From Hillsboro, go north on HWY 81 toward Itasca for about 8 miles. Turn left
on FM 3147. It is about 1 to 1 1/2 miles down on the right. (Note: right
before you get to HCR 4224.) It is hard to see when going west, but it is in
clump of trees. Very clean to be so old. View Map.
Inventoried by Yvonne Akin July 15, 2003. We want to thank Mr. Will Lowrance for the additions and corrections for this cemetery.
Please send corrections, updates and information to Hill County Crossroads.
|click to enlarge picture|
Note: The Eureka Cemetery Association is seeking to locate family of those buried in the Cemetery. If you have information on any of the names listed below please notify Will Lowrance, Secretary/Treasurer of Eureka Cemetery Association, P. O. Box 563, Hillsboro, Tx. 76645; email@example.com; or 254-580-5379. Eureka Cemetery is located between Itasca and Lovelace, west of Hwy. 81 on FM 3147
EUREKA CEMETERY ASSOCIATION FORMED
Incorporation papers for the Eureka Cemetery Association were received and approved by the Office of the Secretary of State on May 9, 2008, and Internal Revenue Service has awarded tax exempt status effective on that date. The Association was created to restore and maintain the historic Eureka Cemetery, located on 0.98 acres of land in the Ellen Chapman Survey between Itasca and Lovelace near the intersection of FM 3147 and HCR 4224.
The cemetery sits on private property that has remained in the same family since 1874. William R. Kimmons purchased the farm in May 1874 and made burial space available for his family and neighbors. There are 20 marked graves in the cemetery, the first in 1886.The property today is owned by Kimmonsí great-grandson, Bill Bledsoe of Sherman.
The Eureka Community was settled after the War Between the States, and early families included Kimmons, Eagleston, McDaniel, Faries, Clack, London, Hambright, Priddy, Hamilton, and Wilson. A school (later moved farther east on FM 3147) was originally located on Coleman Creek just east of the Cemetery, and a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was constructed there in 1890. Eureka never had a store, cotton gin or blacksmith shop, depending instead on Lovelace and Itasca for those services.
Removal of brush and vines has been accomplished and an inventory of graves has been prepared. Tax-deductible contributions to help level and reset the markers are welcome and can be mailed to Will Lowrance, Secretary/Treasurer of Eureka Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 563, Hillsboro, TX 76645. For additional information call Lowrance at 254.580.5379.
|Atkins||Eben B.||20 Dec 1892||21 Jan 1893||Not related to the Kimmons/ buried outside fence at Eureka|
|Atkins||John B.||26 Nov 1889||11 March 1890|
|Damron||Sandy||16 Apr. 1886||19 Nov. 1888||Son of J. S. & S. E. Damron|
|Hightower||Matilda P.||30 Mar. 1868||18 May 1889||lWife of J. S. Hightower|
|Kuykendall||Claudy||13 April 1895||3 Sept 1895||Dau. of John & Martha Kuykendall|
|Kuykendall||Sallie||8 June 1890||23 June 1892||Dau of John & Martha Kuykendall|
|McDonald||D. A.||8 Sep. 1891||21 Jan. 1894||Son of J. A. & Bettie McDonald|
|McDonald||J. W.||30 Nov. 1886||22 Feb. 1894||Son of J. A. & Bettie McDonald|
|Martin||N. J.||22 Sep. 1887||13 Sep. 1892||Dau. of M. P. & R. B. Martin|
|Rogers||Albert||9 Oct. 1889||22 Mar. 1891|
|Smith||Oscar||9 Oct 1895||26 Mar. 1898|
|Smith||W. B.||17 Aug 1842||24 Mar. 1917||Col. L, 6th Alabama Infantry CSA|
|West||Infant||14 Oct. 1893||14 Oct. 1893||Dau. of G. W. & E. B. West|
The following are buried in the Kimmons Family Plot and are marked with an iron fence:
Information is not needed on these burials.
|Kimmons||Elizabeth Burgess||21 May 1821||12 Jan 1899||Rest Mother, rest in quiet sleep While friends sorrow o'er thee weep.|
|Kimmons||Willie Damron||26 Sept 1886||3 April 1887||Son of W R & Ella Eagleston Kimmons|
|Kimmons||Hattie Blanch||12 Sept 1892||7 Jan 1901||Dau of W R & Ella Eagleston Kimmons|
|Eagleston||James||19 March 1826||30 July 1905|
|Eagleston||James Thaniel||5 Nov. 1874||20 Oct 1899||Son of James Eagleston|
|Eagleston||James||12 May 1900||29 May 1903||Son of James Thaniel Eagleston|