the Dugan Family
the Whiting Famly
Whitewright Public Library
The Denison Herald
Sunday Morning, Oct. 25, 1970
Dugan Cemetery Recalls Early Indian Fighting
by John Clift
Coastal Bermuda and sand burrs have pretty well taken over the old
Dugan Cemetery, 6 miles southeast of Denison.
Time and weather has eroded all of the original markers until only
one is even partially legible. "In Sacred Memory of William Whiting, Killed
by the Indians in a field in his county, July 20 1844, age 29."
The Dugans and Whitings were early settlers in Grayson County. Daniel
V. Dugan who is buried in one of the crumbling mausoleums - like brick
crypts, was another victim of early Indian attacks.
In Mattie Davis Lucas' "History of Grayson County" published in
1926, she notes that "in the summer of 1841, Daniel V. Dugan, son of Daniel
Dugan, was to be married and decided to build his own house, two miles
west from that of his father. He engaged William Kitchen to help
him cut the logs. Two days after they left, the elder Dugan learned of
a party of Indians headed toward the settlements and set out to warn the
"They didn't find them, so a searching party was formed and the
body of Kitchen was found first. He had been shot front ambush and scalped.
But there was evidences that Daniel Dugan had put up a hard struggle before
he was finally shot twice and scalped."
Details of the death of William Whiting have not been learned, with
only the legend on the marker revealing that he had been killed by Indians.
Later when a band of Indians attacked the Dugan household several
Indians were killed including Cochatta Bill, who had worked for one of
the white men in the area. He was wearing a shirt made for him by
Dr. Rowlett's wife when he was killed.
As a reminder of the two scalps the Indians had taken of Dugan and
Kitchen, the Indian's head was severed from the body and the skull kept
at the Dugan home for many years. Persons today recall having the
old skull pulled out from under a bed and shown off from time to time.
(This skull is now in the Frontier Village Museum in Denison and properly
registered with the government's law about Indian relics)
The Dugan family cemetery is located in the middle of a pasture.
Weeds and grass have grown up around most of the concrete and brick crypts.
Names have long since faded. The larger crypts are in the south edge
of the plot, while eroded wooden markers set out graves of those buried
at the north edge.
A few years ago a new large granite marker was planted in the center
of the crypts. It carries the names of Frederick P. Whiting, 1816 - 1946;
Emily Dugan Whiting, 1822 - 1846l; Mary Dugan Montague, 1819 - 1846; and
James Montague, 1843 - 1844; and Cathirene Montague, 1845 - 1851 on one
side. The other lists Daniel Dugan, 1784 - 1861; Catharine Vaden
Dugan, 1789 - 1866; Daniel V. Dugan, 1824 - 1843.
This marker stand out like a sentinel in the center of the area
that is about 50 feet square. It has no fence around it and cattle,
while in the field, graze peacefully on the sand lands that 120 to 130
years ago were the scenes of constant Indian