|Ratcliff CCC Camp|
Ratcliff CCC Camp Marker Erected: 1994 Marker
Location: 19.8 miles east of Crockett on SH 7, then .2 miles north on FM 227
Marker Text: J.H. Ratcliff's 1880s sawmill and village here gave way to major timber industry operations that by the early 1930s had decimated Houston County's densest virgin forest. As part of federal efforts to restore the nation's natural resources, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp F-4-T was built at this site in 1933-34, and the Davy Crockett National Forest was established in this area in 1935. CCC workers constructed fire towers, built roads, developed an old sawmill pond into a public lake with recreational facilities, and planted about 3,000,000 trees. Ratcliff CCC Camp closed in 1941.
Camp F-4 Ratcliff Lake CCC Camp
CCC Planting Crew
CCC Construction Crew 1938