Grayson County Schools
Some have school district number & plats.
I have retained the word "Colored" as it is usually found on old county records.
- Barton - Taylor School (early boarding school located at the NE corner of Travis and Mulberry)
This school closed just before the Civil War began. The teacher was Rev. Barton W. Taylor
First School in Sherman -Capt. LeTellier's School for Boys, Sherman
Article about Capt . LeTelliers School
Capt. LeTelliers School Photo 1905
Jefferson School - 1896 (3rd pub. school)
Seminary- 1857 - 1859 , There were several schools that followed and were
in session during the 1860-1870's .
Odd Fellows Male and Female Institute and it was followed by the Odd Fellows Male and Female High School. Also mentioned at that time was the Sherman Male and Female Accademy, the last turned into the Sherman Female Academy when Capt. LeTellier opened the Academy for Boys.
Denison High School History
1850's Grayson County Schools
1st School held in Grayson Co was near Ambrose at Ft. Warren, a settlers fort, on what is now the
County Line in far NE Grayson Co. .near where Virginia Point Methodist Church stands.
Famlilies took refuge there from Indian attacks. This was in 1839
79. Ambrose School District
26. Barron School District- North West of Collinsville-Est. 1875 closed 1942.
77. Basin Springs School District- closed in 1936
54. Bells School District-First Bells School building -1878 in the North Bells School Dist.
(First school held in the Bells area was known as Corneilison School, closed by 1878)
Bells School district is still active , District Schools --Ambrose, Canaan, cherry Mound, Hebron, Calamus , Pink Hill, Bethel (Colored School), Dugan Chapel, Jernigan and Mahurin in Fannin Co. were all consolidated with Bells School over the years.)
The Academy at Bells- private school
59. Bethany School District- one room school house built? and expanded to a two room schoolhouse in early 1900's, merged with Bells.
6. Bethel School District- South of Whitewright - West part plat
Built 1870, consolidated with Whitewright in the middle 1940's. Building used by the Bethel Church after that.
48. Bethel School District - South of Bells ("Colored School") 1892, new school building built west of the old building in 1936. Consolidated with Bells.
116. Bethel School District - North of Dorchester- North Side
115. Blackbridge School District- late 1890's -consoidated with Sherman Schools.
This school was where the children who lived at the Woodmen's Circle Home attended School.
5. Blanks- School District- SW of Whitewright ( Est. 1892 Was called Littlerock School )
consolidated with Whitewright
130. Buck Creek School District- South West of Gunter
16. Burke School District- consolidated with Gunter
52. Calamus School District- a two room school. North of Pink Hill, Consolidated with Bells
47. Canaan School District - Est. 1860's , Between Whitewright and Bells. The 1919 tornado damaged the building but repaired it served till it merged with Whitewright.
3. Cannon School District
95. Cashion School District- NE Section - West Part
Started late 1800's, consolidated with Denison in the 1940's.
39. Cedar School District - West of Luella- top of Cedar Dist - top portion
An Academy was started in 1871, it turned into the Cedar School, consolidated with Tom Bean in 1937.
107. Cedar Mills School District, two Cedar Mills Schools were built , no. 1 (near Cedar Mills Cemetery) & no. 2. Number 2 became known as "Little Egypt School" This one was built in the 'Lower Red River bottom"
They consolidated in 1918. Abt. 1920 a new building was built north of the old consolidated school. This school was closed due to the building of Lake Texoma. They were consolidated with Whitesboro.
37. Celtic School District - South of Luella. Early one room school. It expanded to three rooms. It consolidated in 1936 with Howe & Tom Bean
68. Center School District -North Part - South Part- 5 miles south of Whitesboro- 1 room school house expanded a couple of times. Consolidated with Whitesboro in 1938.
88. Cherry Mound School District - East of Denison, north of the road near the Cherry Mound Cemetery. Consolidated with Denison and Bells. Building used later as a church.
57. Choctaw Grove School District- 2 and 1/2 miles South East of Sherman
17. Clayton School District- South West of Sherman, Consolidated with Gunter and Howe.
13. Cleveland School District ( Lincoln Park) - North of Van Alstyne- the school building was moved into Van Alstyne and used for a house.
Central portion plat - SE section
8. Cold Springs School District - South East of Van Alstyne-consolidated with Van Alstyne in mid 1940's. portion of this plat is online
27. Collinsville School District First school a one room cabin in the 1870's. 2nd school a two story wooden school , S. end of the 'town's first main st. and called the Collinsville Academy.
1882 -a 6 room building was built. later a brick school built and in use 1904 - 1940. This school district is still in use.
- Collinsville- Class of 1927
- Collinsville 6th Grade-1942-1943
- Collinsville High School Group 1940
- Collinsville School Group 1940
- Collinsville School 1941
- Collinsville Graduating Class of 1941
- Collinsville Girl's Basketball Team -1941
- Collinsville School Building Dedication Exercise Program
- Photograph of the Collinsville School Building
129. Golden Rule School - Cotton Mill School District - South Side of Denison, usually was called the Cotton Mill School until later years.
