Grayson County Schools
Denison Sunday Gazetter
May 3, 1891
|Brownsville School||history||2908 S. Woodlawn|
|Cotton Mill School||1876 - 1922||W. Florence|
|Denison High School||1911||Senior Class|
|1914||Yellow Jacket yearbook|
|1920||Miss Eva Pauline James graduation name card|
|1923||Nell Klinkman graduation invitation|
|1931||Graduation name cards|
|1933||Graduation name cards|
|1934||Rosa Faye McCain graduation name card|
|1935||Graduation invitation & name cards|
|1936 - 1937||UIL Debate Team|
|1901 - present||Battle of the Axe History|
|Denison Junior High School||1945 - 1946||Gremlins Baseball Team|
|1960 - 1961||Student Directory|
|Golden Rule School||history||815 W. Florence St.|
|2013||Golden School Reunion, DHS class of 1971|
|Houston Elementary School||history|
|Lamar Elementary School|
|McDaniel Junior High School||history|
|1960 - 1961||Student Directory|
|1962 -1963||Student Directory cover|
|1963 - 1964||Student Directory|
|1964 - 1965||Student Directory|
|St. Patrick's Parochial School for Boys||1899 - 1900||City Directory|
|St. Xavier's Academy||history||Catholic school|
|1953 Fall Carnival|
|Stevens School||1890 - 1917||Austin & Walker|
|Walton Elementary School||history||Day St. @ Perry|
|Robert E. Lee Elementary||1945 - 1946|
|1956 - 1957|
|Sherman High School||1912||Graduation Class|
|1933||The Athenium, partial|
|1935||State Quarterfinalist, football|
|1938||annual Sherman vs Denison high school football game|
|1901 - present||Battle of the Axe History|
1st School held in Grayson Co. was near Ambrose at Ft. Warren, a settlers' fort, on what is now the County Line in far northeast Grayson Co., near where Virginia Point Methodist Church stands. Families took refuge there from Indian attacks in 1839.
Basin Springs Academy
Basin Springs Academy, 1872 - 1879
54. Bells School District - first Bells School building - 1878 in the North Bells School Dist.
(First school held in the Bells area was known as "Corneilison School", closed by 1878)
Bells School district is still active. District Schools - Ambrose, Canaan, Cherry Mound, Hebron, Calamus, Pink Hill, Bethel (Colored School), Dugan Chapel, Jernigan and Mahurin in Fannin Co. were all consolidated with Bells School over the years.
The Academy at Bells - private school
Belsher School - No. 69 Belsher community between Whitesboro & Sadler
59. Bethany School District - one-room school house and expanded to a two-room schoolhouse in early 1900's, merged with Bell
6. Bethel School District - south of Whitewright - West part plat
Built 1870, consolidated with Whitewright in the middle 1940s. Building used by the Bethel Church after that.
48. Bethel School District #48 - south of Bells ("Colored School") 1892, new school building built west of the old building in 1936. Consolidated with Bells.
116. Bethel School District - north of Dorchester - North Side
115. Blackbridge School District - late 1890s - consoidated with Sherman schools.
This school was where the children who lived at the Woodmen's Circle Home attended school.
5. Blanks School District - southwest of Whitewright Est. 1892, called "Littlerock School"
consolidated with Whitewright
16. Burke School District - consolidated with Gunter
52. Calamus School District - a two-room school north of Pink Hill, consolidated with Bells
47. Canaan School District - Established 1860s between Whitewright and Bells. The 1919 tornado damaged the building but, repaired, it served until it merged with Whitewright.
95. Cashion School District - Northeast Section - West Part
Started late 1800's, consolidated with Denison in the 1940s.
39. Cedar School District - west of Luella - top of Cedar Dist - top portion
An Academy was started in 1871, it turned into the Cedar School, consolidated with Tom Bean in 1937.
