Barton W. Taylor established a boarding school on the site of the
Methodist Church building on N. Travis St. It was a one and one-half
story building. The school housed a lower floor and an upper floor which
served as a dormitory for boys. The class seats were logs cut in half with
split log legs. The students consisted of day pupils from neighboring towns
and Indian Territory. The students used McGuffey readers, Smith's
grammar and Blue Back Spellers. The school closed in 1855 when the owner
left for California.
Students: Jesse P. Loving, J.M. Binkley, Ellen Bomar and Smith Scott
from Kentuckytown; Davis Alberson and Frank Ocerton.
?Sherman Seminary to be open for pupils October 15th. Staff
includes Professor O.D. Howe, principal and Mrs. M.A. Howe, preceptress.
Courses of instruction includes depart of music, prepatory course; 3 year
mathematics and science; 4 years in classics; 3 sessions, 14 weeks each.
Ample accommodations for students from abroad.?
Dallas Herald, 3 July 1858.
Source: Grayson County Texas by Mattie Davis Lucas and Mita Holsapple
Hall c 1936