Map , 1908, Martin Springs is shown (incomplete) on bottom
"There was once a community/town west of
Pottsboro called Martin
Springs, where a natural spring is. This spring is connected
Springs, Brogdon Springs, etc. I think it was near
intersection of Kyker Lane and 120 west of Pottsboro. It had
office and a cotton gin at least.
I have a postcard postmarked Martin
Springs, TX and cotton gin receipts to my great great great
grandfather Robert Daniel who was one of the early settlers, coming
in 1866 from Missouri to west of Pottsboro."
Postcard with Martin Springs, Tex.
Postmark made out to Blomingdale
Bros. in New York.
Holland family lived in Middle Tennessee near White River. All
of the nine Holland boys married the nine Upchurch daughters, who were
their neighbors. One of the sons was Thomas Holland who
married Rachel Upchurch. Before Rachel died, she had five
sons; after her death Thomas took the small boys from Tennessee to
Illinois and down to Texas. Realizing he couldn't care for the
boys, Thomas found homes for them : Will and Enoch were left near
Sherman with C.W. Thomas; James and Joseph B. were left with the Cook
family near Collinsville; baby Harrison was left in Fannin Co.
Thomas married again and had five other sons.
Holland married Isabelle Parks, a 3/4 Cherokee Indian, from southeast
Texas, Anderson County, daughter of W. Parks and June Reynolds, whose
grandfather John Ross lead the Trail of Tears. The couple lived
in Indian Territory, Hughes Co., until after their baby was born and
then they moved to Grayson Co., homesteading 160 acres near Martin Springs
after the Civil War and lived their until their deaths. William
and his brother Enoch Holland settled as farmer/ranchers near
Pottsboro, Texas. The family hauled water from the
would take their washing to the springs and hang the scrubbed garments
on nearby tree limbs to dry. Tubs and pots were left at the
for the weekly chore.
Wyatt Holland (1891 - 1986), s/o William Holland and Isabelle Parks,
married Lucy Elizabeth Wilson. Lucy's parents, Agustis Balio
Wilson and Mary Francis Manley came to Grayson Co., settling near
Hagerman. Lucy's brother's son was John Walter Wilson, 28th
President of the United States. W.W. and Lucy settled on the
homestead of his parents and was a storekeeper.
of the Post Office Department in the National Archives show that a post
office was established at Martin Springs on June 5, 1876 and was
discontinued November 8, 1895.
David W. Odell, June 5, 1876
J.M. Goolsbey, July 19, 1877
Herman Thoma, October 15, 1877
Springs was a thriving rural, agricultural community between Pottsboro
and Willow Springs. Herman Thoma owned the store and his
oldest daughter, Ada, assisted him. There was also a cotton
gin owned by a Mr. Thomas and it was located across the present highway
south from Mr. Thoma's store. There was a blacksmith shop and
two or three houses in addition to the school and store.
school was a small frame building, which had one teacher.
Two teachers of the Martin Springs school were Miss Katie
Mrs. Daisy (Leslie) McGUire, both aunts of Mrs. Edithe Heiromimus of
Denison. Classes ceased to be held in 1908 and in 1911 the
building was torn down and moved away. The students were sent
the county road gang worked through the area, they would dam up the
spring and form a large pool to water their stock and setting up
headquarters at Martin Springs while they worked in that part of the
building in Martin Springs have been gone since the 1920s.
The community in 1979 was part of Tommy Gattis' pasture whose
cattle drink from the springs that still flow, just as they did when
the pioneers first came to the area.
(Source : History of Grayson County,
vol. 1. c1979, pg.75)
May 16, 1878
"Our Traveling Correspondent"
the Willis Ferry road, 10 miles from Denison, is noted for the several
varieties of water to be found in the vicinity. A large and
failing spring of chalybeate water runs through the place.
Tomas, the proprietor of the store, and postmaster there, was made
happy on the eve of the 4th inst. by leading to the hymenial altar the
beautiful and accomplished Miss Mollie J. Sawyers.
Chiles, father of our townsman, E.G. Chiles, has a large plantation
about one mile from the springs. The Colonel, though advanced
years, is possessed of vigor and mental faculties which would do credit
to one many years his junrio.
