James Archer Potts
and Wichita Indian tribes occupied the area around current-day
Pottsboro before Anglo settlement began in the 19th century.
Among the early settlers was James G. Thompson, who owned most of the
land in the area; his daughter,
Sarah Virginia, married James A. Potts (1838 - 1905), a Confederate
veteran born in Alabama, rancher, and land developer who moved to
Grayson County in 1868. On 1 July 1876 James A. Potts
title to 160 acres in Fannin District/Grayson County. Potts
played a key roll in the creation of the town and was a prominent land
owner and businessman in the area.
Recovering from a long construction delay caused by the Civil War,
railroads began building lines through this area of Texas in the late
1870s. James and Sarah Potts deeded land for a right-of-way to the
Denison and Pacific Railway, a subsidiary of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas
Railroad, in 1878. which would
extend its tracks westward from Denison to his settlement.
Potts is credited with drawing up the plat for the new railroad
town named in his honor. The
community, no doubt aided by its status as a stop on the railroad, grew
rapidly for the rest of the 1800s
to the 1880 census, James had four children under the age of 6 at home
- Ida, James F., William T., and Alice, After Sarah Thompson Potts'
death in 1880, James married Mary Short (1841 - 1928); there appears to
be no children from this union. James died in 1905 at the age
66 and is buried in Georgetown Cemetery
was incorporated on June 19, 1885 and its
population had reached 200; the town supported a cotton gin, several
gristmills, and a number of churches. Main Street ran north and south,
in the early days. Within
a decade Pottsboro boasted homes, churches, general stores, grist
mills, a cotton gin, post office, hotel/saloon, and school.
post office opened there in 1891. The Katy Railroad named its
"Chambersville", but the name was later changed to "Pottsboro" because
of the name of the Post Office that was the desire of the citizens. The
two-story Alice Hotel was located just north of the depot on the east
side of the street.
1892 the east side of the business district was destroyed by fire.
The west side was almost totally destroyed
by another major
fire in 1923, and a year later in 1924, another fire badly damaged the
east side of the business district again. But the citizens
rebuilt and the town prospered.
Pottsboro Ranch, 1939
States government construction of Perrin Army Air Field and Lake Texoma
during the 1940s brought additional economic benefits to the town.
The coming of Lake Texoma kept Pottsboro alive and today most
Pottsboro's economy is directed toward Lake Texoma, with bait shops,
cafes, and other business located on the east/west highway through town.
is on Farm Road 120, eight miles northwest of Sherman in north central
Grayson County. The Historical
Marker is located on FM 120 at Friendship
Church of Christ
Withdrawing from Denison ISD, a vote was to consolidate with Willow
Springs School and Georgetown
School. The new elementary and high school were
opened in 1965.
Grayson County Index
Elaine Nall Bay