Hopkins County Marriage Records 1966 - 2002
Hopkins Co. TX - Marriages - 1865-1875 (Black marriages)
After the Civil War the first Hopkins County Black marriages were recorded in a separate book. Some only show the marriage license as being issued, but not returned for recording.
Record Book I For Black Marriages 1865 - 1875, by Jane E. Tuck
Archived Marriage Announcements
Miscellaneous Marriage Announcements 1920
From Hopkins County Marriages No. 1, 1920, By June E. Tuck
Tarrant Methodist Episcopal Church South
Register of Marriages, 1893
Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church
Register of Marriages, 1912 - 1956
FamilySearch: Texas Marriages, 1837-1973
From the historical files of June E. Tuck, who does not validate or dispute any historical facts in the article. Paper clipping not dated.
ASKEW - WILLIAMS
Maury Askew and Miss Rosia Williams were married in Black Jack Grove (now Cumby). Rev. Mr. Alexander, officiating. The nuptials were solemnized at the home of the Drummer, and after the marriage the contracting parties returned to Sulphur Springs and are now at home to their friends at residence of Mr. John Buford, corner of College and Deport (now Oak Ave.) Streets. Will Buford and Miss Minnie Williams, sister of the bride, and John Ferguson and Miss Allie Jones were attendants, and shortly after the marriage the merry party arrived in Sulphur Springs. Miss Williams is the pretty and cultured daughter of Dr. Williams.
BRINKER - ROGERS
As we go to press we learn that Mr. Ed Brinker and Miss Vinnie Rogers have become husband and wife. The connubial ceremony was pronounced just a few minutes before the train left here for Greenville, and it was kept almost a profound secret from their friends and relatives. They will visit St. Louis and other cities before their return home. Mr. Brinker is a very popular business young man and should be congratulated for winning the hand and heart of so noble a girl. Miss Rogers has been reared in our city from her childhood and there is no one who is more popular and more loved. The Gazette unites with many friends in extending congratulations to them.
* * * * * * * *
Sulphur Spring City Cemetery
E. R. Brinker - b. 12 Jan. 1872, d. 25 Feb. 1952
Vinnie Brinker - b. 18 Jly. 1874, d. 18 Ap. 1958
Mr. Claud Camp and Miss Sallie Williams
Married last Wednesday night at the residence of Mr. Cy Williams, the father of the bride, Rev. Casey officiating, Mr. Claud Camp and Miss Sallie Williams. The groom is a son of Col. B. M. Camp, and is an educated and cultured young man with the ability to apply what he knows to the practical affairs of life. Miss Sallie Williams is a native of this city and has had the advantage of our excellent schools and other advantages resulting in making her in every way worthy the love and care of her husband. The "Echo" wishes the happy couple much good and that no evil shall betide them. The dress of the bride was of delicate baby blue, silk ribbons, trimmed with plaiting and ribbon, to match; ornaments of orange blossoms artistically arranged in the hair and in corsage bouquet; gloves also of baby blue reaching to the shoulders.
The groom wore the conventional black, white tie and gloves, and with that ease and grace which marks him in society made altogether an elegant appearance.
Miss Lena Brewer of Black Jack Grove (Cumby) and Mr. Joe Bradfield preceded the bride party into parlor in order that Miss Lena could play the wedding march, which she did with credit. Miss Lena was beautifully dressed in cream silk trimmed with swansdown. Mr. Bradfield was dressed in same style as groom.
Next couple being first bridesmaid and groomsman, Mr. Elmer Camp and Miss Mamie Brinker. Mr. Camp was dressed in same style as groom, while Miss Mamie was dressed of cream Henretta trimmed with pearl pesementy (sic) ornaments of orange blossoms. The last of the bridal party were Mr. Will Rogers and Miss Ollie Williams. Mr. Rogers was dressed in same style as groom, and Miss Ollie was dressed of cream albatross trimmed with cream satin.
The reception given by Hon. B. M. Camp and wife, was an occasion never to be forgotten by the many participating friends of Col. Camp and lady. Truly it can be said that these friends were all lavishly feasted and royally entertained on Wednesday evening. Vine Hill Cottage, the home of Col. Camp and family, has long been a cherished retreat where the young people of Sulphur Springs love to go and enjoy the warm hospitality which all receive at this model southern home.
Mr. and Mrs. Camp have spared no effort to make this the most attractive place on earth to their two sons and their associates. The sober business habits, together with the sound moral characters of these two model young men are their reward for a long and continued southern hospitality.
The following are list of gifts they received: B. M. Camp - Deed to the Enochs fruit and berry farm, one mile south of the city. Col. J. A. Weaver and lady - Family Bible J. F. Carter and lady - Salad Dish
Beck - Sparks Wedding
The Echo paper article was not dated. I do know it will be dated between the 1875 and 1899. One can check the Hopkins County marriage records to get the date. In those years most all the wedding articles were done by the editor of the paper, not by family members.
