Berea (Beria), at the junction of State Highway 7 and Farm Road 232 eight miles east of Crockett in east central Houston County, was established before 1900. In the mid-1930s the settlement had two churches, several stores, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War IIqv many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s the community still had a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. In the early 1990s Berea was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was forty-one.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987).