REGISTER OF FREEWILL (COLORED) PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, A.D. 1879
Organized July27, 1879
Rev. W. M. Viney, a Licentiate (Col.) of the Presbytery of Eastern Texas commenced holding religious services, and teaching school in a Colored community about 10 miles east of Crockett, near the farm of Mr. Jno. F. Arledge, about the beginning of 1879. Some special services were held in the latter part of April, and the latter part of June of the same year, which resulted in a number of hopeful conversions. Rev. S. F. Tenney having received authority from Presbytery to organize a Colored Church in the said community, proceeded to do so at a meeting held July 27th, 1879. The following persons were received into theorganization:
The above, having covenented to walk together as a Church, according to the principles of the Confession of Faith, Form of Government and Discipline of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, were declared to be a duly constituted Presbyterian Church.
Floyd Stanton was chosen to be a Ruling Elder and the 4th Sabbath of next month was appointed as the time for his ordination.
Richard Stanton, son of Floyd Stanton was received under the care of the Session.
It was decided to call the Church the Freewill Presbyterian Church. Rev. W. M. Viney was chosen to supply this Church once a month the present year.
The Session met, prayer being offered in connection with the service, Rev. S. F. Tenney acting as Moderator. The following persons were received, on profession of their faith in Christ and were baptized:
1 Richard Stanton
2 Mary Jones
3 Maria Jones
4 Anna Jones
was received on satisfactory evidence of his piety from the Methodist Church.