- Golden Rule School ~ 1922 -1923
Golden Rule School ~1924 & 1929
66. County Line School District - on the Grayson / Cooke Co. Line. One room schoolhouse
69. Crenshaw School District - near Whitesboro-Plat is divided North Part - South Part
28. Dawkins School District - North of Collinsville
118. Delaware School District - North West Corner of Grayson County at Delaware Bend
87. DeVoignes School District - South East of Denison - also on this plat - East Side. A One room school built in 1880. They added to it and it was in session until it was consolidated with Denison in 1950. The DeVoignes Schools is now a place for the Texoma Square Dance Club, 929 DesVoignes Road, Denison.
133. Dexter School District- Overlaps Cooke County
73. Dixie District Plat - North of Whitesboro ( Was first Called Theodore) two early buildings, consolidated with Whitesboro in mid 1940's.
33. Dorchester School District- South West of Sherman- Consolidated with Howe
84. Dripping Springs School District- consolidated with Denison
112. Dugan School District - North West of Bells- Consolidated with Bells in the 1930's.
10. Eagle Point School District - Near Van Alstyne, Consolidated with Van Alstyne in 1937.
30. Elm View School District - consolidated with Gunter in 1934.
15. Elmont School District West of Van Alstyne was first known as Crossroads
22. Emberson School District- South of Tioga
80. Enterprise School District- South West of Pottsboro-South Side of the plat
First called Cottage Hill and also Possom Trot till the 1880s. Then Enterprise when a new school was built. , moved one last time in 1920 to what is now next to the Enterprise Cemetery and later consolidated with Pottsboro 1930s'.
Era School Photographs-(Cooke County, just over the county line)
24. Ethel School District- NE and Central Part Consolidated with Collinsville in 1941
110. Eureka School District - Eureka Plat-The Eureka School was on Preston Bend, it was located in the town of Preston. The Mayrant School to the West and the Eureka School were consolidated sometime in the early 1900's and a new building built across from the Preston Bend Cemetery and called Eureka School
63. Fairview School District
18. Farmington School District- South West of Sherman, Farmington town plat- Farmington Dist. Map- Consolidated with Howe
99. Geiger School District- SW Section - West Part
97. Georgetown School District-- Georgetown school was an early school forming abt 1870. This school continued until consolidated with the Pottsboro School Dist.
104. Gordonville School District
121. Grayson Land Company School District- nicknamed the Lone Star School, West Side- North Sec - Far East Side
Consolidated with Southmayd in 1941.
82. Greystone School District- West side - North Side - SE Corner
21. Gunter School District (first called Jot district no. 123) Has had many different buildings. It was established in the late 1800's.
11. Hackberry School District- North West of Van Alstyne- SE Corner
125. Hagerman School District- most of this town is now under Lake Texoma-SW Corner plat
In pioneer days children in this area attended Enterpise, Plainview or Pottsboro. The town of Hagerman was founded in 1904 and it had a private school nearby that was meeting in a tent. It moved to church buildings and then the Hagerman District and a building erected in 1907.
Consolidated with Pottsboro in 1943.
53. Hebron School District- North of Bells. Consolidated with Bells, its building moved to become the Bells School Gym., torn down in the late 1990's.
35. Helvey School District-- South of Sherman- Consolidated with Howe
89. Hollingsworth School District- South West of Denison (Community was Ellsworth)
31. Howe School District-South Tip
29. Hunter School District (Range Creek)
86. Hyde Park School District- South Denison- SW Part - NW Part
Est. in 1891, consolidated with Denison.
46. Ida School District- North of Tom Bean/ Kentuckytown area, est. in the late 1800's.
. Town Plat
76. Independence School District- nicknamed Arkansas School - North of Gordonville
Est. late 1800's Consoidated with Gordonville.
14. Jamison School District- North of Van Alstyne
49. Jernigan School District- North of Ida- S portion
123. Jot School District- first name and district number of Gunter School.
44. Kentuckytown School District- Between Tom Bean and Whitewright. School held in a church until a building was built in 1850's. The school was destroyed by a tornado while in session in the 1860's , the teach er were killed. Consolidated with ?
93. Layne School District- West side of present Denison- School in session long before Denison was built to the east of Layne. By 1879 it was called The Mt. Pleasant Academy, and became a public school. Several buildings were built over the years and it was consolidated iwth Denison.
106. Liberty School District North Section - South Section
23. Libery Hill School District- West of Tioga, consolidated with Tioga
32. Lincoln Park School District( consolidated with Cleveland)
114. Lovejoy School District 8 mi. E of Collinsville
58. Loving plat - Consolidated with Sherman
40. Luella School District- South West of Sherman-NE part - Town Plat showing School Lot- (Cleveland Dist 13)- founded in the late 1800's, Schools that were consolidated with Luella were, Union Point and Paradise districts, the Union Point School building was moved next to the Luella School district for this consolidation and added to. Later a brick school was built, It is still standing.
