First United Methodist Church is the oldest congregation in Hillsboro. In 1856 a Methodist Circuit Rider organized worship in the Hill County Courthouse and a school for some years, but in 1882 a small frame church was completed on Waco Street. A larger building was built in 1892, followed by a brick church on the present site in 1914. A fire destroyed the building in 1928, but it was rebuilt in 1929, a testimony to the great faith of the congregation. The stained glass and stately pews provide a beautiful setting for worship, and remind us of those dedicated Hill County pioneers who created the cornerstone of our faith in this community.
Our present pastor, Rev. Reed Justus began his ministry here in June 2000. A contemporary worship service was begun in the fall of 2001. The church now offers two types of worship. Also in the fall of 2001, the congregation voted to build a Family Fellowship Center.
We appreciate Rev. Justus for the use of this history
information on this web site.