107. Cedar Mills School District, two Cedar Mills Schools were built , #1 (near Cedar Mills Cemetery) & #2.
#2 became known as "Little Egypt School". This one was built in the 'Lower Red River bottom"
They consolidated in 1918. About 1920 a new building was built north of the old consolidated school. This school was closed due to the building of Lake Texoma. They were consolidated with Whitesboro.
37. Celtic School District - south of Luella. Early one-room school; expanded to three rooms. Consolidated in 1936 with Howe & Tom Bean
68. Center School District - North Part - South Part - 5 miles south of Whitesboro - -room school house, expanded a couple of times. Consolidated with Whitesboro in 1938.
88. Cherry Mound School District - east of Denison; north of the road near the Cherry Mound Cemetery. Consolidated with Denison and Bells. Building used later as a church.
57. Choctaw Grove School District - 2.5 miles southeast of Sherman
17. Clayton School District - southwest of Sherman, consolidated with Gunter and Howe
13. Cleveland School District (Lincoln Park) - north of Van Alstyne - the school building was moved into Van Alstyne and used for a house.
Central portion plat - SE section
Coffman School ~ 1917 Photo
8. Cold Springs School District - southeast of Van Alstyne - consolidated with Van Alstyne in mid 1940s. portion of this plat is online
27. Collinsville School District - first school a one-room cabin in the 1870s. Second school a two-story wooden school, at the south end of the town's first Main St. and called the "Collinsville Academy".
1882 - a six-room building was built. Later a brick school was built and in use 1904-1940. This school district is still in use.
- Collinsville- Class of 1927
- Collinsville 6th Grade, 1942-1943
- Collinsville High School Group 1940
- Collinsville School Group 1940
- Collinsville School 1941
- Collinsville Graduating Class of 1941
- Collinsville Girls' Basketball Team - 1941
- Collinsville Graduation program - 1941
- Collinsville School Building Dedication Exercise Program
- Photograph of the Collinsville School Building
- Collinsville Graduation Day ~ 1946
Columbia College ~ Van Alstyne
66. County Line School District - on the Grayson / Cooke Co. Line. One-room schoolhouse
28. Dawkins School District - north of Collinsville
118. Delaware School District - northwest corner of Grayson County at Delaware Bend
87. DeVoignes School District - southeast of Denison - also on this plat - East Side. A one-room school built in 1880. They added to it and it was in session until it was consolidated with Denison in 1950. The DeVoignes School is now a place for the Texoma Square Dance Club, 929 DesVoignes Road, Denison.
133. Dexter School District - overlaps Cooke County
73. Dixie District Plat - north of Whitesboro (was first called "Theodore"); two early buildings, consolidated with Whitesboro in mid 1940s
33. Dorchester School District - southwest of Sherman - Consolidated with Howe
84. Dripping Springs School District - consolidated with Denison
112. Dugan School District - northwest of Bells - Consolidated with Bells in the 1930s
10. Eagle Point School District - near Van Alstyne, consolidated with Van Alstyne in 1937
30. Elm View School District - consolidated with Gunter in 1934
15. Elmont School District - west of Van Alstyne, was first known as "Crossroads"
80. Enterprise School District - southwest of Pottsboro - South side of the plat
First called "Cottage Hill" and also "Possom Trot" until the 1880s. Then "Enterprise" when a new school was built.. Moved one last time in 1920 to what is now next to the Enterprise Cemetery and later consolidated with Pottsboro 1930s.
24. Ethel School District - NE and Central Part Consolidated with Collinsville in 1941
110. Eureka School District - Eureka Plat -The Eureka School was on Preston Bend, located in the town of Preston. The Mayrant School to the west and the Eureka School were consolidated sometime in the early 1900's and a new building built across from the Preston Bend Cemetery and called "Eureka School".
63. Fairview School District
18. Farmington School District - southwest of Sherman, Farmington town plat - Farmington Dist. Map - Consolidated with Howe
99. Geiger School District - SW Section - West Part
Gentry School ~ located on the Gentry farm in the far SE corner of Grayson County; classes were held from 1860-1880s
97. Georgetown School District -- Georgetown school was an early school forming about 1870. This school continued until consolidated with the Pottsboro School Districr.
