William Richard White, Sr.
1867 - 1951
source: Grayson County's 140th Birthday 1836 - 1986
White Produce Company
William Richard White Sr., born July 4, 1867, had married twenty-year-old Mattie Platt of Fillmore, Bossier Parish, Louisiana, on June 22, 1892. They lived in Bonham, where their oldest daughter was a school chum of Sam Rayburn, later speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.
the turn of the century, the couple came to Denison from Bonham with
their three children. These were Mavis White (later Clymer), born June
17, 1893; James Platt White, born December 6, 1895; and William Richard
“Dick” White Jr., born November 3, 1897. The Whites had three more
children after coming to Denison. They were Louisa White (later
Ramsey), born April 7, 1902; Julius Been White, born November 18, 1904
(he died on April 30, 1916, at the age of eleven); and Martha White
(later Parker), born March 27, 1908.
216 North Houston Avenue (1906)
This site on the southeast corner of East Gandy Street and North Houston Avenue, at 100 East Gandy Street or 216 North Houston Avenue, was the home of Michael and Maggie Hanna, who built a home there in 1873.
In 1906, White purchased the Hanna home, demolished it, and erected the White Produce Company. After some nineteen years in business, in 1925 White closed the White Produce Company and went to live in Wichita Falls. He later returned, helping to found the Denison Poultry and Egg Company at 131 East Sears Street.
William White, also known as "Texas Turkey King" owned at one time 340 distributorships through White Produce Co. in Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. He was known to have sent more live turkeys to New York by rail than had ever been shipped. He lost one million dollars when his historic haul broke the turkey market.
Mr. White died on
1951 and is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Denison, Texas, alongside his wife.
His wife continued to live at 1011 West Bond Street, in their shingled bungalow-style home filled with Mission oak furniture and her hand-crocheted doilies, until her death on June 16, 1958.