.) He married Annie Snow Puckett, the sister of Justus G. Puckett, in Nashville, Tennessee, on April 30, 1902. They had a son, William Elmo "Willie" Johnson Jr., born in Nashville in September of 1903.
Recall that J. G. Puckett moved to Denison in 1903. Perhaps William and Annie followed him, for the Census of 1910 showed William, too, working as a clerk for the railroad there. William and Annie divorced, for the 1920 Census found Annie, age 39, and son Willie, 16, living with her brother Robert A. Puckett at 513 West Murray Street. Annie was working as a saleslady in a dry goods store, and Willie was a clerk for a railroad.
Annie soon married Harry A. Horton (1880–1945), a fireman on the MK&T Railway. He had an eighth-grade education. By 1925 they had taken over the home at 513 West Murray. By 1930, Harry had become a locomotive engineer on a steam railroad. By that time, Willie had married and divorced and was living with Harry and Annie on Murray Street. He was a freight clerk for a steamship company.
By 1935, Harry and Annie moved across the Red River to Colbert, Bryan County, Oklahoma, where he continued to be a railroad engineer until his death in 1945. At that point, Annie returned to Denison. In 1955, she was living at 311 North Fannin Avenue. She died on June 21, 1963, and was buried with her husband Harry in Fairview Cemetery in Denison.
Robert Archibald "Archie" Puckett
In 1907, Archie Puckett at the age of 18 was a laborer in Denison, living with his brother Justus and sister Mattie. Two years later he was still living with them but now worked as a driver for Wells Fargo & Company Express.
The Census of 1910 listed an Archie Puckett in Chattanooga, Tennessee, single and working as a clerk in a railroad office. However, he lived in the home of a brother-in-law, Kelsie C. Owen, and no other record of such a relation could be found. In any case, ten years later, by 1920, he had married Octie Roberts, a native of Montgomery County, Tennessee, and returned to Denison to work as an Express employee. That year his divorced sister Annie and her boy Willie lived with them on Murray Street. The 1921 Denison City Directory reported his occupation as messenger, American Railway Express Company.
The 1930 Census found Archie and his family in Nashville, Tennessee, where the City Directory listed him as a "messenger" for express company. He and Octie had four daughters and lived in Nashville until Archie's death on June 17, 1950.
R. A. Puckett
[Obituary, Denison TX Press, Friday, June 23, 1950]
Funeral services were conducted in Nashville, Tenn., Monday for R. A. Puckett, 60, brother of Mrs. Annie Horton, 2217 West Bond, who died there Saturday after suffering a heart attack. Mrs. Puckett formerly resided in Denison. He was a retired American Railway Express employee.
Other survivors include his widow, two brothers, E. C. Puckett, Nashville; J. M. Puckett, Columbia, Tenn., and three daughters, Mrs. Walter Summers, Mrs. William McCown and Miss Marguerite Puckett of Nashville.
Emmons Church Puckett
Although Emmons Church Puckett had been a wiper on the MK&T Railway in Denison in 1907, he soon returned to Hickman County, Tennessee, where he farmed. He married Blanche E. Church (1888–1966), presumably a relative of his mother, in Williamson County, Tennessee, on March 14, 1909. The Censuses of 1910 and 1920 found E. C. in Hickman County, although in 1920 he was listed as a carpenter with two children. In 1930, he and his family were in Calera, Bryan County, Oklahoma, farming. This was near the home of his sister Annie Horton. By 1937, however, he was a carpenter in Nashville, Tennessee, where his brother Archie lived. He died there on April 18, 1956.
Grayson County Index