TXGenWeb Project    USGenWeb Project
Leake Building Historical Marker

Contributed by Eleanor Colson

Originally a one-story frame business house built in 1873 by Walter J. and Julia C. Peterson, this structure was enlarged in 1885. Native sandstone walls and a second story were added. John Wesley Leake (1852-1940), a builder, horse breeder, and race track owner, bought the property in 1886. He and his descendants owned the building more than 80 years. The Victorian commercial structure has housed many important firms. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977

Home Page | Anderson Tour | Our Ancestors | Census Page | Veterans Page | Cemetery Page