History of the
At the end of the
War Between the States when so many counties and county seats in Texas were
named for heroes and veterans, a county was formed in North Central Texas and
named Hood County for General John Bell Hood, with the county seat being named
Granbury for General Hiram B. Granbury.
The Gen. Hiram B
Granbury Chapter 683, Granbury, was chartered May 12, 1903, with 49 members.
These ladies had big plans and they immediately started a monument fund to erect
a statue of General Hiram B. Granbury. The first year they collected $14.50. By
1906, they had received an estimate on the statue of $1,800. Their plan was to
have each surviving member of Granbury's Brigade present at the unveiling of the
monument. The President reported in the 1907 chapter report that they had
erected the foundation of the statue. In 1909 she reported, "have realized quite
a little sum for our Monument Fund." The report of 1910 states, "owing to the
financial crisis of last fall and the continued drought this year we have
collected only a few dollars." However, they were still able to award nineteen
Crosses of Honor that year to Veterans. 1913 was a quiet year, "owing to a
contagious epidemic in the city." They helped raise money in 1914 to help send
some of the county Veterans to the U.C.V. Convention in Chattanooga, TN. IN
1916, they entered into the contract for the monument. Finally, on September 14,
1916, the beautiful twenty-two foot high granite monument was unveiled.
Statue of General Hiram B.
Granbury at the Hood County Courthouse and the ladies of the Granbury UDC
Chapter, March 2009.
report states, "Since the monument was completed, the chapter voted to let all
future work be to relieve all distressed Veterans and their wives or widows
residing in the county." They also set aside the first Sunday in each month to
meet with the Veterans in a get-together meeting, hoping by this means to make
at least one afternoon in the month one of cheer to these old members whose
ranks were thinning so rapidly.
members were always busy either helping the Veterans, sending baskets to the
Soldier's Home in Austin, placing portraits of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis
in public schools, or awarding a gold medal in 1912 to a student for having the
best essay on "The Confederate Soldier."
For some reason,
the chapter disbanded in 1922.
However, the Gen.
Hiram B. Granbury Chapter 683, Granbury, was reactivated by rechartering on July
18, 1994 with seventeen members.
January 07, 2013
The name 'United Daughters of the
Confederacy' is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not
be used outside the Organization without the express written consent of the
United Daughters of the Confederacy. The official UDC insignia is a registered
trademark of the General Organization and may not be used without the express
written consent of the President General.