Randell and Person returned from Georgetown Wednesday, where they had
been attending Justice's Court. Only one criminal case was
viz : J.C. Gardner for malicious mischief, in which the jury brought in
a verdict of not guilty.
crops around Martin Springs are said by them to look splendid.
Mr. Person informs us that a large number of mowers and
have been brought in to that country. He counted fourteen
engaged in cutting wheat betweem this city and Martin Springs.
April 17, 1880
election matters are beginning to loom up, especially in regard to the
Sheriffality of the county. John M. Wilson of Whitesboro and
Hardy Thomas of Martin Springs are both out as candidates, and Dension,
Sherman, Bells, Georgetown, Dripping Springs, Jack Martin and the "old
Alcalde" to hear from yet.
May 12, 1881
(Special to the Herald)
May 10 - News came in late this evening that the murders of Constable
Hodges had been recognized, as a man named Stephenson, who killed a man
at Martin Springs three years ago. His companion is named
Henderson, about whom nothing is known. Overton Hodges,
of the murdered man, with a posse struck their trail at Max Dexter's,
where they stole a horse, leaving one of their own. The
were not far behind.
Dallas Daily Herald
May 20, 1882
vein of coal has recently been discovered at Martin Springs'
neighborhood, but a short west of Denison. A wagon load of
choppings was used by a blacksmith in that neighborhood, who pronounced
it equal to any stone coal he had ever used. Several
were brought to town and examined by competent critics who are of
opinion it will turn out a valuable discovery. Mr. Munson
the same vein of coal is found at McAlister and Savanna, in the B.I.T.
extending southwest and passing under Red River, not far from Denison;
that in his opinion it extends as far southwest as Laredo, and probably
into the gulf.
September 28, 1884
J.D. Woods, who went out to Martin Springs Saturday night to make a
prohibition speech, failed to obtain an audience and continued his
appointment until next Saturday night, when if anybody comes to hear he
will mount the hobby and give it a furious ride.
January 26, 1886
Nat Smith of Martin's Springs is down on a business trip, pertaining to
good roads from Shermann to his section of the county.
Dallas Daily Herald
October 8, 1886
United States Prisoners
States Deputy Marshall Ben E. Cabell left for Kansas this morning with
two Federal prisoners named Blue and Willingham. The former
indicted in the United States district court of Kansas for horse theft
in the Nation, and the latter for introducing whisky in the Territory.
Five men - Jim Cave, for stealing horses in the Pottowatomie
country, and F.P. Varley for stealing a registered letter; John
Hammond, for stealing horses in the Territory; Gardner Reed and W.R.
Brannon, for burglarizing the post office at Martin Springs, Grayson
county - Marhsall Cabell was notified this morning had all been
June 14, 1895
June 12 - Yesterday evening between 4 and 5 o'clock a terrific wind and
hail storm passed through the Martin Springs neighborhood, laying
houses, barns, fences, and trees to the ground. The storm
on the south bluff of Red River, traveling in a southward direction
four miles. The path was three and a half miles wide and all
vegetation is utterly destroyed. Your correspondent visited a
part of the country this morning and counted five houses and barns; the
postoffice at Martin Springs was blown from the foundation and a house
just west of that was completely demolished. The north porch
Mrs. Thomas' handsome residence was blown away and the roof of the main
building torn in holes by the hall. Cotton, oats and corn are
gone, nothing being left in the cotton fields to tell what had once
been a flattering prospect. Oats are beat into the ground and
blades of corn are all off, nothing standing in the fields but stubs.
Not a person was hurt save a few slight injuries by the hail.
Ft. Worth Gazette
June 23, 1895
"Martin Springs and Georgetown Society"
and Mrs. Eugene Greer chaperoned a crowd to Martin Springs
Monday Sunday evening. They had supper and returned
star light. Those present were : Misses Clara Beeman, Hattie
Fields, Bell Key, Mattie Chambers and Lizzie Mae Moodie; Messrs. John
Clayton, L.B. Thomas, J.B. Hoff, George Morrow and H.K. Rea.