BECK - SPARKS
Married last Wednesday at 8 p.m., Mr. Ed Beck to Miss Lonie Sparks at the residence of the brides father, Capt. J. W. Sparks, Rev. Gaddy officiating. The ceremony was sacred, pleasurable and impressive. The parents of the both the groom and bride were present shared its joys and entered into it as heartily as if repeating their own weddings. All in all it was an occasion long to be remembered and one o f which the happy husband and beautiful bride can look back upon from every after condition in life, with pleasure and satisfaction. After the ceremony the invited guests partook of the wedding feast superintended by Mrs. John Lollar, with Capt. Tuck Sparks master of ceremonies. The bill of fare embraced four separate courses, and appetite affiliated with hospitality and social feature of the occasion. The feast was sumptuous, composed of edibles, rich in quality, quantity and variety and the drinks were delicious, but not intoxicating. The charming bride was the central figure of this happy event. Everything she said, done and move expressed loveliness and wifely affection., Beside her rare beauty and modest, her chief ornament was a confiding, loving expression for her lover husband. The groom and bride were happy in each other. They had the good wishes of all their friends, hence all was beautiful and appropriate, nothing wanting., everything complete. On the following day the happy couple left on their wedding tour for Galveston. The Echo wishes the happy couple and their parents who have each gained, rather than lost a child, all the success and happiness in this life, and assured and that it is in spirit and fact their very best well wishes.
Gumport - Russell Marriage and Wilson - James Marriage, from the historical files of June E. Tuck. The Gazette paper article was not dated. I do know it will be dated between the 1875and 1899. One can check the Hopkins County marriage records to get the date. In those years most all the wedding articles were done by the editor of the paper, not by family members.
Yesterday morning, as the church bells were pealing forth their deep-toned invitations to attend Sabbath school, Ike Gumport and Miss Lizzie Russell, accompanied by Mrs. Conely, aunt of the bride, took a carriage and were quickly driven to the Methodist parsonage, and were married by the pastor, Rev. Mr. Sweeton. The party, after a brief stop at the home of the bride on Gilmer street where congratulations were received, then drove to the East Line depot, taking the train for Greenville. Mrs. Conely, Mr. Bose Wilson and Miss Mattie James accompanying the bridal party. All returned last night, and Mr. and Mrs. Gumport have taken apartments at Mrs. Russells. Mr. Gumport, groom, has lived in Sulphur Springs since early boyhood, and has many friends here. He is an energetic and capable business man and has built up a profitable business in the city. The bride is a native of this city, and a very charming young lady. The Gazette wishes them much happiness.
Also added - While the Gumport-Russell bridal party were in Greenville, Cupid engineered another little game. Mr. Bose Wilson and Miss Mattie James, both of Bonham, were of the party, and as marrying was in vogue, they decided to embark in the same line. A license was soon procured, and the couple were married. The bride was here on a visit with her grandmother, Mrs. Russell, and is a very handsome lady. They returned to the city last night with Mr. Mrs. Gumport
Price - Denton Wedding,from the historical files of June E. Tuck. Newspaper clipping not dated
PRICE - DENTON
Marriage license was issued last evening to Henry Sterling Price and Mary Elizabeth Denton. The ceremony making of these twain one lush was performed at eleven a. m. at Eastman College by Rev. J. D. Leslie of Paris. The happy pair left on the west bound Cotton Belt for Paris, their future home. Mr. Price is a native and life-long resident of Paris and for several years has been engaged in the cotton business. He is connected with one of the oldest and most prominent families of that city. Miss Denton is a sister of Mrs. Eastman, and a lady of most amiable disposition and cultured mind. For some years she has been a teacher in the city schools at Paris. We congratulate Sterling on winning so precious a prize and wish for them a long life and a happy one.
(Eastman College was in Sulphur Springs, Hopkins County, Texas)
From the historical files of June E. Tuck. Newspaper clipping not dated
SPENCER - CONNOR
From the beginning of the new year we have had only one quiet wedding which took place last Thursday evening which were Mr. Jim Spencer and Miss Eff Connor. The only couple that attended was Mr. George Johnson and Miss Helen White who accompanied the happy pair to the home of Rev. Whooten where he pronounced the short but beautiful ceremony that joined them for wed or for woe after which they returned to the home of the bride where a sumptuous supper was spread. The bride and groom are both young people well and favorably known by all and raised in this community where they have many friends whose best wishes follow them to their new home.
H W Tapp & Zerva Pate Wedding Hugh T Pangburn & Fannie Mae Tapp Wedding March 8, 1899. From the historical files of June E. Tuck, who does not validate or dispute any historical facts in the article.
Mr. Hugh T. Pangburn and Miss Fannie Mae Tapp Mr. H. W. Tapp and Miss Zerva Pate
Married at the Methodist Church, in this city, on March 8, 1899, Mr. Hugh T. Pangburn and Miss Fannie Mae Tapp, and Mr. H. W. Tapp and Miss Zerva Pate with Dr. W. L. Lowrance and Rev. M. M. Smith officiating clergy.
