HILLSBORO MIRROR WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26, 1945
SIXTIETH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY OF MR. and MRS. G .A. FREEMAN CELEBRATED WITH OPEN HOUSE
Mr. and Mrs. George A. Freeman of Blum were honored Sunday at the their home in Blum when their eight children entertained informally in celebration of their parents sixtieth wedding anniversary.
At the noon hour a chicken dinner and its accompantments was served to members of the immediate family and several relatives and close friends. Friends called during the afternoon.
A gold color scheme was reflected in the floral decorations and table appointments. Tall baskets of yellow dablias and zinnias accented with gold mallne bows were used in the living room. The dining table was laid with an ecru lace cloth over gold satin and featured a centerpiece of a diamond shaped arrangement of gold ribbon, fern, and marigolds.
The guests were greeted by Mrs. W. M. Gartman who also presided at the register. After a visit with the honorees, the guests were invited into the dining room where punch and individual cakes decorated with and the numerals 60 were served by Mrs. Seth Davis.
The only program for the afternoon was a sermon delivered by W. N. Greer, Kopperl, former pastor and close friend of the family. His subject was The Influence of a Good Home. At the conclusion of his discourse, he commended the couple for establishing and maintaining a Christian home and for rearing a large family. Rev. Cooper Patrick who is now pastor of the couple, was also present.
Mr. and Mrs. Freeman are 85 and 79 years of age respectively. Both are native Texans and are in good health. They have always taken an active interest in community and church affairs. Mr. Freeman served as a deacon in the Huron Baptist Church for over half a century.
Mr. Freeman was born near Palestine, Anderson County on July 14, 1860. His Father was killed during the Civil War and his Mother died soon afterwards. He then made his home with an uncle. He came to Hill County in 1879 as a young school teacher but soon gave up teaching for farming.
Mrs. Freeman was born on March 18, 1866 at Lafette, Upshur County and moved to Hill County with her parents, Robert and Jane Workman at the age of six and settled at Pleasant View, where she lived at the time of her marriage.
On September 13, 1885, the couple were married at the Pleasant View Baptist Church. They resided in this community for three years and then purchased a farm in the Huron community five miles south of Blum, where they lived until last fall. At that time they moved into Blum.
The couple are the parents of eight children. The six living children are Robert and Royal Freeman, Blum; Rufus Freeman, Clovis, N M; Mrs. W. M. Gartman and Mrs. G. E. Wolfe, Blum; and Mrs. Sallie Davis (hard to read) of Joshua. They also have 18 grandchildren and seven great- grandchildren.
A number of useful gifts were presented to the couple, and over 100 guests called during the afternoon.