129. Golden Rule School - Cotton Mill School District - south side of Denison, usually was called the "Cotton Mill School" until later years.
121. Grayson Land Company School District - nicknamed the "Lone Star School", West Side - North Section - Far East Side
Consolidated with Southmayd in 1941.
82. Greystone School District - West side - North Side - SE Corner
21. Gunter School District (first called Jot District #123) has had many different buildings. It was established in the late 1800's.
11. Hackberry School District - northwest of Van Alstyne - SE Corner
125. Hagerman School District - most of this town is now under Lake Texoma - SW Corner plat
In pioneer days children in this area attended Enterpise, Plainview or Pottsboro. The town of Hagerman was founded in 1904 and it had a private school nearby that was meeting in a tent. It moved to church buildings and then the Hagerman District and a building erected in 1907.
Consolidated with Pottsboro in 1943.
53. Hebron School District - north of Bells. Consolidated with Bells, its building moved to become the Bells School Gym., torn down in the late 1990s.
35. Helvey School District -- south of Sherman; consolidated with Howe
Hogtown School District ~ south of Collinsville; located about 1/4 mile east @ northwest corner of Hogtown Rd & Welch School Rd.
89. Hollingsworth School District- southwest of Denison (community was Ellsworth)
31. Howe School District - South Tip
29. Hunter School District - Range Creek
86. Hyde Park School District - south Denison - SW Part - NW Part
Est. in 1891, consolidated with Denison.
46. Ida School District - north of Tom Bean/ Kentuckytown area, established in the late 1800s.
. Town Plat
76. Independence School District - nicknamed "Arkansas School" - north of Gordonville
Established late 1800's; consoidated with Gordonville.
14. Jamison School District #14 - northeast of Van Alstyne
Jamison School group, year unknown
49. Jernigan School District - north of Ida - S portion
123. Jot School District - first name and district number of Gunter School.
44. Kentuckytown School District - between Tom Bean and Whitewright. School held in a church until a building was built in 1850s. The school was destroyed by a tornado while in session in the 1860s; the teacher were killed. Consolidated with unknown school.
93. Layne School District - By 1879 it was called "The Mt. Pleasant Academy" and became a public school. Several buildings were built over the years and it was consolidated with Denison.
Layne School District
Layne School ~ unknown year
Layne School, 3rd & 4th grades ~ 1948 - 1949
Layne School, 3rd grade ~ 1958
Layne School ~ 6th grade banquet
Layne School building
Principal Gordon Rutledge
106. Liberty School District North Section - South Section
23. Libery Hill School District - 3.5 miles east of Tioga on Hwy. 121, consolidated with Tioga
Liberty Hiill School Board ~ year unknown
32. Lincoln Park School District (consolidated with Cleveland)
Little Brown School was located northwest of Howe - need more info on this school and district number.
114. Lovejoy School District ~ 8 miles east of Collinsville
58. Loving plat - Consolidated with Sherman
40. Luella School District - South West of Sherman - NE part - Town Plat showing School Lot - (Cleveland District 13) - founded in the late 1800s. Schools that were consolidated with Luella were: Union Point and Paradise districts. The Union Point School building was moved next to the Luella School for this consolidation and added on to. Later a brick school was built; It is still standing.
67. Macomb School District- southeast of Whitesboro - SE Part - East Part - North Side
Macomb School was on land that is now added to the the Macomb Cemetery lot, which stood next to the school.. The school was started in the late 1800s. Consolidated with Whitesboro in 1939.
Mantua School - no district number known (the settlement was mostly in Collin Co.) - merged with Van Alstyne
128. Marchman School District - Colored School, covered the area around Pilot Grove to Cannon.
Maribelle School District - Unknown district number - Colored School - 6 Mi. E. of Sherman (1910)
100. Martin Springs School District - North Part
111. Mayrant School District - West portion of Preston Bend, This school set close to the Mayrant (Potts Cemetery) . The Mayrant and the Eureka School (in the town of Preston) were consolidated in the early 1900s and a new building built across from the Preston Bend Cemetery and called Eureka School.
