Carpenter's Bluff, Texas
|Carpenter's Bluff was a town in northeastern Grayson County, Texas on the Red River and |
FM 120. The community was settled around 1860 and was named for an early settler, E. E. Carpenter, who operated a ferry boat across the Red River.
After the Civil War, the town was inhabited by unsavory characters who frequented the general store and saloon, earning the nickname Thiefneck. Rather than apply for a post office under that name, the town folk decided to clean house and the nickname was forgotten.