Daniel M. Coleman, born
in Perry County, Alabama, August 23, 1818, came to Houston
County, Texas, in 1851 with his mother Nancy Dean Coleman.
They settled on a plantation four miles southeast of Crockett
(US 287), then known as Coleman Plantation (during the
1950-1970's known as the Stockton Farm). His mother moved
onto Anderson County, another brother Nathaniel P. "Nat" Coleman
settled on a Henderson County plantation near Athens.
Prior to and during the
Civil War, Coleman was engaged in large scale planting on the
Before moving to Texas
he had married Louisa Matlock. Three of their children who
lived on the plantation and later in Crockett were Cornelia,
Josephine and Walter who sold the family plantation to W.V.
Berry in 1888.
Daniel Coleman is
especially remembered for buying the house at 709 E. Houston,
Crockett, from A.T. Monroe about 1858-1859, and living there
until 1880. He sold the house to Oliver C. Aldrich and
moved to Henderson County to live with his brother, Nat.
Daniel Coleman left a legacy of memories for the now
historically restored Monroe-Crook house.
Daniel M. Coleman died
on February 6, 1895. His wife Louisa C. Coleman was born
August 29, 1826 and died April 1, 1875 and is buried in the
Glenwood Cemetery, Crockett, TX. There is no headstone in
that cemetery for Daniel M. Coleman in the Glenwood Cemetery...
burial location unknown.
"History of Houston
County Texas 1687-1979"