When St. Patrick's Catholic Church was established in 1874, it wasn’t too long before it was decided that a day school for girls was needed. Edward Perry, vice president of the First National Bank, had a home at 300 North Houston Avenue. In 1876, he built a duplicate of his home at 523 East Main Street. When Perry moved into the new house, Saint Francis Xavier’s Academy was established in the Perry home at 300 North Houston Avenue. The building later burned down.
Printed on Front : "First School of Sisters of St. Mary. 1876. The old Perry Residence.
Printed on Back : Perry Res. 101 W. Gandy. Sister Eleanor , St. Xavier's Academy
Collection of Grayson County Frontier Village
This Catholic boarding school was founded in 1876 by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur, Belgium, in association with St. Patrick's Catholic Church. This was the first of six Texas schools organized by the Sisters of St. Mary. In 1880, St. Xavier's built a structure (similar to the Perry House) at the corner of Sears Street and Burnett Avenue. It was dedicated in 1881.Next Page
Elaine Nall Bay