WILLIAM PENN1 BISHOP was
born 27 Nov 1885 in Denson Springs, Houston Co., TX, and died 02
CAREY ANN LEGORY, daughter of
AUGUSTUS LEGORY and ELIZA WORTHAM. She was born 06 Oct 1887, and
died 17 Aug 1950.
Notes for WILLIAM PENN BISHOP:
William Penn Bishop, born at Denson Springs, north Houston
County, Thanksgiving Day. He was orphaned at three years when
his parents died of yellow fever. He stayed with an uncle for
awhile but was taken in and reared by a Palestine medical
doctor. His formal schooling ended with fourth grade but he was
a lifelong student. He yearned to become a medical doctor as was
his benefactor under whom he studied and became an apprenticed
pharmacist. Medical doctors prepared their own compounds and W.P.
Bishop was recognized within the East Texas district as a
pharmacist before his registration Certificate No. 261 was
issued under date of Sept. 17, 1907. This was a replacement
Certificate from the Texas Board of Pharmacy with signatures of
W.H. Robert, Jr., president; R.H. Walker, secretary. The
original had been burned in a fire.
That fall, Bishop answered a call for relief pharmacist in
Crockett. A.M. Decuir and Will McLean who had a drug store on E.
Houston Ave. sought his professional services. He met the high
spirited, golden-haired Carey Ann LeGory during a skirmish with
skiddish buggy horses she was driving for her mother. Carey Ann
handled the horses; Eliza LeGory, her mother, managed the shy
brown-eyed young man who dashed out to help. Mother LeGory liked
the young man and invited him into their home on the north hill.
The young man accepted and in time, Eliza and A. LeGory's
younger daughter accepted him and became his wife on Dec. 21,
Their first home was shared with Viola and Austin Woodall in
boarding house rooms, which ended with Eliza LeGory's death in
February 1910. Carey and her new husband returned to her north
hill home so she could manage for her father and brothers Gus
and Lip. W.P. Bishop purchased land south of his wife's home
which included part of the pecan orchard and built a house.
Their first born William LeGory arrived that summer. Another son
was born in 18 months to be christened Lipscomb Vaughn.
Bishop's drug store was now in operation on east corner of
square (E. Houston intersection North Fifth) with four male
employees, a porter, associate medical doctors officing upstairs
and a female telegrapher. The United States had saved the world
for democracy and here at the grass roots was peace and growth.
Following a family holiday to Hot Springs, Ark., in 1919, the
oldest son was stricken with typhoid fever. A weary, worried
mother also was stricken, developing pneumonia. The husband, an
orphaned boy who had become a man and found a lifetime partner,
closed his business to nurse his wife and son. He vowed that if
God would spare their lives, he would work but six days in his
drug store and the Sabbath would be kept. The mother and son
lived. W.P. Bishop reopened his drug store in 1920 on the south
center of the square. He kept his promise to God.
That summer, the couple, their two sons, Grandpa LeGory,
Uncles Gus and Lip with new bride, the former Ella Temple,
welcomed a baby girl. Named for two grandmothers, Eliza answered
the billboard in the front yard: "Wanted at Bishop's -- A GIRL".
Home at 629 North Fourth was a happy one with three
children's learning the disciplines of nature, that living and
giving were synonymous and knowing that special joy of coming
home bringing playmates where someone waited who cared. Carey
Ann Bishop's head and heart worked her hands overtime in making
a home for which W.P. Bishop lived and worked to provide.
Becoming a Scottish Rite Mason in 1917, W.P. Bishop studied
and advanced to K.C.C.H. in 1927 and was coroneted 33 degree. He
served as worshipful master, was a life member and secretary for
20 years of Lothrop Lodge No. 21, A.F.&A.M., past district
deputy grand master, member of Trinity Chapter No. 4 Council No.
8, R.A.M., Crockett Commandery No. 91, K.T. He was selected for
membership in the Order of Red Cross of Constantine in 1952 and
was past sovereign of the San Jacinto Conclave No. 93. Carey Ann
Bishop was a charter member and officer of O.E.S. Chapter 509.
His community involvement included board member and president of
Crockett School Board, Selective Service Board WWI, Chairman
American Red Cross; Charter member and vice-president of
Crockett Lions. Builder and leader in Presbyterian Church, he
withdrew to share and serve with his daughter as members of All
Saints Episcopal Church.
WWII in 1941 and involvement of both sons who had joined
their father in the drug store, W.P. Bishop offered his store to
a former employee whose store had burned. Bishop's Drug store
closed in mid-August 1944. W.P. Bishop continued his
professional service as relief pharmacist for area drugstores
and was able to spend and enjoy more time with his wife. Carey
Ann died August 17, 1950. Their daughter continued the home for
her father who joined his beloved partner December 2, 1959.
Ashes of Carey Bishop, who had requested cremation in 1950, were
interred with her husband in Glenwood Cemetery. "Together in
life; forever in death".
More About WILLIAM
Cemetery, Crockett, Houston Co., TX
More About CAREY ANN
Cemetery, Crockett, Houston Co., TX