Grayson County TXGenWeb
The development of Funeral Directing derived from three specific needs:
Services for the dead were conducted by family, friends or neighbors. The "laying-out" and funeral were conducted in the home. The majority of deaths occurred at home, so most lying-in-state and the funeral service occurred at home.
A wooden box or casket was built at home. In some cases, due to the isolation of a family or the lack of time to build a coffin, the body of the deceased was placed in the ground, although not a common practice.
Funeral service was provided from other business establishments, often a furniture store.
When funeral homes began to operate as a separate business, they provided personnel to serve, caskets, carriages into the late 1800s.
J. NEVINS and CO.
N. W. WELSH
HARRIMAN & MORRIS
ROBERT R. DULLIN
HAYNES & SPORER
Also Upholsterer Business
W. H HALTON
W. C. MORRIS and CO.
SHIELDS and SHORT and MURRAY
WHITTON and HICKEY
W. J. WILLIAMS
GEORGE L. H. SHIELDS
DANNEL FUNERAL HOME
John C. Dannel
A. J. MONDAY
1st Black Funeral Home
Also owned & operated Magnolia Cemetery for Blacks
SHORT and SHIELDS
evolved into present day BRATCHER FUNERAL HOME 1932
WALDO FUNERAL HOME
JOHNSON-MOORE FUNERAL HOME
EARNHEART FUNERAL HOME
Funeral Dress & Customs
Families, including children, in mourning wore only deep black, gradually lightening to gray, lavender, and touches of white.
Black silk handkerchiefs or white handkerchiefs trimmed in black were used. Also worn in black were gloves, bonnets, umbrellas, fans and jewelry.
Black-edged mourning stationary was used by bereaved families. This custom inspired the song "The Letter Edged in Black".
Friendship Cemetery opened in the 1830s
Old Cedar Cemetery opened ca 1848
Virginia Point Cemetery opened ca 1842
Hall Cemetery opened in January 1857 with two burials within a week
West Hill Cemetery opened ca 1858
Van Alstyne Cemetery opened ca 1860
Greenwood Cemetery opened before 1869
St. Mary's Cemetery opened ca 1869
Oakwood Cemetery (Denison) opened in 1872
Fairview Cemetery opened in 1882
Calvary Cemetery opened in 1882
Cedarlawn Cemetery opened after World War II
Grayson County History
Elaine Nall Bay