Search billions of records on

Thomas P. Collins Mrs. Emma (Bishop) Collins Mrs. Mary (Collins) Douglas
Thomas P. Collins Emma (Bishop) Collins - 2nd wife to Thomas P. Mary (Collins) Douglas
Thomas P. Collins house with wife, daughter, & slave Park Hill house
Collins home showing wife, on porch, daughter & slave in yard Park Hill house - home of the Thomas P. Collins family
- 1935 when it was the Colonel Fain home -

Current View of the Park Hill House - now known as Cedar Hill
Click on pictures of the home to view a larger photograph.
General Thomas P. Collins was the oldest of three brothers who, about 1830, left their native Ireland and sailed for America, settling in Crockett as his final destination.  He was probably the first merchant to begin business in Crockett, and built a large log store on the northeast corner of the public square where the Crockett Hotel later stood.

Mr. Collins was born in Cookstown, Tyrone Co., Ireland on January 12, 1800 and died in Houston County July 6, 1869; buried in the Glenwood Cemetery, Crockett, Houston Co., TX.  He was married first to Adaline Bishop who was born July 3, 1809 and died July 24, 1861; buried in the Glenwood Cemetery, Crockett, Houston Co., TX.  He then married Emma Bishop, sister to his first wife.  Emma Bishop Collins was born 1814; died April 11, 1899 and is buried in the Glenwood Cemetery, Houston Co., TX.

Thomas P. Collins had one daughter by his first wife, Mary Collins born July 7, 1842; died May 13, 1925; buried in the Glenwood Cemetery, Crockett, Houston Co., TX.  Mary Collins first married Billy Moore and after his death, she married Zacheus Wilson.  Later she married the 3rd time to Charles Douglas.  Charles E. Douglas who born April 4, 1848; and was accidently killed March 1883.   He is also buried in the Glenwood Cemetery, Crockett, Houston Co., TX.

After the death of Thomas P. Collins, Mary Collins Douglas and her stepmother (Emma) carried on the business of her father, first under the firm name of Collins & Wilson, later under the name of Collins & Douglas.

Thomas P. Collins had his first home in Crockett in what was later referred to as the Maud McConnell house.  His daughter, Mary, was born there on November 7, 1842.  Later he built one of the most notable residences of the Crockett area.  It was about one mile west of the town on the Old Navarro Road and was know as "Park Hill", later to be owned by Colonel Fain.  Later it was known as the R.R. Foley Home and today it is the Larry Christopher home and is called "Cedar Hill".

Mary Collins Douglas lived out her lifetime in the big plantation home on the hill know as "Park Hill".

Houston County, TX - TXGenWeb Project Site

Designed and Maintained by:  Billie Nichols Bennett, Coordinator