Dallas Morning News
September 24, 1894
from Denison Gazetteer:
The proper history of Denison dates from Sept 22, 1872, the day of
the first sale of lots. At that time Atoka on the north and Dallas
on the south were the nearest railway stations. No road had yet penetrated
the state from the east, and westerly you could travel from here to the
Pacific coast without once hearing the rumbling of a railroad train or
the sound of a locomotive whistle. The building of Denison was carried
on in a very different way from that of Solomon's temple. The stones
used in its construction, instead of being squared in the quarries where
raised, were never squared at all, and the sound of the ax and hammer was
not only heard throughout the day, but during all the live-long night and
Sundays, too. The pioneers of Denison were enthusiasts upon the subject
of education, and as early as the second year of the city's history they
established the first ten months' free school ever held in Texas.
Not content with this, in the following year they completed and equipped
what was then and for years afterward the finest public school building
in the state. The first train of cars entered the city from the north
on Christmas Eve 1872, and the first from the south in the following March.
Denison of to-day - It goes without saying that she is possessed of all
the modern facilities, such as national banks, gasworks, waterworks, electric
lights, street cars, daily newspapers, a well equipped fire department,
etc., for they are matters which no well regulated city can do without.
But there are others which all cities do not possess. Her school-houses
have increased and multiplied until there are eight handsome two-story
structures of four to six rooms each, and her corps of teachers amount
to nearly forty. She lies at the very edge of the immense coal fields
of the Indian territory. She has an unlimited supply of the very
best building materials, her dealers shipping annually great quantities
of brick, stone and time.