Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
1108 West Day St.
Photographs by ;
Pleasant Grove Baptist
Church has served Denison's African community since 1883, when it was
established as a mission of Hopewell Baptist Church. The church
was first located at Shepard Street and Perry Avenue, but soon moved to
1108 West Day, with a new church building. A fire destroyed the
building in February 1918. The worshipers temporarily set up camp
at 701 West Morton Street, which later housed 7-Up Bottling Company.
A new church was dedicated in 1921, but it too went up in flames.
In April 1935, the congregation dedicated still another building,
shown above. Below are cornerstones or plaques on the church