John Calvin SULLIVAN was born 1846 MS, died 14 Mar 1939,
buried Lovelady Evergreen Cemetery, Lovelady, Houston Co., TX;
he married Alma K. Sallas 25 Sep 1890 Houston Co., TX; she was
born born 09 Nov 1876 AL, and died 31 Mar 1954, buried Lovelady
Evergreen Cemetery, Lovelady, Houston Co., TX.
Parents of John Calvin Sullivan were Samuel Doxie SULLIVAN was born
July 31, 1824 in AL the son of Spencer F. & Lucinda Sullivan,
and died January 2, 1874 in Coltharp, Houston Co., TX; buried
Kilgore-Sullivan Cemetery, Davy Crockett National Forest,
Houston Co., TX. He married Lucinda SPIVEY,
daughter of Temple Carpenter SPIVEY. She was born abt. 1825 in
Bibb Co., AL, and died September 15, 1898 in Houston Co., TX.
On John Sullivan's seventh birthday he split
100 rails to help fence a corn patch. As John grew into
young boyhood, he built a Ferryboat and put it into operation on
the Neches River. This spot is still known to old-timers
in this county as "Sullivan's Crossing." This crossing is
where the bridge crosses the Neches River on Highway 7 in
At 17 years of age, John leased his Ferryboat
out to a neighbor, and rode his horse to Columbus, Texas to
receive his orders to serve in the Civil War. Sullivan
served as a Border Patrole Officer at Eagle Pass, Texas, on the
border of Mexico. When the war was over, he rode the same
horse back to Columbus, Texas and received his discharge.
Sullivan then returned to his Ferryboat business.
About 6 months later, the lord called John
into the Ministry. Selling his Ferryboat, he entered Old
Steel College and finished his high school education.
Sullivan then entered Hills Business College (now Baylor
University) in Waco, Texas. He completed his studies as an
Ordained Baptist Missionary Preacher and a School Teacher.
He taught school and preached all over East Texas, neighboring
Trinity County, and as far away as Mexia and Coolidge, Texas.
He preached on Sundays in the one-room schoolhouse where he
taught school all week long. His sermons were strictly
scriptural from the Bible. He taught all subjects to all
Sullivan came to Antioch (five miles west of
Lovelady, Texas) in Houston County to teach and preach. He
met his wife, Alma Kimble Sallas. They were married Sept.
25, 1890. They settled on the Sallas farm west of
Lovelady. To this union eight children were born.
Two died in infancy.
John Calvin Sullivan taught school until
1908. He preached until he was 85 years old. His
mode of transportation was mostly horseback. Sullivan
frequently was a guest at Rice's Stagecoach Inn during his
circuit rides throughout the county preaching and teaching.
He died March 14, 1936.
At the death of John's parents, Samuel and
Lucindy Sullivan, the land of the Neches River area was divided
up between the ten Sullivan children at 100 acres each.
All the children sold their acreage except John C. Sullivan, who
later sold his land in the year 1919 to a lumber company.
The land where these early settlers of Texas lived out their
lives is now part of the Davy Crockett National Forest.
The family cemetery plot still stands on this land, with a
tombstone marking the death of Samuel Doxie Sullivan.
Lucindy Spivey Sullivan, wife, Will Sullivan, son, and one
daughter who never married, Tera Sullivan, lies buried there
Narrative by: Bonnie Smith Gayle for
the publication "Houston County Texas History Book"
Children of John Calvin Sullivan and Alma K.
i. Lola A. SULLIVAN born Oct. 1892 TX; d. 1976.
ii. Clive SULLIVAN born Apr. 1894 TX; d. 1967.
iii. Frank SULLIVAN born Dec. 1895 TX.
iv. Ruth C. SULLIVAN born June 1898; d. 1977.
v. Joe SULLIVAN was born 1900.
vi. Irma SULLIVAN was born 1905; d. 1977.
"History of Houston County, Texas" by
permission of Eliza Bishop