Whitewright Public Library
In about 1877, Bliss, Texas, came into existence when B.F.Blanton
moved there. He built a country store, which housed the local post
office. The Bliss post office served about one hundred customers.
The mail was brought out from Whitewright, Texas, by a mail rider, as he
was sometimes called. Some people had rental boxes and some used
the general delivery window. Most of the mail was "First Class,"
and it's reported not very much at that. The Star Route Carrier,
a black man named "Mr. Yates," also went directly from Bliss to Pilot Grove,
Texas. This carrier picked up out-going mail and carried it back
to Whitewright, where it was put on a train. At one time Charles
Blanton was postman.
Bliss was only a small community, with very few buildings.
It is no longer in existence, except in the memory of those who lived there
many years ago.
Denny Stogsdill and Josephine Rushing Stogsdill were living in Bliss
when Minos Canon Rushing died in 1903.
Bliss was located just east of Whitewright, Texas.
* note; it is actually located South / SouthEast of Whitewright.
1910 soil map
Reada bout Addie Blanton Sweatt who lived in Bliss