67. Macomb School District- South East of Whitesboro - SE Part - East Part - North Side
Macomb School was on land that is now added to the the Macomb Cemetery lot which stood next to the school.. The school was started in the late 1800's. Consolidated with Whitesboro in 1939.
Mantua School - no district number known ( the settlement was mostly in Collin Co.)- merged with Van Alstyne
128. Marchman School District- Colored School, covered the area around Pilot Grove to Cannon.
Maribelle School District - Unknown district number - Colored School - 6 Mi. E. of Sherman (1910)
100. Martin Springs School District- North Part
111. Mayrant School District- West portion of Preston Bend, Th is school set close to the Mayrant ( Potts Cemetery) . The Mayrant and the Eureka School (in the town of Preston) were consolidated in the early 1900's and a new building built across from the Preston Bend Cemetery and called Eureka School.
113. McCollum School District- West of Bells- SW corner
102. Mill Springs School District
127. Mt. Carmel School District( I Think this was West of Van Alstyne)
75. Munger School District
70. Nance Prairie School District- North of Whitesboro
79. Needle Ridge School District-( same number that is shown on Ambrose School District?)
83. Oak Grove School District- West of Denison-SE Part - SE Corner - NE Part
Est. in late 1800's , consolidated with Pottsboro in 1951.
92. Oak Ridge School District - East of Denison-The school was located near the Oak Ridge Cemetery. It was est. in late 1800's
105. Overton School District-(Also called the Pinchum School )- West Part - East Part - SE Corner Est. abt 1900 by a Mr. Overton. The story goes that it was nicknamed Pinchum for Pinched um , the seats built for the school were made boards that had cracked and pinched children a lot.
2. Oxford School District - West of Pilot Grove- Partial
41. Paradise School District ( Holloway) South of Luella- Consolidated with Luella.
62. Pecan Grove School District - NE Part - NW Corner - SE Corner
96. Pottsboro School District -- Pottsboro Town Plat
1. Pilot Grove School School District-( it was called Grico district in early records. First teachers- M.Barbee, E.B. Barrett, Bryon Caraway, Ora Bell, Ralph Judd, Von McAlistair, Valda Smith, Alice Tilger and Georgia Robinson- Pilot Grove Town Plat
Pilot Grove Colored School - no number known for it. Probably was under District No. 1
built ? used until consolidated with Whitewright. Their building burned once and the Oxford Schoolhouse was moved and used.
50. Pink Hill School District- West of Bells
78. Plain View School District- North Part
61. Pleasant Home School District- West Side - East Side
60. Pleasant Valley School District
74. Pleasant View School District
109. Prairie Valley School District
51. Prairie View School District- South of Southmayd
Preston School - see Eureka School District
98. Progress School District
55. Providence School District- North of Luella
Red Branch School District (is also numbered 105 as is Overton School) -Largest Map- Corner - West side
72. Quillin - School District (see Sadler)
94. Reasor School District- West Part shown on plat
Riverside School was in the Reasor District-
Riverside School 1916 - 1917
108. Rock Creek School District
34. Rockport School District- South West of Sherman- West Side - East Side
Rosamond School ( just over the line in Collin Co) - year not mentioned.
4. Rose Hill School District - North of Cannon on the Tom Bean to Cannon Rd.
Sadler School ( Sadler is the Quillin School District No 72)
136 Sedalia School District - South of Cannon
122. Shady Grove School District- portion West side of its plat
85. Shannon School District -SW Corner - NW Part - East Part
91. Shiloh School District - East of Denison
7. Simmons School District - South East of Van Alstyne - S Part - NW part
124. Skaggs School District -Gunter area .Consolidated with Gunter
90. South Gale School District - South East of Denison- West Side
Starr School ws in this district and later merged.
117. Southmayd School District- West of Sherman
119. Sperry School District- West Part - NE Part
120. Stiff School District- Near Gunter- Consolidated with Gunter
12. Stinnett School District
19. Sunbeam School District - Consolidated with Gunter
126. Sunflower School District
56. Thompsonville School District - North East of Sherman- North Part & West Part- West end of plat
45. Tom Bean School District
Bosworths Academy held in the 1880's was near Whitemound and Tom Bean
38. Union Point School District - East of Luella
65. Unity School District - near Sadler- NW Part - East Side
36. Whitemound School District- West of Tom Bean
64. Valley Summitt School District- NW Part - North Part
9. Van Alstyne School District
43. Walnut Grove School District- South of Kentuckytown
Warden School Dist. - this school was in North Collin County near Van Alstyne
and not any relationship with the Worden/Warden Cemetery near Tom Bean.
25. Welch School District- South of Collinsville
20. Whiterock School District (Colored School)at Blanton
81. Whiterock School District - North of Sherman- West Side
71. Whitesboro School District- S tip of the district-plat
42. Whitewright School District
101. Willow Springs School District
Numbers not placed yet
103. , 131, 132 , 134 , 135
Sam A. Ragsdale's school tax receipt, 1874The Dallas Morning News
February 14, 1886
The News in Brief
The school teachers of Grayson County met at Sherman and organized the Grayson County School Teachers' Association