Submitted by: Avis Wells Walton
Daughter of James Horace Wells
The first of our Wells family to come to Texas was John Wiley Wells, born between 1794 & 1796 in South Carolina. He was married to Sarah Dickens, who was also born in S.C. in 1807.
They came to Texas with 17
other families from Alabama. They arrived in Houston County in the 1850ís
and settled near what is now Ratcliff. They bought land and farmed in this
area. They and other families established a Primitive Baptist church at
Antioch in 1859. The Antioch Cemetery
The following are the children of John Wiley & Sarah Wells
1. Sarah Ann Wells- b. 11-13-1826 in S.C. d. 10-7-1856 in Cherokee Co. Tx. She married Robert Foster Irwin.
John Eli Wells- b. 1827 in S.C. He married
Barbara Dowdy. He died 5-5-1906 & is buried at Antioch Cemetery
3. Pickens or Richard Wells- b. abt. 1832 in Ala.
+4. James Oliver Wells- b. in 1832 in Ala. Married Perlina Sides.
5. Mary Allen Wells- b. abt. 1836, married ____ Webb.
6. Newton Wells- b. abt. 1841 in Ala.
7. Nancy Elizabeth Wells- b. abt. 1841 in Ala. Married 1. ____Vaughn 2. Bob Richie.
8. Martha Ann Wells- b. 11-23-1844 in Ala. Married Jerry C. Payne
9. Francis Wells- b. 3-24-1846 in Ala. D. 3-24-1909 married Mathew Britton Vaughn
10. Molly Marie Wells- b. abt. 1847 in Ala. Married _____ Jones.
+4. James Oliver Wells Family
He came to Texas with his family when he was 12 yrs. Old. He was married to Perlina Sides on July 5, 1857 in Houston Co. TX.
Their children were all born in Houston Co. TX.
1. Newton L.- b. 7-1-1858 married M. Warren
2. Emily E.(Lizzy) - b. 6-19-1860 d. 12-1943 married Sam Young
+3. James Oliver, II -b. 9-16-1862 d. 2-19- 1931 married Mary O. Sides
4. Martha Sue(Mattie) b. 11-19-1864
5. Nancy Jane- b. 1-26-1867 married Charlie Young
6. John Wiley- b. 3-9-1870
7. Mary F. - b. 4-25-1876 married Kenny Landrum
8. Margaret E. (Maggie) b. 1-9-1878
We donít know the date of James Oliverís death. Perlina died in 1888. It is believed that both are buried at Old Zion Cemetery, under the old cedar trees, in Houston Co. TX.
3. James Oliver Wells, II Family
James Oliver, II was born 9-16-1862 in Houston Co. Tx. He was married 1-14-1887 to Mary Sides b. in 1866. They raised their children in the Tadmor Community in Houston Co. TX.
1. Infant- died
2. Alice- b. 5-16-1889 married Ed Brewer. Buried in Houston, Texas
+3. Jesse James- b. 8-26-1891 d. 12-31-1993 lived to be 102 yrs. Old
4. Ima- b. in 1893 d. 1972 married James A Harrell, buried at Conner Cemetery.
5. Hannah- 10-3-1895 d. 6-9-1979 married Herman Smith, buried at Conner Cemetery.
6. John Alec- b. 9-14-1898 d. 2-27-1922 buried at Conner Cemetery.
7. Margarette- b. 1900 married Joe McKinney, buried at Conner Cemetery.
8. Robert L. (Bob)- b. 11-26-1902 d. 7-26-1978 buried at Conner Cemetery.
James Oliver (Jim O.) died in 1931. Mary (Molly) died in 1938. Both are buried at Conner Cemetery.
3. Jesse James Wells Family
Jesse James was born 8-26-1891 d. 12-31-1993 married Pearl McCall b. 3-6-1897 d. 3-8-1975. They raised their children in the Tadmor community.
1. James Horace- b. 7-1-1916 d. 7-6-1964 married 1. Ruby Patton 2. Christene Cook
2.Hazel Maurice- b. 9-3-1918 married 1. Nixon Leroy Pike 2. Robert Johnson
3. Leroy- b. 3-16-1921 married Lenora Hatcher
4. Lois Geraldine- b. 9-12-1923 married Herman F. Hammond
5. Kenneth Charles-b. 10-4-1933 married 1. Allie Bell Hutto 2. Mary Griffin