REPORTER APRIL 22, 2004 page 15a
YEAR REVIVAL FOR LINE STREET UMC
Special services Tonight Through Sunday………..
tent revival during one of the hottest months of summer led to the start
of a church in Hillsboro.
Findley has been serving in the ministry of the United Methodist Church
as a full elder for 39 years. He
is presently senior minister at First United Methodist Church in Euless.
Dr. Findley served at Line Street United Methodist Church from
1969 until 1972.
Bringing the message Friday (April 23) will be Rev. Herman Merritt, who has been serving in the ministry of the United Methodist Church as a full elder for six years. He is presently senior minister at First United Methodist Church in Breckenridge. Rev. Merritt served at Line Street United Methodist Church from 1992 until 1997. Come and hear him sing “The Holy City”.
Rev. Nanette Wyatt will speak during the Saturday evening, April 24 service. Rev. Wyatt serves as an associate minister at First United Methodist Church in Corsicana.
She is presently a student at Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University pursuing her Masters of Divinity degree.
Rev. Wyatt grew up in Hillsboro and attended Line Street United Methodist Church until 1999 when she was called into the ministry.
She will present a message and sing. She will be accompanied on the organ by her brother, Russell Keelin, a lifelong Hillsboro resident.
Rev. Claude Davison will deliver the message at the morning worship service Sunday, April 25th. Rev. Davison has served in the ministry of the United Methodist Church as a full elder for 30 years.
Even though he is presently retired, he is still active in the ministry of the Central Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church. He served Line Street United Methodist Church from 1972 until 1975.
Rev. Davison is known for his preaching as well as his singing style.
The morning worship service will be followed by a potluck luncheon.
The church was built in 1904 with Rev. Alonzo Monk serving as its first pastor.
In 1910 a church parsonage was constructed and Rev. Fletcher Isbell was the first to occupy the complete residence.
During the pastorate of Rev. David Irvin, the Kirby Church was moved in and added on as a Sunday school room in 1926.
Rev. Pat Leach was serving as the church’s pastor when he passed away August 20, 1931.
In either 1932 or 1933, Pastor W. J. Hearon’s wife passed away while living in the parsonage.
During Rev. A. G. Standlee’s pastorate, from 1945 until 1948, several rooms and a fellowship hall were added on.
The Peoria Church united with Line Street United Methodist Church in 1951 and the building in Peoria was moved in and became an annex for the children’s department.
On the 50th anniversary of the church, Rev. George Greeborn was pastor.
The church’s then 48 year- old original parsonage was sold and moved. A new parsonage was built and an open house was held April 20, 1958.
During the time of 1958 until 1964, Rev. C. A. Mangham was pastor and occupied the residence along with his wife, Gloria.
On May 28, 1962, the Matthew church closed and a large number of its membership joined Line Street. That same year an organ was purchased for the church with the help of donations.
Then came the 60th anniversary in 1964, which included a homecoming on October 18 while Rev. Bob Cook was pastor.
Between the years of 1967 and 1968, members of Midway and Vaughan church joined the local congregation.
The old church was subsequently sold, and on April 20, 1969, groundbreaking services were held to build a new church. This was while Rev. Denzie Wright was pastor.
During the construction time, the congregation worshipped in the old Catholic Church at 213 Corsicana Street.
The church was completed that same year and a Consecration Service was held September 7, 1969.
Conducting the services were Bishop Kenneth Pope, D. S., Dr. Bruce Weaver, and Dr. Finley, pastor of the church. Rev. Finley was the first pastor in the church building.
That same year the Bynum Methodist Church closed and many members transferred to Line Street.
Church members conducted a note burning ceremony on February 3, 1980 when Rev. Ellis Holden was pastor.
The church purchased an adjoining lot last year. Currently serving as the church’s pastor is Rev. Cathy Bourgoin.
The church is located at 304 Line Street and the public is welcome to attend.