113. McCollum School District - West of Bells- SW corner
102. Mill Springs School District
127. Mt. Carmel School District ( I think this was West of Van Alstyne)
75. Monger School District, 1896 - 1935 ~ east of Sandusky
Monger School history
Monger school group, 1930 - 1931
70. Nance Prairie School District- North of Whitesboro
79. Needle Ridge School District - (same number that is shown on Ambrose School District?)
New Bethel School 1902
83. Oak Grove School District - West of Denison-SE Part - SE Corner - NE Part
Est. in late 1800's , consolidated with Pottsboro in 1951.
92. Oak Ridge School District - East of Denison-The school was located near the Oak Ridge Cemetery. It was est. in late 1800s
105. Overton School Distric - aka Pinchum School - West Part - East Part - SE Corner Est. abt 1900 by a Mr. Overton. The story goes that it was nicknamed Pinchum for "Pinched 'um" ~ the board seats built for the school had cracked and pinched the children a lot.
2. Oxford School District - West of Pilot Grove- Partial
41. Paradise School District ( Holloway) south of Luella- Consolidated with Luella.
1. Pilot Grove School School District - called Grico district in early records. First teachers - M.Barbee, E.B. Barrett, Bryon Caraway, Ora Bell, Ralph Judd, Von McAlistair, Valda Smith, Alice Tilger and Georgia Robinson- Pilot Grove Town Plat
Pilot Grove Colored School - no number known for it. Probably was under District No. 1
Used until consolidated with Whitewright. Their building burned once and the Oxford Schoolhouse was moved and used.
50. Pink Hill School District - west of Bells
78. Plain View School District - North Part
60. Pleasant Valley School District
Post Oak School ~ see Liberty School
96. Pottsboro School District -- Pottsboro Town Plat
- Pottsboro School, 1893
- Pottsboro School, 1966 yearbook
- Pottsboro School, 1967 yearbook
- Pottsboro Elementary, 1967 - 1968
- Pottsboro School, 1968 yearbook
- Pottsboro School, 1969 yearbook
- Pottsboro Cardinal Courier, 1977
- Pottsboro HS, 1977-1978
- Pottsboro Cardinal Courier, 1978
- Pottsboro HS, 1978-1979
109. Prairie Valley School District
Prairie Valley School
51. Prairie View School District - south of Southmayd
Preston School - see Eureka School District
55. Providence School District - north of Luella
74. Pull Off School
72. Quillin - School District (see Sadler)
Red Branch School District (is also numbered 105 as is Overton School) - Largest Map- Corner - West side
Range Creek School (aka Bug Tussel School) - located in the Day Community, 5 miles west of Dorchester
94. Reasor School District - west Part shown on plat
Riverside School was in the Reasor District
Riverside School 1916 - 1917
Red Branch School
4. Rose Hill School District - north of Cannon on the Tom Bean to Cannon Rd.
S&S School District
1965 Ram Yearbook
Sadler School ( Sadler is the Quillin School District No 72)
136 Sedalia School District - South of Cannon
122. Shady Grove School District - portion West side of its plat
91. Shiloh School District - East of Denison
7. Simmons School District - southeast of Van Alstyne - S Part - NW part
124. Skaggs School District - Gunter area . Consolidated with Gunter
90. South Gale School District - southeast of Denison- West Side
Starr School ws in this district and later merged.
117. Southmayd School District - west of Sherman
119. Sperry School District - West Part - NE Part
120. Stiff School District - 6 miles east of Tioga, near Gunter- Consolidated with Gunter
Tom Thumb wedding, 1945
Stiff Chapel, 1945 - 1947
12. Stinnett School District
126. Sunflower School District
- Tator Hill School (possibly near the Mt Carmel Cemetery and church)
email if you have more info.
