Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Guadalupe Victoria Chapter


Texas Society 
  Daughters of the American Revolution

Victoria, Texas


 Meetings  |   Officers   |   History   |   C. A. R.Home  |  Patriots  | Visit Victoria 
Chapter History e-ribbon


The historic Power Home
Click here to see a larger picture.

The Stevenson family is shown in the photo.

In February 23, 1934, one of the daughters of an old Victoria family and a group of her friends began the official steps to organize a Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. Mrs. Genevieve Power Stevenson, wife of James W. Stevenson, and daughter of Edward Power, was elected Organizing Regent, and on September 14, 1936, a Charter was granted, signed, and sealed.
Guadalupe Victoria DAR Charter
Click here to see full version of the Charter.

Charter Members:
Gladys Field Cole
Fannie J. Dowe
Myrtle J. Dowe
Salina Lipscomb DuPre
Alice Hunter Fallis
 Marjorie Steele Frels  
Carrie Thomas Griffin
Virginia Steele Higgins
Shelley Chilton Jordan
Kathryn Stoner O'Connor
Carrie Thompson Rosborough
Genevieve Power Stevenson
Julia Covey Sutherland
Gertrude McCord Tolson


The Chapter was named Guadalupe Victoria, a name taken from the original name of the Spanish Land Grant given to the Empresario Martin De Leon in 1824, "Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de Jesus y Victoria."  The name was suggested by Mrs. Kathryn O'Connor.

In 1959, Mrs. Stevenson deeded her lovely Victorian home, which had been built by her father in 1894, to the Victoria Chapters of the three hereditary organizations of which she was a member, or associate member; The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, The United Daughters of the Confederacy, and The Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Well-known for its wide porch and columns, the historic Power Home and its grounds are still maintained by these three groups, which gather there for their meetings.

The following article is an exact replication of an old chapter history article published in the "History of the Texas Society, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Commemorating the Bi-Centennial Era in Texas, 1929 through 1974", and copyrighted 1975 by Texas Society Daughters of the American Revolution.

From the original land grant for his colony given to Martin de Leon in 1824, the name of the DAR chapter in the present city of Victoria is derived.  The name of the town was first given as Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de Jesus y Victoria, "Our Lady of the Guadalupe and Victoria," but was later shortened to Victoria.

Organization of the Guadalupe Victoria Chapter began on February 23, 1934, with Mrs. J. W. Stevenson as Organizing Regent, and was completed on September 14, 1934.  Listed on the chapter as officers were Mesdames J. W. Stevenson, Regent; V. L. Griffin, Vice Regent; J. J. Tolson, Recording Secretary; Ben Jordan, Treasurer; C. B. Fallis, Registrar; T. M. O'Connor, Historian; and J. M. Rosborough, Chaplain.

The charter members were Gladys Field Cole, Fannie J. Dowe, Myrtle J. Dowe, Selina Lipscomb DuPre, Alice Hunter Fallis, Carrie Thomas Griffin, Marjorie Steele Frels, Virginia Steele Higgins, Shelly Chilton Jordan, Kathryn Stoner O'Connor, Carrie Thompson Rosborough, Genevieve Power Stevenson, Julie Covey Sutherland, and Gertrude McCord Tolson.

A permanent home for the chapter was received in 1959 as a gift from Genevieve Power Stevenson, Organizing Regent.  This property was deeded to three historical and patriotic organizations in Victoria of which Mrs. Stevenson was an active member.  The DAR chapter occupies one large room of the Power home, located at 307 South William Street.

Past Regents of the chapter include Mesdames J. W. Stevenson, V. L. Griffin, Ben T. Jordan, W. S. Higgins, Janie S. Fly, Rubin Frels, Joseph Wearden, E. Woody Charske, Mark J. Gregory, W. T. Browning, J. H. Tolson, S. C. Tucker, E. H. Marek, C. B. Fallis, James R. Lewis, W. M. Murphy, Sr., L. D. Stuart, A. J. House, C. S. Wofford, L. H. Von Dohlen, and Mrs. Jackson O. Miller, Jr., serving currently.

Since its origin, Guadalupe Victoria Chapter has sponsored contest every year in the schools: American History Essay, Home Making, and Good Citizens.  It has a scholarship fund which has furnished loans to students in need of help.  In 1966 it was hostess for a successful Division meeting.

A marker was placed by the chapter in 1936 at the northeast corner of the plaza, marking La Calle de Los Diez Amigos, or "Street of Ten Friends," named for ten men who had stores on Main Street in the early days of Victoria.

Excellent support of the DAR Magazine advertising program has been furnished by the Guadalupe Victoria Chapter.  Mrs. Wm, March, who had been Advertising Chairman since 1956, won a national award for thee pages in the March, 1968, issue.  These pages paid tribute to the preservation of an historic Texas site, Presidio La Bahia, by the Kathryn O'Connor Foundation. Mrs. O'Connor was the chapter's first Historian.

Established in 1749 as Presidio La Bahia del Spiritu Santa de Zuniga, this important fort was the site in 1836 of the massacre of Colonel Fannin and 342 men who had surrendered to the forces of General Santa Anna.  A marker for this National shrine was unveiled in the late sixties by Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson, then the nation's first lady.

The chapter's outstanding junior member is Zia Crowell Miller, who has served as page at two DAR State Conferences and, as Chairman of National Defense, has handled C.A.R.-DAR liaison, and hs given many programs and talks for both organizations.  She has served as senior officer and chairman for the Shadrack Barnes Society, C.A.R., which is sponsored by the chapter, as well as being very active in church and civic affairs and a competent wife and mother.

The Shadrack Barnes Society is the chapter's outstanding project.  Many Guadalupe Victoria Chapter members have served as senior chairmen and leaders, providing encouragement and help to C.A.R.  The Shadrack Barnes Society, a very active and enthusiastic group, held its organizing ceremony with twenty-six members in June, 1970, and closed its charter with eighty-one members in June, 1971.

The Society was acclaimed by the national C.A.R. magazine three times in one recent year as having had the most members approved of any C.A.R. society in the United States.  It has won many first and second place honors at both state and national levels and in the DAR room has four large trophies won in parades.  Last Memorial Day the society held a memorial service at Evergreen Cemetery and put flags on graves.

In all its endeavors, the Shadrack Barnes Society has been guided and assisted by the Guadalupe Victoria Chapter, which feels that C.A.R. is the nucleus of future DAR and SAR.
 

End of article



Power Home digital picture of a photo, property of webmistress.
Midi - Globe and Eagle, John Phillip Sousa Courtesy Laura's MIDI Heaven 
Globe and Eagle, John Phillip Sousa   e-ribbon e-rbon courtesy of Alon Cohen e-ribbons

Meetings  |   Officers   |   History   |  C. A. R.  |  Home   | Patriots  Visit Victoria
   
  The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
      Edited 29 May 2004
1998 - 2004 Guadalupe Victoria Chapter, TSDAR
Full Site Revision -  November 2000
Original site Visitors: 585 
VIS Chairman -  Webmistress
Billye D. Jackson
All pictures on this site are the property of Billye D. Jackson.

Sound set to stop at one cycle.  Requires sound card & plug-in.. Windows Media Player, or other.


 

We thank RootsWeb for providing space for our website!

Free Web space provided by RootsWeb