The Methodist church, beautifully decorated, was filled with relatives, friends and acquaintances, when at 12 m. the sweet strains of the wedding march, played by Mrs. Charlton McDaniel, were heard accompanying the sweeter voice of Mrs. W. F. Skillman, as the wedding party wended their way up the aisle to the altar where were to be spoken the words that united hands and hearts in the most sacred of earthly bonds. The song so appropriate to the occasion was, "O Promise Me."
The ushers were Will Morehead, Clyde Sweeton, Jim Tapp and Neal Beck; the attendants were Mr. Mayfield of Dallas, with Miss Tracy Baerwald; Mr. George Beall with Miss Mamie Miller; Mr. Junius Lynch with Miss Annie Belle Crow. The orchestra was composed of Messrs. Theo Wester and Chas Higgins, violinists; Arthur Ewing, cornet; Harry Procter, baritone; and Mrs. Charlton McDaniel, organist.
We cannot describe the costumes, (as our society reporter is absent) but they looked pretty and sweet and happy. It was a beautiful wedding, ceremonies, brides, bridesmaids, and we trust the beginning of beautiful and happy married lives. Mr. Pangburn is a prominent business man in Dallas. Mr. Tapp is one of our worthiest and most successful young men, and the girls, well, they are Sulphur Springs girls, whom every one loves and respects. The Gazette for itself, and its readers, extends hearty good wishes.
Thomas - McDonald Wedding. From the historical files of June E. Tuck. Newspaper clipping not dated
THOMAS - McDONALD
Mac Thomas and Miss Mary McDonald were married in this city last night at the residence of W. P. McDonald, the father of the bride, Rev. Mr. Stuart officiating. Only a few relatives and friends were present. Mr. Thomas is a young and prosperous business man of our city, and his bride a charming and popular young lady.
From the historical files of June E. Tuck. The article was not dated.
Rev. D. J. Martin performed the marriage ceremony for Mr. Luke Weaver and Miss Julia Lyon (sic), Wednesday the 25th inst. at 1:30 p.m. at the residence of the uncle of the bride, Mr. B. D. Foscue. The happy and well mated coupe left the same evening for the Dallas fair and Galveston. They have the good wishes of all who know them. Mr. Luke Weaver, is the youngest son of Col. J. A. Weaver. He has had good advantages and has made proper use of them. He has fine ability, splendid appearance with solid character and the disposition to push along and keep moving. Miss Julia is one of the sweetest and most lovable young ladies in northeast Texas. She was educated at Mrs. Kidd Female College at Sherman. The following presents attest the good will of many friends:
Diamond earrings from the groom - Silver water service, Col. and Mrs. Weaver - Sugar Bowl and one dozen tea spoon, Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Smith, Teneha, Texas - Set table spoons, Mrs. B. D. Foscue - Set tea spoon, Mr. and Mrs. Phil Foscue - Set of forks, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Whitworth - Pickle stand, Bessie Whitworth - Card receiver, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Williams - After dinner spoons, Ira Byrd - Nut and set and sugar scoop, Misses Vinnie Rogers and Mamie Brinker - Bon Bon basket, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Miller - Napkin rings, Sallie and Lester Lewis - Syrup pitcher and waiter, Misses Mollie and Lieta Patrick - Buggy and Harness, John and Dude Will Weaver - Plush antique oak couch, Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Weaver - Sewing machine, F. M. Weaver and family - Pair plush erchers (sic), Messrs. Reb Phillips, Walter Brinker, R. P. Mann, J. B. Calvert - Piano lamp, Miss Pearl Phillips and John Colquitt - Pastille picture and throw, Miss Ashcroft, Baerwald, Carothers - Chamber set, Johnson Bros., W. C. Rogers, W. R. Johnson, Jr. - Fish set, Mr. and Mrs. S. P. Mann - Berry set, Mrs. Ann Patrick - Butter dish, Mrs. White, Gainesville - Two oat meal sets and set nut plates, Bob Searls and Willie O’Neal - Berry saucers, Miss Sallie Williams - Flower bowl, Harry Rogers - Table cloth and one dozen napkins, R. B. Carothers and E. R. Brinker - Half dozen linen napkin, Miss Fannie Whitworth - Pair embroidered pillow shams, Miss Belle Whitworth - One dozen doylies, Mr. and Mrs. T. S. Christian - Box cigars, J. H. Hartsfield - Napkins and towels, Miss Ina F. Lewis - Towels, Misses Lizzie and Veva Russell - Jewel stand, Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Foscue, Waco, Texas - Cup and Saucer, Aunt Julia Holman (col.) - Preserve stand, Aunt Affy (col) - Check, B. D. Foscue.
Miss Mary Grace Moore, daughter of Mrs. Charlie Walls of Mt. Vernon, and Mr. Paul Arthur of Saltillo, were united in marriage Monday night, September 19.
Mrs. Arthur is well known here, having attended E. T. S. T. C.
Paul Arthur, brother of Noble Arthur of this city, also attended the College here, and has many friends in this part of the country.
They will be at home at Saltillo for a short time.
The Commerce Journal, Commerce, TX, September 23, 1927
transcribed by T.S.S.