Newberry Sanford Henry 
  Grayson County TXGenWeb
  Newberry Sanford Henry

From Ed Smith <>

Newberry Sanford Henry
9 Nov 1839- Calhoun Co., Ala. -17 Feb 1932- Cotton Co., Okla.
Wed Nancy Norwood Hambright 2 Feb 1886 Grayson Co., Tx.
Buried in the Sandy Spring (aka, Sandusky Cemetery)

1880 U.S. census, 7th Precinct, Grayson Co., TX, FHL Film #1255307, NA
Film #T9-1307, p. 372D:
HENRY, Newberry S., W M, 39, --, M, laborer, AL -- --
Mary A., W F, 28, wife, M, keeping house, MS TN MS
Claude L., M W, 7, son, S, TX -- --
Willie M., F W, 6, dau., S, TX -- --
Alla M., F W, 4, dau., S, TX -- --
Florence E., F W, 2, dau., S, TX -
Fay, F W, 2 months, S, TX-

1900 U.S. census, Fisher Co., TX
13A/B, Dwg. 219 / Fam. 220, lines 50/51-54:
HENRY, Newberry S., head, W M, NOV 1842, 57, M15, AL NC GA, farmer
Nannie, wife, W F, NOV 1856, 43, M15, mother of 6/4 living, TN TN TN
Frederick, son, W M, MAR 1891, 9, S, TX AL TN
Walter, son, W M, MAY 1896, 4, S, TX AL TN
Mary, dau., W F, OCT 1898, 1, S, TX AL TN

1910 U.S. census, Justice Precinct 7, Grayson Co., TX,
261A, Dwg. / Fam. 18, lines 33-40:
HENRY, Newberry S., head, M W, 68, M(2)25, AL NC GA, farmer (general farm)
Nancy N., wife, F W, 53, M(1)25, mother of 6/4 living, TN TN AL
Maisie W., dau., F W, 36, S, TX AL TN
Florence E., dau., F W, 32, S, TX AL TN, teacher (public school)
Frederick N., son, M W, 19, S, TX AL TN, farm laborer (home farm)
Nancy L., dau., F W, 16, S, TX AL TN, farm laborer (home farm)
Walter B., son, M W, 13, S, TX AL TN, farm laborer (home farm)
Mary E., dau., F W, 11, S, TX AL TN, farm laborer (home farm)

1920 U.S. census, 7th Precinct, Grayson Co., TX, p. 245B,
Dwg. / Fam. 154, lines 51-56:
HENRY, Newberry S., head, M W, 81, M, AL NC GA, farmer (general farm)
Nancy N., wife, F W, 63, M, TN TN AL
Frederick N., son, M W, 28, W, TX AL TN, laborer (home farm)
Fay, dau., F W, 40, S, TX AL TN
Zelma L., gdau., F W, 7, S, TX TX TX
Mary L., gdau., F W, 6, S, TX TX TX

1930 Montague Co., Tx 2 J-PCT
Newberry S. Henry  Father in Law 90 wd b. ALA.
Fay N. Henry,  Sister in Law 49 single. b. TX. ( this is his daughter not sister in law)

View His Tombstone
The Whitesboro News- Record, Whitesboro, Texas
Thursday, May 21, 1931 and Friday May 22, 1931

