Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Hansford County Historical Markers

Source: Hansford County, Texas - Historical Landmarks
http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/

1 Courthouse
13 Historical Markers
1 Museum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brandt Building - Spearman
Cator Buffalo Camp - Gruver vicinity
Dodge City - Tascosa Trail - Spearman vicinity
Farwell, Old - Gruver vicinity
Hansford Cemetery - Spearman vicinity
Hansford County - Spearman
Hansford County Courthouse - Spearman
Lindberghs Land at Spearman - Spearman
Martin, Hansford County Sheriff Robert E. (Bob) - Spearman
Oslo Community - Gruver vicinity
Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House - Spearman
Spearman - Spearman
Spearman Hotel - Spearman
Stationmaster's House Museum - Spearman
Zulu Stockade, Site of Old - Morse vicinity



Brandt Building

Marker Number: 489
Marker Title: Brandt Building
Index Entry: Brandt Building
Address: 201 Main St.
City: Spearman
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 302783
UTM Northing: 4008479
Subject Codes: BC
Year Marker Erected: 1980
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location:
Marker Size: Medallion & Plate
Repairs Completed: OK

Marker Text: This frame commercial building with decorative sheet metal siding was constructed in 1918. D. E. Dillow built the structure for the mercantile partnership of P. M. Maize and his brother-in-law Fred Brandt (c. 1962). Originally, located in the nearby community of Hansford (6 miles west), then the county seat, it was moved to this site in 1920. Brandt became sole proprietor of the business nine years later and continued the operation until the 1950s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980.



Cator Buffalo Camp

Marker Number: 4752
Marker Title: Site of Cator Buffalo Camp
Index Entry: Cator Buffalo Camp
City: Gruver vicinity
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 280355
UTM Northing: 4002055
Subject Codes: AN
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: from Gruver take SH 136, south about 9 miles to rest stop
Marker Size: centennial marker
Repairs Completed: star missing

Marker Text: Established by James H. and Bob Cator in the spring of 1872 while hunting buffalo in the fall of 1875. The camp became a trading post known as Zulu. 1936



Dodge City - Tascosa Trail
photo submitted by
Oneida Swickard Bynum

(Click the picture for a larger view.)

Marker Number: 1238
Marker Title: Dodge City - Tascosa Trail
Index Entry: Dodge City - Tascosa Trail
City: Spearman vicinity
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 292118
UTM Northing: 4008214
Subject Codes: RD
Year Marker Erected: 1964
Marker Location: from Spearman take SH 15/207 about 6.5 miles west
Marker Size: large red granite, irregular shape, adopted as state marker in 1964
Repairs Completed: Good - seal shot at
Marker Text: --



Farwell, Old

Marker Number: 3727
Marker Title: Old Farwell
Index Entry: Farwell, Old
City: Gruver vicinity
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 286786
UTM Northing: 4013601
Subject Codes: GT
Year Marker Erected: 1964
Marker Location: from Gruver take S.H. 15, about 2 miles southeast
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: Good

Marker Text: Established 1886 about 1/2 mile northeast of this site. Intended to be county seat of Hansford County, created 1876, organized in 1889. Lost election to town of Hansford, which served till 1928 but is also now non-existent. Named for early surveyor John V. Farwell and members of his family, Chicago department store executives who operated XIT Ranch in this and 9 other counties - their fee in payment for building of the Texas State Capitol, 1882-86. Stones here are from the casing of a 200 foot well dug by hand to supply water to the town. (1964)



Hansford Cemetery

Marker Number: 2365
Marker Title: Hansford Cemetery
Index Entry: Hansford Cemetery
City: Spearman vicinity
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 293641
UTM Northing: 4007985
Subject Codes: GY
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: from Spearman take SH 15/207 about 6 miles to cemetery
Marker Size: 20" x 20"
Repairs Completed: Good

Marker Text: First burial ground set aside in this county. Earliest grave (1890) was that of Mrs. Alfie P. Magee, wife of the first sheriff. Also, buried here: the Cator brothers, founders of Zulu Stockade; and the Wright brothers, early ranchers. Only official cemetery in county until 1928; is still in use. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.