Located near Desert on the Grayson, Collin, & Fannin Co. lines. It was in session 1880-1904. The school building was moved to Desert and became the Desert School.
- TIOGA SCHOOL YEARBOOKS
- Tioga school building
- Tioga football group
- Tioga Pep Squad
- Tioga student portraits
- Tioga Annual, 1918
- Tioga Senior Class, 1934
- Tioga school pictures, 1938
- Tioga class, 1939 - 1940
- Tioga Grade School Honor Roll, 11 December 1941
- Tioga graduates, 1941
- Tioga Class of 1941
- Tioga High School Honor Roll, 11 December 1941
- Tioga school group, 1943
- Tioga classes, 1945
- Memorial Serivce for President Roosevelt, 1945
- Tioga Seniors, 1946
- Tioga Elementary, 1947
- Tioga Chatter-Box yearbook, 1947
- Tioga girls' basketball team, 1947-1948
- Tioga Bulldogs, 1947
- Tioga 1947 Class ~ Poem
- Tioga school pictures, 1948
- Tioga sports, 1948
- Tioga school picture, 1948-1949
- Tioga class of 1950
- Miss Couch's square dance team
- Tioga Freshman & Senior class
- Tioga yearbook, 1952
- Tioga yearbook, 1953
- Tioga yearbook, 1954
- Tioga yearbook, 1955
- Tioga girls' basketball team, 1956
- Tioga Seniors, 1957
- Tioga Junior ~ Senior Banquiet booklet, 1957
- Tioga Girls Basketball team, 1957
- Tioga yearbook, 1957
- Tioga yearbook, 1958
- Tioga yearbook, 1959
- Tioga yearbook, 1960
- Tioga yearbook, 1961
- Tioga graduating class, 1961
- Tioga yearbook, 1961
- Tioga football team, 1965
- Tioga Elementary class, unknown year
- Tioga Elementary Rhythm Band
45. Tom Bean School District
Bosworth's Academy held in the 1880's was near Whitemound and Tom Bean
38. Union Point School District - east of Luella
36. Whitemound School District - west of Tom Bean
43. Walnut Grove School District - south of Kentuckytown
Warden School Dist. - this school was in north Collin County near Van Alstyne and not any relationship with the Worden/Warden Cemetery near Tom Bean.
25. Welch School District - south of Collinsville; located on north side of Hogtown Rd @ the intersection with Patton Rd.
- Welch High School Basketball Team 1926
- Welch School
81. Whiterock School District - north of Sherman- West Side
71. Whitesboro School District- S tip of the district-plat
- Whitesboro Normal School, 1878 - 1882
- Adair Normal School, 1894 - 1896
- Whitesboro High School 1932 Class
- Whitesboro High School Girls' Basketball team, early 1940s
- Note; During the War Between the States a school was taught by the Rev. Barton W. Taylor at the 'Whites Westview Inn'.
42. Whitewright School District
- Whitewright Tigers, 1925
- Whitewright High School Football, 1925
- Whitewright school, 1901
- Whitewright School, 1912
- Whitewright School, 1930s
- Whitewright yearbook, The Bell, 1946
- Whitewright City School
- Grayson College buildings later used for Whitewright High School and land used later for a middle school
- Whitewright High School Buildings at the old Grayson College Site
101. Willow Springs School District
- Willow Springs School
- Willow Springs Elementary, 1966 yearbook
- Willow Springs Elementary, 1967 yearbook
- Willow Springs Elementary, 1968 yearbook
Known School Districts Numbers not placed yet, there are several schools above with number not known, they are likely one of these.
103. , 131, 132 , 134 , 135
Sam A. Ragsdale's school tax receipt
Collinsville, Grayson Co., Texas
The Dallas Morning News
February 14, 1886
The News in Brief
The school teachers of Grayson County met at Sherman and organized the Grayson County School Teachers' Association