     Newberry Sanford Henry was born in Calhoun County, Alabama, November 9, 1839, of English-Irish extraction. He is the only survivor of a family of thirteen children and the only one of nine brothers who came to Texas after Lee laid down his arms to Grant.
     His father, William Henry, and his mother, Sarah (Sallie C.) Ragsdale, Pioneered from North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia to Alabama, as a young couple.
     William Henry, his father, became a wealthy land owner, and a leader in the affairs of his state. He organized the present county of Cleburne, Alabama, and was for many years a Commissioner. He was also its first mill and gin owner and purchased for his wife the first cook stove ever used in that part of the state. The ladies came from miles around to see this wonderful invention. This cook stove was discarded in a short while, however, and later sold. It did not prove as satisfactory as the great fireplace that had always served to cook food for this numerous family.
He says his father at one time had collected 1400 dimes. His mother attended church at one place for 60 years. William Henry was always keenly interested in the development of his county and community. He invested in, and lost ten thousand dollars, when the then famous Selma, Al.and Dalton, Ga., railroad failed.
     On William Henry's place, where wrestled and played nine boys, work was always a paramount issue. Each lad had his definite tasks to perform, for it was held in that household that idle hands and brains were indeed, the devil's workshop.
     Women took pride in excelling in fine needle-work. There were no sewing machines when Berry Henry was a lad, and a great deal of the clothes worn were spun and woven by hand. But for best wear, fine calico, the Dollie Varden type, could be had at 75 cents a yard and silk at not a great
deal higher price. Men, for best wear, wore broadcloth elaborated into swallow-tailed coats.
     At the age of about twenty two Berry Henry, together with four brothers volunteered and joined the ranks of the Southern Confederacy. Only two returned, Berry..........(couple of sentences missing from newspaper clipping) with the 10th Alabama Regiment under Capt. Hanna to Virginia. After seeing some service, he became very ill and was in the hospital eight months before his father came and took him home to Al. Ten months elapsed before he was able to join the Tennessee Army at that time camped on Lookout Mountain.
     The morning following his arrival in camp, his command was drawn up in line of battle. It was deemed wise to divide the army. One half was stationed on the mountain top and the half he with occupied Lookout's rugged, wooded side.
     Berry Henry, in describing his first real fight said: " the morning was dark with fog, and the tangled brush, stubby trees and rocks tripped us. The enemy could not be discerned. There was a call for pickets to go forward , locate and test the enemy. We knew we would meet them. With gun in hand I crept stealthily along and as was expected, I met a Federal picket and commanded him to halt. Refusing, he advanced and simultaneously we fired. He fell, and I dodged behind a large tree to escape the rain of bullets hurled at me from the enemy's guns from some where in that awful fog. (and believe me, that tree was as full of bullets as a porcupine is of bristles). Providence often times shields His children in strange ways and places, and I felt that protecting care then as at other times of seemingly unescapable places."
     The Battle of Missionary Ridge, or The Battle That Never Was
     " After our skirmish with the enemy on Lookout Mountain, we retreated to Missionary Ridge. And there on the firing line, awaiting the attack of the Federal army that was being reinforced almost hourly, was seen the ............(words missing from the newspaper clipping) ........had ever held.
Fully......mile away, we could plainly see their colossal lines, column after column, forming for battle. We could hear the thunderous tread of between twenty and forty thousand soldiers. Officers, on their horses were galloping about, trumpeting their orders; the sounds of march kinds of music
blended with the marching and thunderous tramp of those horses' feet. All the trappings of a resplendent army served to paint on my mind an indelible picture. Entrenched in our own breast-works, we were watching with varying emotions. Easily outnumbered, ten to one, poorly equipped by comparison, we feared complete annihilation, but we never thought of surrendering. When one of the largest and bravest armies of that great war swept in grand style, to inspiring music, to within firing distance, General Hardy ran along our lines crying "Boys, Give 'EM Hell". Out we leaped over our breast works like grim -faced martyrs going to certain death, but determined to do our best."
     "We ran about fifty yards, halted, then poured into their lines a death -dealing volley that broke their ranks. They did not close in, but scattered like thousands of leaves before a mighty forest tornado. We saw some dead and wounded before us, but not a man of us was lost. Such shouting and rejoicing must have almost stormed the gates of Paradise."
Although forced, later, to retreat to Dalton, Ga., it was a famous victory that day.
     War, like every thing in life is not without its humorous side, "One time.....(Sentences missing from newspaper clipping) Tennessee, close on the heels of the enemy, they were hard pressed when crossing Duck River that they left their wagons, containing food, clothing and other supplies in mid-stream. The river was deep, its water icy, but it takes more than such handicaps to balk hungry men. Capt. Hughes, later a resident in my old home town, Whitesboro, Texas, swam to the wagons and "snitched" a pair each of oil trousers and heavy overcoats. How we ever made it back through those icy waters with such a heavy load, we also managed to carry a quantity of food, we could never tell."