Hansford County

Marker Number: 2366
Marker Title: Hansford County
Index Entry: Hansford County
City: Spearman
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 305975
UTM Northing: 4011550
Subject Codes: CO
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Size: 36' Centennial - Highway Marker (pink)
Repairs Completed: replace round plate - bullet hole

Marker Text: Formed form Young and Bexas territories. Created, August 21, 1876. Organized, March 11, 1889. Named in honor of John M. Hansford; came to Texas in 1837. Member of the Texas Congress, Judge of the Seventh Judical District, 1840-1842. Died in 1844. Hansford, the county seat. (1965)



Hansford County Courthouse

ID: 208
County: Hansford
City: Spearman
Current Use: Active Courthouse
Owner: County
Construction Date: 1931
Contractor: Kreipke Construction Co.
Style: Moderne
Description: 3-story, brick and cast concrete structure with casement windows and a vertical entrance with relief decoration. Cast stone has also been used to create a swag motif at the upper corners of each "block" of the building.
Substantial Modifications: -1958: Expanded and remodeled by John P. Merk, architect.



Lindberghs Land at Spearman
photo submitted by
Oneida Swickard Bynum

(Click the picture for a larger view.)

Marker Number: 3086
Marker Title: Lindberghs Land at Spearman
Index Entry: Lindberghs Land at Spearman
City: Spearman
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 300921
UTM Northing: 4006009
Subject Codes: AV
Year Marker Erected: 1989
Marker Location: from Spearman take SH 207 south about 0.4 mile to marker
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Repairs Completed: Good

Marker Text: At ten minutes before 11:00 a.m. on Monday, September 24, 1934, a small monocoupe airplane landed in a pasture about 1/4 mile west of this site. The pilot taxied his craft to a stop near a windmill, deplaned, and asked the curious resident, "Lady, can I park my plane in your back yard?" The day proved a momentous one for Spearman residents. The pilot was Charles Augustus Lindbergh (1902-1974), traveling from California to New York with his wife, Anne. With about one hundred miles worth of fuel left in his plane, Lindbergh chose to stop in this small community to refuel in oder to avoid the inevitable crowds his arrival would cause in a larger town. A passing motorist was sent into town to purchase fuel for the airplane while the Lindberghs rested, enjoyed refreshments, and gave their hostess a tour of the airplane. As news of the Lindberghs' landing spread, school children were excused from classes to see the famous aviator and watch the plane depart two hours later. Although brief in duration, the visit by Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh to this small rural community was a significant local event. (1989) (1989)



Martin, Hansford County Sheriff Robert E. (Bob)
photo submitted by
Oneida Swickard Bynum

(Click the picture for a larger view.)

Marker Number: 2367
Marker Title: Hansford County Sheriff Robert E. (Bob) Martin
Index Entry: Martin, Robert E. (Bob), Hansford County Sheriff
City: Spearman
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 302502
UTM Northing: 4008662
Subject Codes: SF
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Marker Location: Hansford County Courthouse, Main at Court
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: weathered; refinish! -CH

Marker Text: Killed while assisting United States marshal making arrest in boundary line dispute in the northwestern part of county. Like many frontier sheriffs, he was a cowboy and farmer chosen for office out of regard for his standing as a good citizen. Came to Hansford, 1906, bought a section of land. Eager to see area develop, he ran a livery stable. This provided for land prospectors from the north and east the only means of travel to seek out and buy property. He married Sophia Snowden; had 10 children. Was sheriff from 1908 until his untimely death. (1965)



Oslo Community

Marker Number: 3857
Marker Title: Olso Community
Index Entry: Oslo Community
City: Gruver vicinity
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 273387
UTM Northing: 4034724
Subject Codes: CY; LD; NR
Year Marker Erected: 1981
Marker Location: from Gruver take S.H. 136 about 6 miles north; head west on F.M. 2535 about 6 miles; turn north on F.M. 1262, continue for 5 miles, then turn west on F.M. 2349 to Oslo Community
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Repairs Completed: slightly faded; refinish

Marker Text: In 1908 Anders L. Mordt, a native of Norway, secured from R. M. Thomson and R. T. Anderson the sales rights to 100 sections of Hansford County land he named Oslo. The first settlers were recruited from existing Norwegian colonies in the midwestern United States. To promote the development, Mordt advertised his inexpensive Texas land in major Norwegian language publications across the nation. He also published a weekly newspaper, The "Oslo Posten", and organized an annual Norwegian Independence Day celebration, "Syttende Mai" (May 17), which attracted crowds from surrounding towns in Oklahoma and Texas. Community worship services were first conducted at the Oslo schoolhouse in 1909 by the Rev. Christian Heltne. Officially organized the following year, the Olso Lutheran Church became the center of the farming settlement. Mordt's land sales ended in 1913 as a result of a severe drought. When the Denver and Gulf Railroad decided to bypass the area, the townsite of Oslo (2.5 miles south) declined. Although many settlers moved away, more than thirty families remained. Today the Olso Lutheran Church serves as a remainder of the area's Norwegian Heritage. (1981)



Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House

Marker Number: 4581
Marker Title: Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House
Index Entry: Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House
Address: 30 S. Townsend
City: Spearman
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 302371
UTM Northing: 4008147
Subject Codes: BH; RR
Year Marker Erected: 1978
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Size: Medallion & Plate
Repairs Completed: OK, but yellow paint from house on part - volunteer repaint

Marker Text: When Spearman was founded on a branch of the Santa Fe Railroad in 1920, this cottage was built for the stationmaster. As local agent for the railroad, he represented a business vital to the economy of this area. He supervised passenger and freight service, operation of the telegraph, and loading of the U.S. mail. In the 1920s, the station here was especially busy, handling supplies and equipment for oil and gas fields in the Panhandle. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1978.



Spearman

Marker Number: 5004
Marker Title: Spearman
Index Entry: Spearman
City: Spearman
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: did not locate

Marker Text: Founded 1917; incorporated 1921. Named for Thomas C. Spearman, a vice-president and head of the Land Department of the Santa Fe Railway. The Santa Fe line was completed to Spearman in 1920, making this the first railroad shipping point in the county. Hansford County, created 1876 and organized 1889, relocated its county seat here in 1929. The courthouse was built 1931. Center for agriculture, wheat storage, ranching, and petroleum industry. Early 1960s growth included 25 new businesses in two years. Streets paved with brick make city distinctive.



Spearman Hotel

Marker Number: 5005
Marker Title: Spearman Hotel
Index Entry: Spearman Hotel
Address: 502 S. Davis St.
City: Spearman
County: Hansford
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 302733
UTM Northing: 4008421
Subject Codes: IN
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Size: Medallion & Plate

Marker Text: Built 1909, by Bert O. Cator, J. H. Wright and S. B. Hale, Hansford County pioneers. Cator had built first dugout in the Panhandle, 1873; Hale was first druggist in Old Hansford; Wright promoted town of Hansford, now abandoned. Victorian architecture. This was first hotel erected in Hansford. In 1920 building was moved 6 miles east to Spearman, after railroad came into county at this point. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.



Stationmaster's House Museum

Form Number: 403
Update: 1997-09-17 00:00:00
Date of Last Survey: 1995
Museum Name: Stationmaster's House Museum
Mailing Address: 30 South Townsend
City: Spearman
Zip code: 79081
Area Code: 806
Phone: 659-3008
County: Hansford
Senate District: 31
House of Representatives District: 19
: Joanne Eaton
Area Code: 806
Phone Number: 659-2000
Governing Authority: County
Annual Attendance: 800
Number of Volunteers: 4
Number of Paid Staff: Full Time: 1
Number of Trustees on Board: 18
Director: Joel Lee Lackey
Museum Classification: History, Historic Site, Historic House, Other, Non-Historic Structure, Museum Building Type:
Historic Designations: 1
Historic Designation: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Types of Exhibits/Collections: Military, Photos, Historical, Local/Pioneer History
Funding Sources: County, Donations
Changing Exhibits? Yes: 1
Changing Exhibits? Occasionally: 1
Educational Programs: Guided Tours, School Tours, Hands-on Activities for Children



Zulu Stockade, Site of Old

Marker Number: 4867
Marker Title: Site of Old Zulu Stockade
Index Entry: Zulu Stockade, Site of Old
City: Morse vicinity
County: Hansford
Subject Codes: MK; NA; RD
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Marker Location: 4 mi. N of Morse on SH 136, then 1 mi. W on FM 520
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: located, but not seen - on private property, soon to be moved to the highway

Marker Text: In 1875, a large, two-room pole building furnished with staple groceries and ammunition became the first trading post in Texas above the Canadian River. The stockade, located in Indian-infested country, was fittingly named for the fierce Zulu tribe of Africa. It began as a buffalo camp which crack hunters Jim and Bob Cator (from England) had made the first permanent Panhandle residence at Christmas, 1873. In 1876 Zulu became a major depot on the Ft. Dodge-Ft. Bascom military road, and it eventually received a post office contract. It was finally abandoned, 1912. (1968)
 

Back

This page was last updated January 31, 2005.