TXGenWeb Project    USGenWeb Project
Lewis J. Wilson Building Historical Marker

Contributed by Eleanor Colson

A native of Connecticut, Lewis J. Wilson (1832-1895) moved with his parents to Grimes County in 1851. His father Samuel opened a general merchandise business in Anderson. Lewis managed the store until 1861 when he left to serve in the Civil War. After the war he returned to Anderson and opened a mercantile store in partnership with W. R. Howell and John Quincy Yarborough. They completed construction of this brick building in 1871 for a second establishment. Wilson was the sole proprietor by 1881 and continued to manage the business until his death.

Home Page | Anderson Tour | Our Ancestors | Census Page | Veterans Page | Cemetery Page