     He relates this story: " We arrived at Franklin, Tennessee, where the army had entrenched and great breastworks were thrown up. Horrible scenes met our vision as we saw both Federals and Confederates piled two or three deep. We marched to Nashville, Tennessee and there threw up breastworks and stayed several days. The weather was severely cold."
     " I was selected to serve on picket duty. I walked all night long to keep from freezing to death. We were very hungry, and I said: "Lets get something to eat." We took a gun and hunted all day without success. Just before dusk we came across a old hog pen; at one end there were three hogs. Very soon an old man came to feed them. We talked with him and shortly he left us. With some difficulty we managed a small slip-gap, turned the hogs out, drove them to the big pen about 200 yard and shot one. We cut out all we could carry thrown over a pole and walked eight miles back to camp. We had six men in our mess and such a feast."
     "In retreating from Tennessee, Pettus's Alabama brigade marched in a hollow square all day long, fighting the enemy's calvary from every side as they surrounded us. Just about dark they made a terrific effort to run through our ranks and capture us. We were near a river, so plunged in, some times wading, at other times swimming, we managed to get across. The weather was bitterly cold and we were almost frozen to death, but the advance had got over the river and build huge log fires and thus saved our brigade from what would have resulted in tragedy worse than capture."
     "Next move we were ordered to Virginia to aid Lee, but on arriving we found that Lee's army had surrendered and was going home. I saw Jeff Davis and his Cabinet running from the Federals."
      "Just after dark there was an iron box taken from one of the cars placed on the ground near our command; and I was one of the six men appointed to guard it. This box was about two feet square and exceedingly heavy. Each of us tried to lift it but failed. We decided it contained gold or silver, possibly both, and that it belonged to Jeff Davis. Jeff Davis was captured on that trip and our conjectures verified. General Johnson surrendered in the Spring and we all returned home."
     We wanted to get back to normal living, and to work, but horses were scarce. There were not enough for all. We received information the the Federals at that time were turning loose thin, poorly conditioned horses near Atlanta, Ga., about eighty miles distant.
      I walked the eighty miles but failed to find a loose horse; they had been picked up as fast as turned out. Just before night I saw a Federal regiment moving northward, and I decided that was my chance for a horse. I followed them to a thicket where they staked camp. It was absolutely dusk and I maneuvered about their camps until I located where some horses were kept that I might secure. I stole near on my hand and knees, under the cover of darkness, and was slowly making my way to where the horses were. Two fine horses, with halters on, tramped past me into a old field. I was shaky but I caught them, made my get away safely and rode all night, stopping at my uncle"s. The Yankees made chase. They were armed and told me that they were going to have those horses if they if they had to bring in a regiment. I told them I hadn't seen the horses. At that very moment I had them tied to a grove about 50 yards from the house..........(Next few sentences or maybe more are missing from newspaper clipping).......................
     Newberry Sanford Henry left his home in Heflin, Alabama, after the Civil War and moved, first to Pittsburg, Texas, then to Winnsboro, Wood County Texas, where he worked splitting rail for $1.50 per day. Five years after Berry Henry's marriage to Miss Mary Henderson he sold his farm near Winnsboro and purchased a place near Whitesboro, Grayson County, Texas. After the death of his first wife, Mary Henderson Henry, he married Miss Nancy Hambright. At the time of this article he had resided in Grayson Co., Texas for fifty years. He was 92 years old when this article was written.
     His life was unique in that he never had a law-suit, never was sued, was never a witness in court, Yet for more than 40 years was active in all progressive and worthwhile movements of his community. He never had a debt that he did not pay.
     He says: " I joined the Methodist Church during the war. I never sowed any wild oats and lived a virtuous life without habit of any kind and used tobacco in no form whatsoever. I led the singing at Winnsboro for five years and served also in other capacities as Sunday school superintendent, choir and prayer meeting leader and church steward."
     Death has thinned the ranks of his old-time friends, but he headily makes new ones, and has a keen interest in all the affairs of life. He still possesses a geniality not often encountered in men much younger.

The Cleburne News 1920 (Ala)
Helfin, Cleburne County, Alabama

Coming For A Visit After 42 Years Away

"Uncle" Jeff Henry has just received a letter from his brother N.S. Henry who resides near the town of Whitesboro, Grayson County, Texas in which he says he is planning a visit to Cleburne county in the near future. Fifty-six years ago, or right after the Civil War, Mr. Henry went west, settling in Texas with only 50 cents capital, but with an abundant supply of energy, has succeeded in life so far as this world's goods are concerned.

Forty-two years ago, Mr. Henry was here on a visit. Uncle Jeff has had no word from his brother in over 30 years until the letter this week. Mr. Henry writes that he is in his 81st year and is enjoying the best of health.

Back to the Grayson County TXGenWeb Index page
If you find any of Grayson County TXGenWeb links inoperable,
please send me a message.
Visit the TXGenWeb State Page.
Visit the USGenWeb
This page is maintained by Elaine Nall Bay ©2008